Critiquing and Policing | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Critiquing and Policing

Offensive language is almost unavoidable when discussing issues we feel strongly about. I do my best to accept this and move on. Some will say that my ignorance is "abhorrently disgusting" and that's that.

Last edited:
Are you trying to justify the notion that people should not be permitted to express their opinions in their own words, using the full breadth of the English language?

Are you advocating that having a list of forbidden words/phrases would be reasonable?

Are you advocating, in the absence of the existence of a lexicon of forbidden expressions, that restricting a forum member's language, after the fact, is not in itself censorious?

I'm saying that inflammatory remarks or hate speech is likely to be censored by administrators/moderators. I'm not accusing anyone of using such words, just that there is, in reality, a limit to free speech on this forum, most forums, places of employment, when you're in other people's home, etc. The main purpose of free speech (there are others) is to protect against persecution for dissent against government .

I don't think anyone is being censored here and it is a complete farce to think that someone being called out for their choice of words on an internet forum is equivalent to living in an Orwellian dictatorship.

I'm saying that inflammatory remarks or hate speech is likely to be censored by administrators/moderators. I'm not accusing anyone of using such words, just that there is, in reality, a limit to free speech on this forum, most forums, places of employment, when you're in other people's home, etc. The main purpose of free speech (there are others) is to protect against persecution for dissent against government .

I don't think anyone is being censored here and it is a complete farce to think that someone being called out for their choice of words on an internet forum is equivalent to living in an Orwellian dictatorship.

I never said it was the equivalent. Please read my post again. I said that consensus-based collectivist attitudes can lead to a collectivist-led government which is most commonly installed as fascism. I used Orwell as an example to illustrate the dangers of thought-crime and to be used as an example of what can happen when censorship is taken to the extreme forms of authoritarianism.

This all makes me sentimental about the arguments and debates I've had on these forums. I hope that wherever you are [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5090]Apone[/MENTION], all is well in your world. Love you and miss you.

Debating can be too much fun, but I think that a lot of us here, including me, regardless of how detached we believe ourselves to be, are actually very passionate. It's hard not to be passionate when I feel deeply moved by something, when I'm feeling a whirlwind of emotion and a burning sense of drive and purpose, when I'm overwhelmed by the need to act and do what i 'believe' needs to be done. Not everyone understands this or respects this. Some times people are openly contemptuous. Nor do they have to be accepting in any way. It's up to me to deal with my emotional state and passion, not them. But it is something I recognize and know in myself, and it can make debating painful at times when I deeply feel for the subject matter, or when I feel that people are getting hurt and I could do something to stop the pain. I feel overwhelmed by the emotions of other people at times, completely paralyzed and catatonic to the point I forget who I am and I can't feel my self, and I just want to be alone, burying myself in the earth to drown out the painful waves of emotion.
For a long time I thought the world was completely insane and mankind were zombies. Something that really helped me during that time was connecting to like minded people, allowing myself to be encouraged, inspired and motivated by them to keep moving forward with my purpose whether anyone else cared or not. When things feel difficult or even insurmountable, there is nothing better than knowing that not only do other people care, but there are other people working towards the same goals. I am personally blown away by the extent of social and cultural progress we have had in the world this decade. The world becomes more and more my home, somewhere I want to live, something I have helped create.

I hate when arguments get personal. I can debate for hours with just about anyone and there are many people that would consider me argumentative or a devil's advocate. But on a different level, I can't handle personal arguments. I have never actually argued with any of my friends or colleagues or my sister. The only people I have ever argued with are my mum, and 2 of my ex boyfriends. I can't stand arguing. I feel that it's inappropriate and vulgar to raise my voice at someone I love. i don't like personal insults, attacks or judgements. They can paralyse and confuse me. I simply don't understand it, and when my loved ones talk to me this way I shut off from them and stop listening. when I feel angry or sad, I like to be alone. I try to control my anger but If I don't get the space I need, the anger feels like it implodes. There is nothing in this world I fear more than my own anger. I avoid talking to people when I feel this way. It always passes. But in the grip of it, I can be completely and utterly irrational...I don't say this lightly...in that consuming rage I feel I could destroy the whole world, I lose all sense of proportion. Of course I have never felt that way engaging on these forums lol, but in the distant past I did feel that intensity of emotion about certain topics that I have discussed

Over time I have learned to direct my passion into my work. I have stopped wanting or needing anyone else to care about my goals. I have learned to feel my anger without fear and let it turns into healthy and productive aggression. And most importantly when I feel that need to be alone and recharge I act on it without guilt. Looking after myself has become the upmost priority, regardless of how pressing the external world and it's demands seem

I don't think that my anger or the depth that I feel emotion, passion, and purpose is necessarily positive or negative or even because of my infj preferences. I think infj preferences, along with enneagram one, along with my natal chart map the picture more or less, but ultimately it's an idiosyncratic experience to the world that I know many people feel regardless of their mbti type. I know because I've met them through work, politics, volunteering, social gatherings etc.
When I first found the forums, I felt a sense of relief and peace. It was nice to connect with people who fundamentally understood some of my experience of the world, who communicated in a way I could relate to etc. Ofcourse, over time I have come to know there is as much similarity and variance within types as between types. My feelings about this forum has changed many times. At present, the only reason I visit this place is to see how my friends on here are doing. I love the people here. Overall I think it is a nice corner of the internet, even a safe haven. We certainly are, in my opinion, an erratic, paradoxical, and fascinating mix of personalities. There is inevitable clashes. But I find that in general people are incredibly supportive, intelligent, creative, funny, playful, kind, honest, wise, and generally gentle and interested in sharing and self development.

These sorts of situations arise inevitably, and they also blow over. I have hurt and angered people on here before, it's made me feel pretty bad. In a 'real' sense, I think it has to do with expressing and healing psychic and sometimes unconscious energy, because as many of you know, I believe in that sort of shit lol.

This forum I think is still a safe and dynamic place to communicate with people. But it does have its moods and cycles as well. Certain topics are particularly sensitive and divisive and other topics are particularly good at harmonising and create empathy and understanding. Some topics bring out the best and others the worst in some people. Obviously this has to do passion and attachment and natural inclination s and interests etc. Maybe we could do some research on it lol make a graph. I am sensitive to the feelings of the collective conscious, and it makes sense to me that all places of communication would respond to the underlying and overt psychic energy of the individuals who create and utilise it.

I also think that arguing with people here, even the nastier back and forths that escalated on private messages, at least for me, has been a good and healthy experience in hindsight. Good for learning personal boundaries and when to engage and when to let go. There were many times in the past I'd read a post by someone and my instinct would be to respond, but my common sense and my intuition would scream 'do not engage, do not fucking engage for the love of God just leave it alone'! Also I learned that I could completely disagree with someone and still find them helpful and even endearing. And vice versa. And it is interesting to say the least when passion and intuition clash with passion and intuition. Ni doms can be so annoying and self righteous. I know for a fact that I have realised this more and more about my self, and am able to laugh it off when I realise how carried away I get. Nothing like seeing your own behaviour reflected in another to dispel those blind spots

Mostly I have learned that if I am stuck in a hotel room, bored, I should not debate something for the sake of debating an idea I had, but I should watch Netflix instead. And I'm so glad that I've grown out of taking this type of stuff too seriously. There are so much more important things in life to worry about. Oh, and I'll watch myself to try to make sure that I don't misinterpret people, because it is a frustrating thing to have to deal with people misinterpreting what you are saying.

Meanwhile, to everyone:

bd3af2d44b45f91bb0c8c8e9c7bbb0e9.jpg

Reactions: Quiet
The person's right to speak MUST be heard, no matter how deeply his or her opinions offend you. I cannot stress this enough. You people think me mentioning Social Justice Warriors is such a wicked thing to say?

I don't think that. I wasn't offended by this comment(I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not), but the comment did categorize the content of the video and myself with the SJWs without first watching the video. This view was incorrect, but it wasn't a big deal to me personally. I figured maybe you would comment more later and you did, and it was a well articulated argument for capitalism. But when I read that you felt people were trying to censor you, I thought it was a bit ironic. Ironic because you accused another poster of trying to stifle your language with theirs, when your SJW statement could be seen as doing the exact same thing to me. It borders on hypocrisy really. That's why I don't understand the rant about censorship. I am only playing devils advocate here, but your "language" could be seen as equally stifling.

I really do not have anything more to say. I certainly don't want you or anyone else censored. I expect people will mostly use their good judgement and be considerate to one another, agree to disagree, etc. I think everyone, including you, probably want to just move forward anyways because how much fun can anyone really be having by beating a long-dead horse with a stick :p

Good day

Freedom of speech is the freedom to express one's ideas in one's own words, without having to suffer personal attack, or without being pressured into silence.

Freedom of speech is neither the freedom to conduct personal attacks, nor the freedom to pressure others into silence - when they are expressing their own ideas in their own words.

Last edited:
I don't think that. I wasn't offended by this comment(I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not), but the comment did categorize the content of the video and myself with the SJWs without first watching the video. This view was incorrect, but it wasn't a big deal to me personally. I figured maybe you would comment more later and you did, and it was a well articulated argument for capitalism. But when I read that you felt people were trying to censor you, I thought it was a bit ironic. Ironic because you accused another poster of trying to stifle your language with theirs, when your SJW statement could be seen as doing the exact same thing to me. It borders on hypocrisy really. That's why I don't understand the rant about censorship. I am only playing devils advocate here, but your "language" could be seen as equally stifling.

I really do not have anything more to say. I certainly don't want you or anyone else censored. I expect people will mostly use their good judgement and be considerate to one another, agree to disagree, etc. I think everyone, including you, probably want to just move forward anyways because how much fun can anyone really be having by beating a long-dead horse with a stick :p

Good day

Once, again, you are making brash implications about my comment which simply aren't true. I will try to have a good day knowing that this forum will always remain split into cliques.

You know what helps when you're trying to have a good day, [MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION]?

Corgis.

tumblr_nq1jvi09p21rmdsrwo1_400.gif

tumblr_mwof0xGPKJ1rmdsrwo1_250.gif

3POyupA.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: JJJA
We're not going to let someone try to bring us down.

That's exactly what that says, so we agree, don't let people bring you down. Did you interpret it a different way?

Members love defending the underdog. That can be a problem.