Am I a Masochist?

Lex Orandi

Regular Poster
Jan 19, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I've been thinking about my current and prior relationships lately... the girl I've been with for two years is an ESFP, and my previous two year relationship was with an ESFJ. As I'm typology-ignorant, I have no idea how these types would conflict. Should I try to seek out types closer to my own? Why am I attracted to people so different from me?

The biggest thing I've noticed was that when I would talk about some moral or social issue and give my opinion, my ESFJ girlfriend would usually counter with some overly-simplistic response often based on emotion and then cling to that belief come hell or high water. She preferred to talk about people, usually gossip or another person's character. Bleh.

My current ESFP girl is almost the same (unsurprisingly), but she tends not to have any opinions on most things outside her immediate daily life (maybe that just means I'm opinionated) and likes to talk about other people even more. She's extremely good at pegging other peoples' motives though, something I'm not great at--I'm better at empathizing and comforting, I suppose.

Sorry about the ramble. Post your thoughts if you like. : )

I don't see how that would make you a masochist? I can see how it would be difficult to be in a relationship with someone like that though.

Um.... what? Anyways, I can see how that would be annoying; I hate it when people do that. However, what they did/what she does and your feelings aren't related to masochism... at all.