Economics | INFJ Forum

Economics

maturin

One
Jun 24, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Any infjs considering studying economics at degree level?:) With the possible intention of becoming an economist?

I developed my interest in economics at the tail end of my undergraduate degrees, it's heaps of fun! What makes you want to study economics?

I wanted to major in it when I started, but I gave up midway into my first course in it at the beginning of freshman year. They don't call it the dismal science for no reason. Most of what I imagined economics to cover was actually more the domain of sociology. I ended up taking almost enough courses for a minor in econ.

My graduate degree is heavily based in economics, especially microeconomics, which is my favorite. The other areas of econ make less sense.

One can major in economics in undergraduate and then maybe go to business school. That is fine (assuming you can get into a good business school). But to be an economist, you'll need a ph.d.. From what I've heard, a ph.d. in economists is basically a math degree. It might be good if you really like the research and really want to be a professor and are willing to make the sacrifices, but if you just want money or don't like math that much, you can probably do much better just going into business. One of the guys in my grad program (for public admin) had a masters in economics. I guess the ph.d. was too much for him.

No, it's among the many "sciences" that are, frankly, teaching people bs. Call it 666 before 777, imperfection, or whatever you will... Either aliens, and/or vr, but what we "know" is certainly an exaggeration. That I can sanely guess at (with my life, of course.)