Conception of Love | INFJ Forum

Conception of Love

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
There are different types of love. Here it is my intention to discuss the "romantic" version. Centering on the analysis side of it. What do you believe it to be. Where does it come from. What does it mean to you.

When I was younger I saw it as one thing primarily and I have the benefit of hindsight that allows me to analyze it. I realize now that my conception of love was primarily driven by the belief it would allow me to find what I was missing in myself. Love was going to primarily benefit me and I never saw it as what I would "be a part of". Only what I myself would gain from having it.
I will go into depth a little later in the thread. In the mean time feel free to share what you have.

What do you believe it to be.
Being "in love" is actually just a romantic illusion but a necessary one to draw you in. After the illusion is broken, and this can take months or even years, true lasting love can come from it. The "in love" part is the roller coaster you are on when your attraction to another takes precedence because that person appears to be your ideal match in almost every way. It's both exciting and terrifying because you lose control over your emotions. Over time, you realize that your illusion has faults and is a real person. If you can live with those faults and they are not too great, your illusion morphs into actual long lasting love. If you are lucky, mentally healthy and you chose well, your mate will surprise you, grow with you and make you a better version of who you are and you will fall in love over and over with that person through the years although the first fall is the most intense.

Where does it come from.
I believe it comes from within you. You are a puzzle piece and you are alone in your life journey. Since you are not perfect as a lone puzzle piece, you look for a good fit to match you. A good fit would be a person you admire for qualities both internal and external that either complement your shortcomings or support your strengths.

What does it mean to you.
If I had never experienced it, I would be a different, less than complete version of myself and would be more cynical, if that's possible. Now? It is my life. I can't live without it and be happy. I almost lost it and it would have been catastrophic for me.

Reactions: barbad0s
i see it as a belief that it is possible to make a decision to care about someone in a deep and meaningful way that would make them a permanent part of my life in one way or another.

sometimes i think i will run away from it forever and leave it to decay like an abandoned house. or maybe i would set fire to it before i left.

I agree completely with @Superlative 's description. You are supposed to feel like you are gaining something, but you of course cannot just freeload. You exchange total independence for the chance to benefit more mutually in something you are a part of and share. You have to actually do stuff for and care for a person besides yourself and make concessions sometimes. You have to be realistic about what you have to offer and what you can do for another person in addition to being realistic about what you are going to need on a basic level for you to want to keep someone around for all of eternity.

I personally think it navie to believe that the feeling of actual love would last a lifetime much less eternity. Not that I am speaking from experience though. And not that you would not choose to stay with them that long.

I think just finding someone you would rather spend more time around than apart would be good enough for me. Maybe thats what I see as love or maybe its just a part of it.

I think love is an energy, like magnetism. the closer you get, the closer the bond, the stronger it gets, pulling two together, until they are two halves of a whole.
it comes from inside...from the soul on each side. it means that you match in some way, that you belong. it doesn't die. when it's real it's immortal, because it's entrenched within the soul. what my intuition tells me anyhow

it's not perfect. it's not ideal often. but it's real. and it does last. the trick for me has been to let go, and quit looking elsewhere when it's right in front of me and everywhere.

Last edited:
In its most basic sense, a fondness and caring for another that is enduring.

Ideally, in a romantic sense I would say that love is nothing other than a passionate commitment, demonstrating that commitment by compromising for your partner and being understanding is supposedly true love.....Love comes in different forms though, love doesn't nessarily have to be about affection and sexual desires, given the chemistry involved it would be silly to ignore the whole biology aspects of love, as a person biology is different whilst in love, too.

Love can exist between two soldiers on a battle field, or between different family members. There's also self love, and the love we hold for humanity itself and nature, maybe God.

Last edited:
What do you believe it to be.
Being "in love" is actually just a romantic illusion but a necessary one to draw you in. After the illusion is broken, and this can take months or even years, true lasting love can come from it. The "in love" part is the roller coaster you are on when your attraction to another takes precedence because that person appears to be your ideal match in almost every way. It's both exciting and terrifying because you lose control over your emotions. Over time, you realize that your illusion has faults and is a real person. If you can live with those faults and they are not too great, your illusion morphs into actual long lasting love. If you are lucky, mentally healthy and you chose well, your mate will surprise you, grow with you and make you a better version of who you are and you will fall in love over and over with that person through the years although the first fall is the most intense.

Where does it come from.
I believe it comes from within you. You are a puzzle piece and you are alone in your life journey. Since you are not perfect as a lone puzzle piece, you look for a good fit to match you. A good fit would be a person you admire for qualities both internal and external that either complement your shortcomings or support your strengths.

What does it mean to you.
If I had never experienced it, I would be a different, less than complete version of myself and would be more cynical, if that's possible. Now? It is my life. I can't live without it and be happy. I almost lost it and it would have been catastrophic for me.

Could not have said it any better.

Reactions: Scientia
i see it as a belief that it is possible to make a decision to care about someone in a deep and meaningful way that would make them a permanent part of my life in one way or another.
+1

It's not a simple concept, nor is it an illusion. There is illusion in infatuation or lust, but not love. "Love is blind" is not true. Infatuation is blind. Love is eyes wide open. Loving someone meaning knowing them and loving them as is. This doesn't mean a relationship will work, but that there is potential. If anyone believes loving someone means you can change them, then they're going to be very disappointed.

The experience of it that makes it what it is. It's not the same for everyone. I think too many people call what they feel love when it's something else. Intense passion and novelty of meeting someone amazing can feel like love. Lust and infatuation feel like love. Admiration or adoration can feel like love. However, love is not a momentary intense feeling that is always heightened. It requires you to see the person as they are, not what you think they should be or what you want them to be. For a relationship between two people who love each other to work, this requires understanding, committment, loyalty, respect, and consideration. These are the intentional aspects of love.

I believe there is a midway point between liking and love. Many are in that area, but it's easier to simply call it love because we like to have things defined. This tendency to call every intense feeling or emotion love, diminishes the significance of true and substantive love.

Love is not a relationship. These are two different things. You can love someone yet not have a great relationship with them, whether because of poor relationship skills, divergent beliefs or feelings about the relationship, or conflicts or disagreements about what each person wants or expects.

Love is a feeling separate from the action. Someone can love you but not show you they love you in a way you feel loved. This is why we have five love languages.

When you love someone, you take on their feelings as well as yours. You don't put yourself first. It's not an equal opportunity concept. When you love, you don't think in terms of 50/50. Each person (without realizing it) usually thinks or acts in terms of 75/25. Some people don't require anything of the other person except a hope that they feel the same. Loving someone usually entails wanting to do things for them, just because you want to, not because you expect anything in return. You will feel for them and give to them in ways you did not expect or imagine. It's not conscious or intentional. It just is. Love has no expectations except to feel and embrace all that comes with feelings for that person. A relationship, on the other hand, involves expectations. For example, two people may love each other but can't compromise about anything. This doesn't mean they don't love each other. Rather, it means, they can't compromise as a couple. Yet, they can still love each other to death (figuratively).

Of course, if there is no reciprocation, love will be harder, and this lack of return of love can end the feelings of love and the relationship. However, love (as feeling/desire/emotion), and love (as action/behavior) should be understood as separate concepts. They are not the same.

Love can progress quickly or slowly. There is no one way to understand it. Some people find it easy to love, and others find it difficult. To define the experience for everyone as a universal concept will limit how it can be understood.

Last edited:
+1

It's not a simple concept, nor is it an illusion. There is illusion in infatuation or lust, but not love. "Love is blind" is not true. Infatuation is blind. Love is eyes wide open. Loving someone meaning knowing them and loving them as is. This doesn't mean a relationship will work, but that there is potential. If anyone believes loving someone means you can change them, then they're going to be very disappointed.

The experience of it that makes it what it is. It's not the same for everyone. I think too many people call what they feel love when it's something else. Intense passion and novelty of meeting someone amazing can feel like love. Lust and infatuation feel like love. Admiration or adoration can feel like love. However, love is not a momentary intense feeling that is always heightened. It requires you to see the person as they are, not what you think they should be or what you want them to be. For a relationship between two people who love each other to work, this requires understanding, committment, loyalty, respect, and consideration. These are the intentional aspects of love.

I believe there is a midway point between liking and love. Many are in that area, but it's easier to simply call it love because we like to have things defined. This tendency to call every intense feeling or emotion love, diminishes the significance of true and substantive love.

Love is not a relationship. These are two different things. You can love someone yet not have a great relationship with them, whether because of poor relationship skills, divergent beliefs or feelings about the relationship, or conflicts or disagreements about what each person wants or expects.

Love is a feeling separate from the action. Someone can love you but not show you they love you in a way you feel loved. This is why we have five love languages.

When you love someone, you take on their feelings as well as yours. You don't put yourself first. It's not an equal opportunity concept. When you love, you don't think in terms of 50/50. Each person (without realizing it) usually thinks or acts in terms of 75/25. Some people don't require anything of the other person except a hope that they feel the same. Loving someone usually entails wanting to do things for them, just because you want to, not because you expect anything in return. You will feel for them and give to them in ways you did not expect or imagine. It's not conscious or intentional. It just is. Love has no expectations except to feel and embrace all that comes with feelings for that person. A relationship, on the other hand, involves expectations. For example, two people may love each other but can't compromise about anything. This doesn't mean they don't love each other. Rather, it means, they can't compromise as a couple. Yet, they can still love each other to death (figuratively).

Of course, if there is no reciprocation, love will be harder, and this lack of return of love can end the feelings of love and the relationship. However, love (as feeling/desire/emotion), and love (as action/behavior) should be understood as separate concepts. They are not the same.

Love can progress quickly or slowly. There is no one way to understand it. Some people find it easy to love, and others find it difficult. To define the experience for everyone as a universal concept will limit how it can be understood.

excellent words from a wise and discriminating mind. thanks for the thought-provocation.