the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I was watching tv and saw a commercial for an at home aids test. I noticed I haven't really heard much about aids lately and was reminded of South Park aids episode. That led to thinking about how cancer is the latest disease on the medias radar.

What is the next epidemic that is going to rear it's ugly head?

HIV isn't even close to being the same disease that it was in the 80s.
My sister works in a medical lab and knows of a man in his late 60s who has been living with HIV for 30 years, and he's still perfectly healthy.
The only danger from HIV is not knowing you have it, but also the stigma.

I don't know what the next plague will be-- maybe an antibiotic resistant version of a disease that's already around.

Free thought.

Less snidely, I agree with Flavus Aquila. In the U.S at least, there's a mood of hyper-diagnosis in the psychological community; diagnoses fall like rain drops on the minds of the people, accompanied by the silent thunderstrike of overmedication. Ears are pricked with selective attention instead of careful, holistic evaluation. It's sickening and infuriating.

I guess we don't hear that much about HIV anymore since people in developed countries use condoms these days. It's still very much a problem in some parts of the world though.

The next major pandemic will probably be some type of resistant influenza virus.