How to develope Ne? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How to develope Ne?

Oh, I wouldn't trade it at all! I am who I am. :D I'm also a writer and I love to write, but Ne is much more conducive for world building and character rabbit trails. Maybe it's my opinion here, but I see Ne-doms having far more creativity and they're willing to let "whatever" happen. I control the direction of my story too much and I'm better with outlines. If I do write off the top of my head the story needs to be short. I'll write a good story and a deep story, but I rarely "surprise" my audience with something out of left field. I struggle with doing what's enrichingfor my characters, because I prefer to do what's right.

I don't know if that really makes much sense.

Anyway. I love Ne for its creative randomness. It's not that I can't be creative, because I love my creativity. But I'm far more deliberate and that can limit my creativity. My solutions come when I write myself into a corner; then Ni takes control and opens up new worlds.

Opposite for me, I'm really boderline on N/S and have strong Ne too.
I'll write stories with a lot of things happend but the deepest it gets is when the characters fall in a 50 meter hole. =/

This is why Ni seems cooler (okay, no. As cool) than Ne :p

And why would you get Se over Ne?

Oh, I wouldn't trade it at all! I am who I am. :D I'm also a writer and I love to write, but Ne is much more conducive for world building and character rabbit trails. Maybe it's my opinion here, but I see Ne-doms having far more creativity and they're willing to let "whatever" happen. I control the direction of my story too much and I'm better with outlines. If I do write off the top of my head the story needs to be short. I'll write a good story and a deep story, but I rarely "surprise" my audience with something out of left field. I struggle with doing what's enrichingfor my characters, because I prefer to do what's right.

I don't know if that really makes much sense.

Anyway. I love Ne for its creative randomness. It's not that I can't be creative, because I love my creativity. But I'm far more deliberate and that can limit my creativity. My solutions come when I write myself into a corner; then Ni takes control and opens up new worlds.

How well do you know your characters? I find the better I know them the easier it is and they have their own minds and it all plays out in my head, I can sort of watch them do what ever they choose to do.

How well do you know your characters? I find the better I know them the easier it is and they have their own minds and it all plays out in my head, I can sort of watch them do what ever they choose to do.

I think the problem for me is, I know them too well - so it gets boring to write them. I've over-planned them! :p So I try guiding them into scenarios they shouldn't be in, or I force them into circumstances that feel forced. That's when the frustration comes. Short stories are no problem for me, but I tend to over-plan novels and I don't let the story unfold naturally. I usually get stuck half-way through my novels. :/

Yes, Ne definitely needs to be given free reign to combine unlikely ideas.

I (with Ti-Ne...) have to resist the fact that it doesn't make sense, or I quickly curtail Ne to consider more reasonable possibilities. Other problems might arise for people with more functions above Ne, and if your goal is to develop Ne for its own sake, then this won't do at all. More private exercise would be to write a story using two randomly chosen words: a noun and a particular type of verb (like cooking verb) or a 'big word' (like love, war, peace) and an object or a verb. Really zany writing topics will get Ne going.
Ne makes total sense.. I think Ne is more like coming to the conclusion before understanding how you got there--by drawing *seemingly* random correlations. Then when you go back and think about it, the connections Ne draws are not random at all. All things are interrelated to varying degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
Certainly, it can do that. But when you write a story about flying pasta invading Jupiter or whatever I'm going to protest before I turn over to Ne to help you continue it.

Actually, I'm getting your point now. We can make a good metaphorical story with flying spaghetti in fiction writing. It can just be nonsense on the surface.

Reactions: acd
I just wanted to post something that was said by Lenore Thomson in reply to a question.

Question: In your last column, you maintained that differentiation doesn't mean gaining control over the skills a function offers. Can you say more about that? For example, doesn't it make sense for a Feeling type to take a course in math or something to learn more Thinking skills? -- Jim M., Altoona, Pa.​
Lenore Answers: As I said last time, acquiring new skills has no downside. It's healthy, and it makes us more adaptive. My quarrel is with the idea (1) that the functions are abilities or intelligences that can be acquired by deliberately engaging in particular behaviors, and (2) that doing this sort of thing is what Jung meant by individuation. Jung described the functions not as skills, but as psychic modalities, or orientations.​

An orientation doesn't have content. It has direction. When we're oriented, we're locating ourselves in a specific environment with respect to time, place, and people. Once oriented, we interpret our events and experiences so that they're unified with what we already know and believe to be true and important.​