is depression just a mechanism in humans when they lose their worth | INFJ Forum

is depression just a mechanism in humans when they lose their worth

ihavenofriends

Regular Poster
Nov 5, 2016
MBTI
intp
Enneagram
---
is depression just something that when a person loses their worth to society he has done everything he could do to contribute to it,and thus he finds suicide as an alternative to being worthless to society,in essence depression just could be something to get rid of the non contributing humans in our society when they have simply achieved all they could,i mean they'd not be as hungry or using as much resources as they were or they would quite simply kill themselves and not be such a burden on resources which would mean more resources go into the more productive people

thoughts?

there are many factors that would lead someone to depression. i don't think it's "just something that when a person loses their worth to society".

i got depressed when my ex and dad died, but that doesn't mean i felt worthless more so towards the society because i don't care about it. I was depressed because i felt lost and incomplete but i still function.

if you rely on societies' standards of norm, you are not being true to yourself and that could lead to unhappiness/dissatisfaction and un-awareness of it could lead to depression.

there are many factors that would lead someone to depression. i don't think it's "just something that when a person loses their worth to society".

i got depressed when my ex and dad died, but that doesn't mean i felt worthless more so towards the society because i don't care about it. I was depressed because i felt lost and incomplete but i still function.

if you rely on societies' standards of norm, you are not being true to yourself and that could lead to unhappiness/dissatisfaction and un-awareness of it could lead to depression.

"if you rely on societies' standards of norm, you are not being true to yourself and that could lead to unhappiness/dissatisfaction and un-awareness of it could lead to depression" thats what most people do and it would be applicable to most of them,i could also say that your dad and ex boyfriend/girlfriend had died and you felt like you lost your worth and thus the only people who relied on you died and you had no one to help anymore just saying

No human beings never out -live their 'usefulness'.

guess you could say there was an 'adaptive' mechanism in suicide (in sense of an 'anti'-mechanism so to speak)
e.g. those who can't cut it give up...but I completely disagree with the whole science of genetic superiority thing anyway.

Were not meant to be here to be miserable, and every one has value.
The euthanasia argument is another issue altogether though I believe.

"if you rely on societies' standards of norm, you are not being true to yourself and that could lead to unhappiness/dissatisfaction and un-awareness of it could lead to depression" thats what most people do and it would be applicable to most of them,i could also say that your dad and ex boyfriend/girlfriend had died and you felt like you lost your worth and thus the only people who relied on you died and you had no one to help anymore just saying

i didn't lose my worth. like i said, i felt sad and incomplete. not WORTHLESS. and i had my whole family to help me go through with it so i had people, not no one. My dad and ex doesn't rely on me nor i, to them, they are significant people in my life who i value so much so i think it would be normal for me to be sad/depressed about it.

is depression just something that when a person loses their worth to society he has done everything he could do to contribute to it,and thus he finds suicide as an alternative to being worthless to society,in essence depression just could be something to get rid of the non contributing humans in our society when they have simply achieved all they could,i mean they'd not be as hungry or using as much resources as they were or they would quite simply kill themselves and not be such a burden on resources which would mean more resources go into the more productive people

thoughts?

One human being is not objectively more or less 'worthy' than another IMO. Resources are there to be shared amongst those that can as you say 'contribute to society' and those that cannot. That an objective worthiness level is even considered is to me ridiculous. It's true that peoples' perception of self worth can be lower or higher than others. But I see as the ultimate truth that humans are as equally worthy as each other.

No, I do not think so. There are many people who contribute much to society yet become depressed and commit suicide, and there are many other people who sit around contributing nothing to society that are perfectly happy.

So basically, feelings of worthlessness do not correspond to the actual worth of the depressed person that commits suicide. Depression is considered a mental disorder precisely because the way people think about themselves when they experience it is not always rational, and feeling worthless is a great example of that.

thoughts?
"If you put your value and self worth on society and it's dictate of normal...you've lost the meaning of your uniqueness"

If I were to read between the lines of text here...this sounds materialistic and selfish. As I learn more and more what "E", "T", and "S" mean in a persons function stack I am more aware and less reactive to things I do not understand.

I have been afflicted by depression--in myself and others. Yet I did not lose my Self to It long.

It is difficult for me to understand those who look outside themselves for qualitatives to anchor their self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem, etc. These things are not "out there".

The teachers put the word SELF as a prefix for a purpose. It is a reminder to look within for the source to replenish your-Self.
If you do not seek out the things within you to replentish your core how can your true self shine?

A body shining in false light eventually burns out and can and will be consumed by the darkness of depression. We do not need others to confirm our Self.