To-do lists and alarms

PastelpinkPuppy

Regular Poster
Jul 10, 2017
Singapore
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Instead of a to-do list to write, I set alarms in advance instead. Do u guys set alarms in advance to do things instead of getting a notebook and writing them down?
I usually only write to-do lists when i feel terribly disorganized with too many things to do and need all the things to be done ✅ and checked off, otherwise alarm setting is a way to free off my mind from too many things to remember. But it helps me daily if i forget important things.
So im wondering how do u guys get your to-do lists done and what other methods have u been using that are not the norm?

I do both. Alarms for the A-priority items and in decending order. I migrate some of my less important tasks as the day brings up immediate tasks to adress. I've found a secretary's Tickler File works best for me.

I use an online calendar and alarms, and also a Tickler File like @Sandie33
My life was a disorganized pile of poop before getting a box with files.
I picked up this method at one of my first jobs and resisted it at first in my personal life (because fuck the man), but it's pretty helpful.

I've never been about To-Do lists, but I built a custom To-Do app once which was pretty nifty.
There are some perfected ones out there, it's sorta the intro learning app for programmers.
The problem is that people tend to like the physical nature of crossing off their lists and apps often don't provide satisfying haptic feedback for this.
I'm not really a list person, but if it's a "fun" list I can really get into it.

Lists written on the back of torn up envelopes...and a diary.

I use an online calendar and alarms,

That's what I do for everything, and try to keep it as simple as possible. I'm not strongly J type though (I think most infj aren't) and have a tendency to let things slide a little. I get things done on time, but leave it too close to the deadline at times.

Every time that happens I vow to change, but... Oh well.

I use the memo pad on my phone for my lists as I can get into the details of the how-to's easily. Otherwise appointments, deadlines, meetings and such are in my calendar app. I also tend to have these things in the forefront of my mind and usually end up turning the alerts off because nothing bugs me more than alarms. I'll find myself grumbling at my phone, "Yeah, yeah, I know, and it's already done, ok!?"

I have to keep an Outlook calendar for work. I only find myself checking it a few times a week. I've always been pretty good at sorting and prioritizing appointments in my head. Anything really important isn't something I'm going to need a reminder for. Similarly, I find that lists help me stay on point at work especially when I have several projects going at once. I'll keep a running list and update it every morning.

Outside work I rarely set reminders or make lists of any kind. Occasionally an alarm to remind me when some concert tickets will go on sale. :tonguewink:

All of the above and more....and I'll throw in my two timers
need to exit

Apologies, I had to exit suddenly yesterday so didn't get a chance to finish...

I often leave physical reminders everywhere around the house (currently I'm staring at a cordless phone and a step stool that I have placed in the middle of the room/floor to remind me that I need to do stuff!). Staircase/landing is my favourite place for leaving reasonable size objects! I rely on a variety of prompts/reminders ALL THE TIME and for me it does serve a purpose. In most cases it's about dealing with and eliminating the mundane but essential things that often need to be done. Not having to store this information in my head leaves me plenty of time to think and focus on important things.....that is until I find myself tripping over something or other.....oops!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also tend to have these things in the forefront of my mind and usually end up turning the alerts off because nothing bugs me more than alarms. I'll find myself grumbling at my phone, "Yeah, yeah, I know, and it's already done, ok!?"

lolol I do this too, not a fan of my alarms going off so I try to avoid them/turn off when complete

Instead of a to-do list to write, I set alarms in advance instead. Do u guys set alarms in advance to do things instead of getting a notebook and writing them down?
I usually only write to-do lists when i feel terribly disorganized with too many things to do and need all the things to be done ✅ and checked off, otherwise alarm setting is a way to free off my mind from too many things to remember. But it helps me daily if i forget important things.
So im wondering how do u guys get your to-do lists done and what other methods have u been using that are not the norm?

I use a Gantt chart-style calendar for work and another for life, each sorted by week. They're kind of structured in the same way. The life calendar is divided into 'practical matters' (mostly admin and logistical stuff) and 'strategic matters', which is more about long-term planning for career and writing purposes. I'm always projecting into the future, this is what drives me.

I find the calendar doubly useful, it helps me keep order in my life - though I think I'm naturally rather structured - and perhaps more crucially, it gives me peace of mind, through a sense of control perhaps.

I use an online calendar and alarms, and also a Tickler File like @Sandie33
My life was a disorganized pile of poop before getting a box with files.
I picked up this method at one of my first jobs and resisted it at first in my personal life (because fuck the man), but it's pretty helpful.

I've never been about To-Do lists, but I built a custom To-Do app once which was pretty nifty.
There are some perfected ones out there, it's sorta the intro learning app for programmers.
The problem is that people tend to like the physical nature of crossing off their lists and apps often don't provide satisfying haptic feedback for this.
I'm not really a list person, but if it's a "fun" list I can really get into it.
Right u are on "The problem is that people tend to like the physical nature of crossing off their lists and apps often don't provide satisfying haptic feedback for this."

Reactions: Wyote and Sandie33