Can´t stay in one place for more than a month or two | INFJ Forum

Can´t stay in one place for more than a month or two

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I have moved around since I was a child, and throughout my adult life. Now I am a mobile academic on short term contracts. In the past five years, I have moved to four different countries and some 7 or 8 cities. I enjoy life like this but I find that if I stay in one city for more than a month or two, I begin to get restless. Sometimes I wonder if I am ever meant to settle down and own a home or if this lifestyle is the right one for me.

Do you think this is habit (being mobile since childhood) or something deeper that may be INFJ related like figuring people out by staying in different places. Are many INFJs as restless as I am?

Reactions: Puzzlenuzzle
Solitude?
I have also moved from here to there since i was a child, for family reasons, economics and then personal, also planning to move "out" again soon. I'm not an INFJ.
I relate to the feeling, tho i can't say i was staying for only 2 months, for me it's more like past 7-8 months places lose their freshness.
The way to combat it is to find a group of friends that you can do things with, kind of like your childhood squad or smth, when that happens then whatever which bothers you goes away.
I just think the idea of having a desire of understanding people don't justifies that you need to go out from here to there like an anthropologist, because what can you possibly get to understand about a culture in that time; how deep can your relationships get?
Seems more like you feel alone to me. But maybe it was just me.

I'm just playing a riddle here, i have no clue about what bothers you.

Reactions: Artemisia
Do you want to settle down and own a home?

I also moved around a lot and finally slowed down because I got tired of it. Felt like it was nice to just stay in one place for a bit.

I enjoy travel, however, I am more interested in finding permanent lodging. My ultimate goal: live, own a home, and retire in a city.

I hate suburban life. I'm not Carl Winslow.

I hate rural life. I'm not Lao Tzu.

I can relate to this, completely. My restlessness is a bit longer though. I can tolerate things usually for a year or two. Three has proven to be my maximum.

In the past 12 years, I've lived in 4 different states and enjoyed moving to a new apartment every year or two in a new area. I DID buy a house in 2014 and found myself growing restless after the 2nd year and channeled my need for change into remodeling and landscaping. I loved owning a home but I've decided that I need a couple homes, one on each side of the country cause I cannot stay in one place too long.

I like the idea of owning a permanent piece of property but as my mother says, I have "a gypsy heart". For me personally, I think I'm addicted to the "fresh start". I've never been 100% happy or accepting of myself and so I think the new beginning feels like an opportunity to be someone new for a little while. A way to run from my depression or bad experiences. It's also a nice distraction to not analyze myself and stay focused on new and beautiful places.