Replacing stereotyping with profiling | INFJ Forum

Replacing stereotyping with profiling

CogentPursuit

Community Member
Nov 9, 2013
MBTI
LOGIC
Does the fact that profiling is based on evidence and is factual when accepted with a known margin of error make it an acceptable replacement of stereotyping?

Stereotyping: American Muslims are terrorists
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...75674B94F0A3C9358A2075674B94F0A3C93&FORM=VIRE

The above is not a valid profile due to the fact that it is not supported by data.

What about saying this:

Muslims in Sweden, particlarily immigrant muslims, are likely to be a rapist.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/1...ll-be-raped-sexual-assaults-daniel-greenfield

If 1 in 4 woman in Sweden will likely be raped and the likeliest rapist is going to be muslim with a 77% likelihood, should profiling Muslims in Sweden be acceptable?
Should it be acceptable for you to be wary of Swedish muslims and to be on guard?
If it is acceptable to be on guard and be wary personally to protect yourself or the people you love is it acceptable to use such profiling in the legal system or law enforcement?

I don't see a problem with profiling or stereotyping.

is it a problem that I stereotype a nearby town as being so bad that the cops will rob me (based on a few first hand stories I've heard)? I'm not going to go to that town because I know there might be danger, just like I would prefer that people who look and act like dangerous folks don't come around.

I certainly understand that there are some people who are dangerous and look safe, well I will have to use other clues to identify them obviously.

Stereotyping and profiling are types of judgements. Judgements are necessary in order to navigate the world. The issues is are we making judgements that reflect a true interpretation of reality or are our judgements packed with misinformation.
The reason profiling becomes a problem is that when it is used as a law enforcement tool it subjects anyone that fits the profile to scrutiny. If the profile is, "stop anyone with blood stained clothing", than seems reasonable (and a nuisance to butchers) , but when it is "stop any male between the ages of 15 and 25 with underpants hanging out of the back of their trousers".....

Stereotyping and profiling are types of judgements. Judgements are necessary in order to navigate the world. The issues is are we making judgements that reflect a true interpretation of reality or are our judgements packed with misinformation.
The reason profiling becomes a problem is that when it is used as a law enforcement tool it subjects anyone that fits the profile to scrutiny. If the profile is, "stop anyone with blood stained clothing", than seems reasonable (and a nuisance to butchers) , but when it is "stop any male between the ages of 15 and 25 with underpants hanging out of the back of their trousers".....

thats just male privilege.