Obi Wan Kenobi - INFJ or ISFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Obi Wan Kenobi - INFJ or ISFJ

I agree. He's highly adaptable to situations and very intuitively based.

I think Kenobi definitely is the SJ type. Before being taken as an apprentice by Qui Gon, he was taught by the other masters, especially Yoda, as a youngling. He pretty much always fell into line with the Jedi Council and was much more orthodox than Qui Gon. In ep II, he even says, "We will do exactly what the Council has instructed." Also, the only reason he trained Anakin is because he made a promise to Qui Gon--this pushes more in favor of some one with respect for authority, and who is dependable to the utmost degree. He was known for his cautiousness as well as measuring all his plans. I say he's ISTJ at its best-you know not all ISTJ are like Dwight from the office.

I think it depends on whether we're talking about the prequels or the original movies.

In the original movies he's a 100% without-a-doubt INFJ. (At least IMO).

austinlaugh.gif

This fictional character is written as a quintessential sterotype INFJ.

Ni
- The Force is a very Ni concept. It strives for finding the answer without effort or any conscious thought. He never once asked a 'what if' question in 6 movies, evidence against Ne, and was primarily motivated by his ability to focus on the answers he 'just knew'.
Fe - Obiwan's feelings were strongly tied to how he felt things should be. The only things that invoked extreme emotions in Obiwan were threats to his world view. Threats against him personally did little to upset him, evidence against Fi. Obiwan's beliefs were secondary to his intuition, and he only acted on them when his Ni agreed.
Ti - Evidence that Obiwan was more concerned with how things work can be seen when he interacts with technology, but this is an auxiliary function for him.
Se - Obiwan applies far more preference to what his Ni is telling him than from what he sees in the world around him, making Se is inferior function, but he is one to live in the moment and less likely to concern himself with perceptual details, evidence that he's not Si.

George Lucas was so in tune with the INFJ concept for this character that he cast an actor who is an INFJ in real life to play him in the prequels.

This fictional character is written as a quintessential sterotype INFJ.

Ni
- The Force is a very Ni concept. It strives for finding the answer without effort or any conscious thought. He never once asked a 'what if' question in 6 movies, evidence against Ne, and was primarily motivated by his ability to focus on the answers he 'just knew'.
In a film such as Star Wars where it's mostly a linear narrative, who has time to insert tiny what if questions into the film for the sake of characterization? That's a poor defining point for INFPs, as INFPs do ask what if a lot, but they aren't Ne dominents, and there are INFPs that don't bother asking and just act on feelings. As for the concept of the force, the force is many things, but I would never regulate it to a box such as Ni.
Fe - Obiwan's feelings were strongly tied to how he felt things should be. The only things that invoked extreme emotions in Obiwan were threats to his world view. Threats against him personally did little to upset him, evidence against Fi. Obiwan's beliefs were secondary to his intuition, and he only acted on them when his Ni agreed.
Hmm, you're right a member of a higher peace keeping order who can through the use of will power get out of almost any situation and whose believed to be invincible will still be upset by threats of violence that he's been trained to deal with since being a child, well not really, only if they are INFP, see INFPs get wound up at everything, even things they've been prepared for.

:rolleyes:

Courage and emotionally stability are hardly exclusive to any type, and this isn't just an everyday person, you must remember that.

Fe - Obiwan's feelings were strongly tied to how he felt things should be. The only things that invoked extreme emotions in Obiwan were threats to his world view.

It can be also be said that he held those as close values, an internal value system on the way things should be, if only there was a function that cove- OH WAIT!
Introverted Feeling (Fi) is the attitude of judging things good or bad based on how they harmonize or clash with a living being's inner essence.
Hmm, that sounds a heck of alot like what you just said didn't it?
Ti - Evidence that Obiwan was more concerned with how things work can be seen when he interacts with technology, but this is an auxiliary function for him.
Obi Wan wasn't any better with machines then anyone else in the series, in fact that claim to fame belonged to Anakin more then anyone else, and later Han Solo, but Obi Wan never specialized in technology.

Se - Obiwan applies far more preference to what his Ni is telling him than from what he sees in the world around him, making Se is inferior function, but he is one to live in the moment and less likely to concern himself with perceptual details, evidence that he's not Si.

George Lucas was so in tune with the INFJ concept for this character that he cast an actor who is an INFJ in real life to play him in the prequels.

1226960877897.jpg

We need examples! EXAMPLES I SAY! BACK IT UP!

Last edited:
Most certainly INFP. More serious than most of us, but cute nonetheless. We ALL rely on the Force, you know. :wink:

see INFPs get wound up at everything, even things they've been prepared for.

:rolleyes:

Lies, sir! Slander and lies! :m185:
Why, the very idea! rant rant rant, rage rage rage...

Silently Honest said:
We need examples! EXAMPLES I SAY! BACK IT UP!

Hmm, well, I see these characters as dead cert INFPs:
Ned the Pie-maker from Pushing Daisies
Dr. Keller from Stargate Atlantis
and John Monad from John from Cincinnati
(If you're not familiar with these guys, just say and I'll have a hunt around on youtube for some clips).

Anyway, all of these three strike me as being significantly different to both Ewan McGregor's and particularly Alec Guinness' portrayal of Obi-Wan.

On top of that, I'd also say that I consider both Yoda and Morpheus from the Matrix to be INFJs, and Alec Guinness' version of Obi-Wan shares a lot in common with both of them.

Okay, opinion noted.

INFJ for sure. Whenever I picture myself as a Jedi (which admittedly is quite often) I picture myself as Obi-Wan.

Reactions: dneecey
INFJ for sure. George Lucas was strongly influenced by the mythologist Joseph Campbell and Obi Wan was certainly modeled after the "old wise man" mythological archetype which is associated with INFJ.

ISFJ- Why did he look to his past promise instead of foreseeing what Anakin was going to become?

ISFJ- Why did he look to his past promise instead of foreseeing what Anakin was going to become?

INFJs aren't psychic, they don't predict what will happen, Ni just gives them insights into what the future might be.

I'd argue that that is what's going on with Obi-wan. He had an Ni insight into Anakin's potential, and he became so attached to that idea (Fe) that he couldn't shake it to see what was really going on in front of him.

INFJs aren't psychic, they don't predict what will happen, Ni just gives them insights into what the future might be.

I'd argue that that is what's going on with Obi-wan. He had an Ni insight into Anakin's potential, and he became so attached to that idea (Fe) that he couldn't shake it to see what was really going on in front of him.

It seemed kind of obvious to the other Jedis though. You're probably right I just felt like being contrary.

It seemed kind of obvious to the other Jedis though. You're probably right I just felt like being contrary.

Ha-ha, fair enough.

On the subject of the other Jedi's though (now that you brought it up), I think it's just a case of them not being as emotionally invested in Anakin as Obi-wan was, so they were able to see things more clearly.

No no, deffo a ESTP

Being a Jedi is not good for INFJs, they repress far too many feelings. I know if I was in training to become a Jedi and a Sith asked me to come on board with them I probably would. I dont need a lifetime of suppressing emotions so I can be a Jedi.

Keeping firmly in mind that he's a fictional character and that he is secondary for the screen time, let's have some analyzing fun :D

First of all we can safely settle down on introversion - he was certainly not swinging around with his tongue like Jar Jar. In fact he was quiet even for jedi standards.

Next strong moral values which are based on external order and some impressive skills in psychology and diplomacy - therefore Fe.

As for the perception skills he liked watching from a distance and with minimal interference - that means Ni/Si. I might be biased on this but it seemed to me that he relied more on intuition rather than facts at the critical moments. Yoda was far superior in that skill so everyone around him looked less N. It can also seem diminished by the fact that Obi did not notice the corruption of Anakin - but hey, everybody makes mistakes :)

The J preference comes as a derivative bonus from Ni Fe.

Being a Jedi is not good for INFJs, they repress far too many feelings.

I don't think Jedis suppressed their feelings - they learned to master them instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: VH
It can also seem diminished by the fact that Obi did not notice the corruption of Anakin - but hey, everybody makes mistakes :)

Well, he was emotionally subjective with Anakin. We all make mistakes sometimes if we can't be objective.
Good analyse, Tamagochi:) I agree with you.

And yes, I analyse him according to New hope. In that movie he is definetly INFJ.

I dont need a lifetime of suppressing emotions so I can be a Jedi.

Patience, young Jedi. Could emotions supressed be? Thee to rull them have! What's you see can't, rull cannot be...

Ooh, Yoda is such baby besides me:)