Backup System | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Backup System

Well be sure to calculate how much the electricity will cost over 25 years to see if it's worth it. You know, just in case you feel like rejecting my answer again. You could buy an ARM-based computer, but then you'd have to boost it up to 50 years.

You take it way too personal. The solution you offered just isn't cost-effective. But thanks for reminding me about FreeNAS.

Last edited:
You take it way too personal. The solution you offered just isn't cost-effective. But thanks for reminding me about FreeNAS.

Your response obviously isn't about cost efficiency. You have plenty of room for options as to what hardware to use, but you instead chose an inefficient option, and for whatever reason, chose an arbitrary amount of 5 years of electricity to justify costs. Though I'm sure you'll give me a reason after the fact. If you are meticulous enough to plan such a variable, you would have mentioned it as being a factor before hand. Don't tell me I'm taking it personal when you make blatant errors like this.

Trust me that wasn't personal. And you shouldn't take it personally either.

Of course I trust you, just as I trust everyone. I never said I took it personal, but I do think how you've chosen to respond was influenced by something personal. My reasons for believing that are of course stated in my previous posts.

I did the quantum NAS was slight overkill and I only suggested it for the shiny factor. [MENTION=4864]swing[/MENTION] may I ask what DIY NAS options did you look into, as you can get some low powered setups

No no, I understood the NDX-8 was just tech talk. As for DIY NAS: I have a few microATX pieces here lying around and was thinking of installing FreeNAS on them. But they're so old it really isn't worth it. And I also thought about buying one of those Atom nettops, also using FreeNAS. But I finally I ended up with models from D-Link and Qnap.

But your RDX suggestion really got me going since it combines durability (of tape) with speed (of hard disks). And a good price. Do you have experience with that system? They say you can drop the cartridges from 1m without damage, but what if you (slightly) move the drive during backup operations? Or, say, power surges?

No no, I understood the NDX-8 was just tech talk. As for DIY NAS: I have a few microATX pieces here lying around and was thinking of installing FreeNAS on them. But they're so old it really isn't worth it. And I also thought about buying one of those Atom nettops, also using FreeNAS. But I finally I ended up with models from D-Link and Qnap.

But your RDX suggestion really got me going since it combines durability (of tape) with speed (of hard disks). And a good price. Do you have experience with that system? They say you can drop the cartridges from 1m without damage, but what if you (slightly) move the drive during backup operations? Or, say, power surges?

i mostly work with tapes, however a couple of our clients have now transitioned onto RDX, and there's no problems sofar.

as for low powered setups an amd e-350 and
MSI E350IS-E45 mobo combo will idle at around 7w add the hdd's then you could start underclocking and undervolt it

Reactions: technics
[MENTION=1]Deathjam[/MENTION] A bit off-topic, but have you ever tried RAID-Z2 or Z3? FreeNAS supports RAID-Z2 and the newest FreeBSD now has the triple-parity RAID-Z3.