Moranga

Community Member
Mar 31, 2021
MBTI
infjjfni
Interesting video about 432 Hz tuning vs the current standard of 440 Hz

Interesting video about 432 Hz tuning vs the current standard of 440 Hz

That's a load of hogwash

It's (440hz) been made as a standard to accommodate an approachable tuning across many instruments for the sake of composition.
There's nothing magical or hidden on 432hz, it's just another possible tuning standard. whether it's better or worse than 440hz is purely subjective.

https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory-exploring-the-432hz-tuning-debate
https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/tuning-standards-explained.html
https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory-432-hz-tuning-separating-fact-from-fiction

Fiction: Your music will sound better at A=432Hz

Fact: Musical aesthetics is a flexible thing. Musicians are not obligated to use 440 Hz as their base frequencies, and many orchestras around the world use different pitches according to the music they are about to play. It is generally agreed that baroque music is to be played at around A 415Hz, classical and early romantic eras at around 425 Hz and later repertoire at 440 Hz and up.

Tuning to different pitches has subtle effects on the timbre of acoustic instruments, but makes no difference to electronically generated sounds.

Hogwash? It sounds noticeably better to me. My opinion of which i am entitled to. To each his own. Noone is telling you what to believe. Just sharing something I found interesting.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Wyote
As a conspiracy theory it's fine. It's just strange that people who keep making these claims never make any actual music with it. It's all made to sound convincing because the numbers presented look nice, but they don't sound better.
It sounds noticeably better to me

Probably because lower frequencies sound warmer. But what you hear is still built on 12 tone equal temperament, which is not what the video is trying to peddle.

As a conspiracy theory it's fine. It's just strange that people who keep making these claims never make any actual music with it. It's all made to sound convincing because the numbers presented look nice, but they don't sound better.

Probably because lower frequencies sound warmer. But what you hear is still built on 12 tone equal temperament, which is not what the video is trying to peddle.

I saw that exact video some time ago and thought it was a great debunk - thanks for posting.

@Moranga These ideas are interesting, and I wouldn't be discouraged from pursuing them just because some turn out to be most likely baseless.

Again this is your opinion Sid. You are allowed to feel however you choose. The other was Draculagu's opinion. The three articles he pasted in response as FACTs are also only opinions. All fine with me and I have no feelings either way about any of it. I like to see other perspectives. What I'm not going to do is start talking shit. I'm curious why a differing opinion affects you? Why do you care enough to want to argue it?

Last edited:
Again this is your opinion Sid. You are allowed to feel however you choose. The other was Draculagu's opinion. The three articles he pasted in response as FACTs are also only opinions. All fine with me and I have no feelings either way about any of it. I like to see other perspectives. What I'm not going to do is start talking shit. I'm curious why a differing opinion affects you? Why do you care enough to want to argue it?

I care because what they say is misleading. I'm not saying that you can't like 432hz, but you have to understand that actual 432hz music is something different from the 432hz in the video. Plus, they're literally implying that 440hz is a Nazi mind control invention. Come on now.

Point taken Sid. So you know, I didn't even remember that part of it. I was focused on this number 432 that keeps popping up everywhere. It is interesting to me and me alone. We're cool man. Thanks for sharing that with me.

" Probably because lower frequencies sound warmer."
This is exactly what I liked better. The way it feels to my ears.

Thanks for sharing this, @Moranga (sorry for being late to the party). Below is a video showing the difference in standing waves of 432 and 440 HZ tones on a chladni plate.

You can see the difference in how the tones create either "neat" or "messy" geometrical patterns on the plates. These geometries are created in physical space (although we only see the cross section of them on the plates), and when we interact with these tones (by either hearing them or just being physically in their space), it does affect us. Ben Scott and Krista Mitchell produced an album of chakra tones way back in 1998 that uses the A=432Hz tuning. I'd recommend getting it for anyone interested in this type of thing - here is the heart chakra as an example:

I've converted all of my music to 432 and am glad I did. Here is a post that explains how to convert your music to 432 if you're curious: link.

Thanks AJ. I'm glad you see what I see in it too. Very interesting.

Reactions: AJ_ and Kgal