Agriculture

Dohavior

Community Member
Dec 1, 2013
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
sp/sx/so
Anyone in here got some tips or personal experience with hydroponics?

My situation is that I have a large deck area on back of my house and I was thinking that a vertical hydroponic setup would look amazing. I already have hanging tomato plants that are very durable and easy to maintain. I am considering Cilantro as I can't get enough of that plant in everything I eat. My concerns would be growing plants that are economical so I am thinking more along the lines of pricey herbs for consumption or medicinal purpose but mostly anything the local wildlife would not consume such as birds/squirrels/bugs. Another concern is that I don't want plants that require pollination that way I don't attract bees. I already have a system in place to trap squirrels, but am open to new suggestions.

I have reached my quota for bees because of 2 pear trees and honeysuckle bush. Would anyone know of a renewable plant food source that does not require/attract a swarm of bees?

What about indoor solutions for cleaner oxidated air involving snakeweed?

Last edited:
Reactions: cvp12gh5
I grow mint and basil. You can pinch off the flowers so they don't attract bees, and actually you want to do this anyway to preserve their flavor and make them keep growing.

You can harvest them several times a year if you want, and basil will grow inside as well and won't die off for the winter if you give it enough light in a window. Basils are usually annuals but you can make them live for several years with pruning and keeping it warm enough with plenty of light so it never goes to seed and dies. It just keeps growing and you keep trimming it.

Mint on the other hand are perennials and pretty tolerant. The leaves are sensitive to frost and may die back if left outside in winter, but the plant will still be alive and come back in spring.

Last edited: