Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9 Mediator
Hey [MENTION=2259]Kmal[/MENTION]

Is this sinkhole anywhere near you?

Louisianna officials are getting heated up over a massive sinkhole that formed after natural gas bubbled up in an area of Bayou Corne for 2 months. It is located right next to an abandoned Salt Dome and well owned by Texas Brine.

http://theadvocate.com/home/3599778-125/officials-seeking-well-at-sinkhole

Rousseau said he was especially worried after a parish official had him fill out a form asking him to list his next of kin Thursday morning.

Measurements at the site on Monday showed that the sinkhole is 324 feet wide and between 50 feet and 422 feet deep in spots, according to John Boudreaux, director of the Office of Homeland Security in Assumption Parish, which is about 30 miles south of Baton Rouge. Since then it has grown about 10 to 20 feet more.

Residents began noticing bubbles in the waters of Bayou Corne in mid-May and contacted authorities about the problem. The bubbles grew in frequency until the bayou appeared to be boiling in some spots. Finally, the sinkhole appeared on August 3.

Now, Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack is worried that the sinkhole could breach a nearby well that contains 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane. Should the well be breached, the highly volatile liquid would turn into a highly flammable vapor.

You know we have salt domes being used as strategic reserves for the US containing crude oil and LNG.

I probably live on top of one - perhaps 1000ft below - as they are riddled all along the gulf coast. There is a little town about 100 miles from me called High Island because it's a prominent point along an otherwise totally flat coastal area of TX between Port Arthur and Houston. The little town sits right on top of a salt dome that squeezed up to the surface. All around it in a huge circle are oil wells that were pulling up the oil that is often associated with the salt domes.

They are mined for the pure salt - ie BRINE - and then used as huge storage caverns. When I worked for an oil well services company we often purchased brine water from TX Brine in the various fracking and well reworking services we provided.

If Butane is being stored in a nearby well.... I can only imagine what might happen if it fails. Butane vapor by itself won't cause an explosion - especially since it will be so dense there won't be the right Oxygen/Butane ratio for it to burn. But what about on the fringes of the vapor cloud as it mixes with the air further away?

Last edited:
That's what happens when people f**k with nature and try to get away with it.