Moral Development

Pin

"Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart
Jun 26, 2017
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4, 3-8-7
Let's talk about Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development and try to map ourselves on that trajectory.

kolberg2-550x381.png

kohlberg2.jpg

Kohlberg-and-the-Stages-of-Moral-Development.jpg

After looking at the graphs and images section, I want you to talk to me about where you think you are on this trajectory. Maybe you alternate between levels depending on the situation you're in right?

Explain yourself!

I can't quite place myself. Each stage reflects how I go about things in some way or another.
I experience the infancy stage when I tiptoe around for midnight snacks and try not to get caught.

Maybe you alternate between levels depending on the situation you're in right?
Perhaps.

My question is, using myself as an example, I'm the type to strive for consistency at Stage/Level 3 on all three charts.

Wouldn't it make sense that I would have understood, attained and incorporated the other stages preceeding Stage 3?

For clarity, after attaining Levels 5 & 6 in the Post-Conventional stage it would be the assumption that the individual had a sound understanding of their own inner moral compass and lived life from that vantage point rather than conformity to general societal dogmas.

Honestly, most of these just kinda mesh together for me, except the first and the transcendental phase which is so vague that it can mean anything.

I see any morality as a tool for self-empowerment. Some do this by the way of destruction (strictly stage 2), the wiser ones by more constructive means (up to stage 5 but still retaining the lower stages in itself, and especially the 2nd).
I would argue that nobody can be truly altruistic, inasmuch as there's always a reward that outweighs the sacrifice, and I'm not necessarily speaking of material rewards. I help people because taking on someone else's job builds my ability, my confidence, and satisfies me emotionally thereby. And generally as a result, those people will also be more receptive to what I have to say and maybe even start depending on me, which becomes a form of social power.

Having morality in this way is really a daylight robbery. And they even thank you for it!