20 Types of Illetracy | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

20 Types of Illetracy

Really Chazz? Do we have to argue semantics? Come on.

Every dictionary will list :"ignorant of the fundamentals of a branch of knowledge" under Illiteracy or something similar. Also, looking back at the etymology of the word, in its original Latin meaning I believe it's "unlearned" or "uncultured" and not necessarily about the skill of reading or writing. I could be very much wrong though, I need either @Bird or @magister343 to check me.

The Merriam-Webster says this:

Illiterate:
1. having little or no education; especially: unable to read or write <an illiterate population>
2. showing or marked by a lack of familiarity with language and literature <an illiterate magazine>
3. showing or marked by a lack of acquaintance with the fundamentals of a particular field of knowledge

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illiterate

Illiteracy:

1. the quality of state of being illiterate; especially: inability to read or write
2. a mistake or crudity (as in speaking) typical of one who is illiterate

Ignorance also a synonym for illiteracy...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illiteracy

Last edited:
Every dictionary will list :"ignorant of the fundamentals of a branch of knowledge" under Illiteracy or something similar. Also, looking back at the etymology of the word, in its original Latin meaning I believe it's "unlearned" or "uncultured" and not necessarily about the skill of reading or writing. I could be very much wrong though, I need either @Bird or @magister343 to check me.

That sounds about right. Also, according to the online etymology dictionary (which I love):

illiterate (adj.)
early 15c., "uneducated, unable to read (originally of Latin)," from L. illiteratus "unlearned, unlettered, ignorant; without culture, inelegant," from assimilated form of in-

Illiteracy can be used synonymously with ignorance and can be somewhat synonymous with semiliteracy indicating a spectrum of ability to read or write. Different types of illiteracy is also a somewhat loose use of the word being that it strictly refers to reading and writing, i.e. litera/littera 'letter of the alphabet', but it's used to refer to a lack of knowledge regarding the topic. That the person has not read or studied that which he is illiterate towards.

Literally illiterate means "unlettered." Strictly speaking it means unlearned or uncultured only in the sense of lacking book-learning. It has been used loosely for a long time though.

racism.jpg

Pwetty.

The paragraph on scientific illiteracy seemed slightly scientifically illiterate.

Reactions: Odyne
I think it's a dumb article based on lacklustre information, poor execution, and a poor choice of diction. The only good thing about it is that they cut out Plato and used Aristotle under Scientific Illiteracy. The writer could've done a lot better.

Reactions: hush