[INFJ] - A Love of Facts - Geek Speak | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] A Love of Facts - Geek Speak

Zola

Regular Poster
May 29, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
I talk like this when I get happy and excited:

"The project was so big that it required five yards of two different types of material, each of which was 60" wide. I had to lay it out on a flat surface and draw parallel straight lines and square corners!"

"When the temperature fell below zero degrees F., my bird feeder had 11 bluejays, six cardinals, three sparrows, two chicakdees, and a woodpecker -- all at the same time!"

"The lava was 2,000 degrees F., and it spewed 13-hundred feet into the air!"

As a child, I typed as INTJ. However, I think I had mild autism. I didn't interpret social cues until after puberty. I'm much happier now that I realized I'm an INFJ. Does anyone else out there like numerical facts?

Does anyone else out there like numerical facts?
giphy.gif

Haha!
The silence is deafening.

That's me. Geek speak extraordinaire. Now, since no one has answered, I'm going to torture you with more statistics:

Hey, do you know why DNA tests for your ancestors are less significant than you think? Because, if you go back seven generations, you share less than 1% of your genes with anyone on the planet.

See, if you have half of your mom's DNA, you have 1/4 of your grandmother's, etc., on down the line. At seven generations, assuming a generation is 25 years, it's only 175 years ago. So, in less than two centuries, you've dropped to 0.78%. So, in 2018, stop looking for people before 1,843.

Haha!
The silence is deafening.

That's me. Geek speak extraordinaire. Now, since no one has answered, I'm going to torture you with more statistics:

Hey, do you know why DNA tests for your ancestors are less significant than you think? Because, if you go back seven generations, you share less than 1% of your genes with anyone on the planet.

See, if you have half of your mom's DNA, you have 1/4 of your grandmother's, etc., on down the line. At seven generations, assuming a generation is 25 years, it's only 175 years ago. So, in less than two centuries, you've dropped to 0.78%. So, in 2018, stop looking for people before 1,843.
giphy.gif

@Zola I'm more of a language geek, which is why I wasn't sure what to answer. I think I recognize the attitude you're talking about, it's just that in my case it manifests differently. At least to me it seems that being excited about etymology, morphology, rhymes, etc. is similar to loving facts in the sense that in both cases it's about being fascinated by details that most people would find boring.

What interests me in sciences is more the general ideas. But I do find facts and statistics interesting sometimes, so if this topic doesn't generate much discussion, I wouldn't mind reading more trivia if people want to share their knowledge.

I like learning facts too, and looove to play trivia. I used to be on a pub quiz trivia team with friends that played every week; these days I pretty much just play HQ trivia daily. I think numbers can make it easier to remember stuff.

Something interesting I recently learned is that an albatross uses dynamic gliding and can fly around the world in 46 days. They have the largest wingspan of any bird at 11.5 feet, and can fly for 6 days without flapping their wings once. They can also live for up to 60 years.

I like statistics too, but please, think about what you're saying. If you really shared less than 1% of your genes with anyone on the planet, you wouldn't be human. :tearsofjoy:

Something interesting I recently learned is that an albatross uses dynamic gliding and can fly around the world in 46 days. They have the largest wingspan of any bird at 11.5 feet, and can fly for 6 days without flapping their wings once. They can also live for up to 60 years.

Yessss! I love that. I'm going to use that in conversation.
I like statistics too, but please, think about what you're saying. If you really shared less than 1% of your genes with anyone on the planet, you wouldn't be human. :tearsofjoy:

True that. So, would I say "traits" instead of DNA?

I talk like this when I get happy and excited:

"The project was so big that it required five yards of two different types of material, each of which was 60" wide. I had to lay it out on a flat surface and draw parallel straight lines and square corners!"

"When the temperature fell below zero degrees F., my bird feeder had 11 bluejays, six cardinals, three sparrows, two chicakdees, and a woodpecker -- all at the same time!"

"The lava was 2,000 degrees F., and it spewed 13-hundred feet into the air!"

As a child, I typed as INTJ. However, I think I had mild autism. I didn't interpret social cues until after puberty. I'm much happier now that I realized I'm an INFJ. Does anyone else out there like numerical facts?
I love numerical facts (and the numbers general).

True that. So, would I say "traits" instead of DNA?

I'd say it like this: that past a certain limit, your genetic relationship to anyone becomes statistically indistinguishable from anyone else.

Last edited:
I like facts but not for their own sake. I learn for the sake of application.

You smarty mcsmarty pants youuuu!

Jokes aside, I’m the same way. I prefer to keep myself updated with current studies and research. Gotta keep yo self up-to-date and fill yourself with juicy knowledge.

Reactions: Wyote, jkxx and Pin