Mogura

Community Member
Dec 18, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Dunno
What are some decent INFJ careers?

I don't mean careers suggested for INFJs on MBTI-related websites (substance abuse counselor, kindergarten teacher, minister, etc.)--I mean careers that INFJs are known to excel at and enjoy.

So, yeah, if you have a career that you love and enjoy, then please chime in, and if you could, tell us how your career suits or complements your INFJ-ness. If you're still searching for that magical, fulfilling career, then feel free to share your insights, ask questions, or posit theories.

The reason I ask, is that I find most of the suggested careers to be highly unappealing. This might have more to do with my being and INFJ male and the fact that most of the suggested careers are "Fe-heavy" (I am "Ni-heavy"--I like problem solving as opposed to nurturing). To me, a lot of these careers seem too "touchy-feely".

I think a lot of INFJs struggle with the whole career thing, so I feel... no I think... no, wait... I feel (aw, fuck it) that this topic is worthy of discussion.

Thanks...

Hmm, you don't like pastor, teacher, or counselor...Well, I once had a job at the largest group home in America (boys facility) and found it to be the most challenging and rewarding job I've ever worked. The job title was "child care worker" though most of the boys were hardly children anymore. Hmm, but that is leaning toward nurturing and you don't gravitate toward that one. Well, I've worked as a third shift security officer for over five years now and the alone time and problem solving opportunities within that field have been right up my ally. The pay and duties change with every contract and you can transfer from one to another (after six months) to find one that better suits you if you so desire. On a side note, even though it's a "rent-a-cop" job, chicks still seem to dig a guy with a badge lol. So there's another perk. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you chose to pursue.

Animal care. Someone who has the capacity to feel but not always act on it is in short supply in that field. Jobs like Wildlife Rehabbers, Biologists, Dog Trainers, Animal Control, Shelter Administrators, etc. Not every job in that field requires you to be all "lovey dovey" all the time, but you do get your fixes in now and then when you need to :)

[MENTION=3492]Mogura[/MENTION] I get the same feeling when I see these kind of "perfect" job-options, but then I've never worked in a similar job. I'm working in customer service but feel that I'm meant to do more in life. I need to do something more challenging. I think it depends a lot on your background and what you initially trained to be. Since I'm not very comfortable with the sales activities I sometimes have to do, I'm considering to change to become a buyer at the moment (even though you need to be more and more commercial there as well now, but in a different way)

You may require a heavier load of Feeling than you are making out. However, Feeling can be used in anything, so that shouldn't matter too much, so long as you don't encounter any emotional difficulties.

As for good places for Ni to focus: basically anywhere. In any broad area, there will be use for Ni. Either this use is already known to the point of having a career in, or there is potential there to be unlocked. However, the path to getting to the point where you can get stuck into an area to the point of it being the focus of your Ni will likely be easier in some areas than others - and, after all, you're not worried about the career per se, but as to what path you should step out on to get to that proposed career.

Given the universal usefulness for Ni, given the right circumstances to promote its use, it seems that you should just choose the area(s) which you are most interested in, dive in, then see if your Ni finds anything interesting in its explorations.

-Psychology seems to be the way to go according what what many people are saying, but then others would suggest a mathematical science. (Statistics is perhaps an area of overlap here? - however I'm not sure that there is much for Ni to do in stats, so perhaps not).
-Teaching, in just about anything, works. I can certainly see much use for Ni in education in general, and Fe certainly is satisfied. It's also a profession which we have a lot of first hand experience with so can actually infer what is involved in it, so you can decide for yourself if it is the area for you.

I feel fortunate to work in a job that helps me express myself to the fullest. I'm a therapist, and work specifically with autistic children. They are so beautiful, and you learn something new every day.

-Anna