0H5PNNZ.png

omw5wi0.png

aOX5Sqz.png

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: Elder and Jexocuha
@SlowUpTake

Poll has been fixed (3 missing types added), but you will need to change your cast vote.

Thanks,
Ian

Executive, reporting for duty 🫡

Executive, reporting for duty 🫡
Dude, as the Executive, you assign the duties.

Relax, and have a moment. Youʼre chilling in the C-Suite.

Amirite?,
Ian

Dude, as the Executive, you assign the duties.

Relax, and have a moment. Youʼre chilling in the C-Suite.

Amirite?,
Ian

As an Executive:

1. I'm beholden to the board and stakeholders. There's always a bigger fish ya know.
2. Don't question my obviously infallible overlord logic.

Journalist​

null

Most Journalists are open to new experiences and enjoy learning about others. They also have a skeptical streak that makes them difficult to trick or manipulate. Their combination of openness and skepticism make them fine judges of character. Approximately 13% of the populace are Journalists.
null

You are Intuitive: You tend to trust your intuitions — you size up situations quickly and stick with your judgments once you've made them. This tendency can be useful when you need to think on your feet, or when you're using a skill that you've already honed to perfection.
You are Subjective: People and stories interest you more than facts and figures do; you focus on the essence of ideas over the details. Your mind is more qualitative than quantitative. This trait lets you focus on the big picture over the nitty-gritty.
You are Carefree: You tend to live in the moment. You don't waste a lot of emotional energy fretting about the future. Instead, you focus on getting the most out of life right now.
You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.
null

You racked up 41.67% of the highest possible rationality score!

Reactions: Elder and aeon
People have often reported they find my logic and reasoning ability not quite up to par. I appreciate that they assume a strength even in subpar reasoning. :DScreenshot_20240222_161445_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240222_161458_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240222_161524_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
1709729490860.png

The biggest issue I had was with questions related to time-keeping, or time-blindness. A question said that "oh you have 12 hours to complete a task and this means you absolutely failed at it". Yah, that's bullshit. If a task takes 12 hours as per "common understanding" of 12 hours, my ability to work is faster than average, therefore I can finish said task in half the time without cutting corners. There's more, but eh. I don't want to turn it into an argument.

So like .. eh. I guess I'm doing what the test said I would. Detecting BS.

Is rational thinking always preferable, effective, or useful? Can intelligent decisions be made irrationally?
According to Zata Rana's investigation on rational thinking "Being rational all the time isn’t going to do you any favors", published in the Quartz, our irrationality fills in the gaps that rationality many times misses:
"One of the things people who put all their faith in reason and human logic overlook is that, even if their process is correct, what they have logically reasoned is still only a map of reality and not the actual thing. The universe is an incredibly complex system. Now, of course, if we could be sure that our logic and reasoning could incorporate every single detail of this system into its process, then it would make sense to treat such reasoning abilities as infallible. Unfortunately, we know that isn’t the case and that shows the limitations of our thinking mind."

Rana, Z. (2018, June 26). Being rational all the time isn’t going to do you any favors. Quartz. https://qz.com/1313944/being-rational-all-the-time-isnt-going-to-do-you-any-favors

Is rational thinking always preferable, effective, or useful? Can intelligent decisions be made irrationally?
According to Zata Rana's investigation on rational thinking "Being rational all the time isn’t going to do you any favors", published in the Quartz, our irrationality fills in the gaps that rationality many times misses:

Rana, Z. (2018, June 26). Being rational all the time isn’t going to do you any favors. Quartz. https://qz.com/1313944/being-rational-all-the-time-isnt-going-to-do-you-any-favors
I also want to add that without adding cultural context to "rationality" we cannot quite claim to be rational because a lot of what we understand of philosophy in modern times is essentially what we've gotten as a result of european supremacy over education, economic and other systems. It's kind of hard to think about how much we have had western european ideologies imposed upon us without fully deconstructing 500 years worth of what is essentially a colonial, post colonial and neo-colonial landscape where the majority of the globe has been fed a certain specific set of ideas set forth by a very small group of men that get repeated ad infinitum without paying equal attention to counter-arguments put forth by women and marginalized groups in particular. What we have left is that our very ideas of what logic and reasoning are very questionable - especially considering that western "rationality" has pushed the globe to the brink of disaster in terms of how we interact with the environment -- ignoring that before the last 500 years thousands of civilizations came and went that lived in harmony with earth without destroying it .. and ironically, those are the ones that have been deemed "irrational" and "undeveloped".

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread. What is my thinking style…?
The list of boxes are fun, but I find myself difficult to place. Those boxes: each one is loaded with a stereo type and requires more context to decide. I can say this about myself.
I have an old degree in Automotive Services so rational, detective…. which paid for a degree in Mechanical Engineering, (after repairing many many Fiats & Alfa Romeos). So some inventor, strategist, & coordinator.
The odd thing is: one would think after all that math, science, & engineering, I would be very logically minded and a very linear thinker… because that is the stereotype, right? I AM NOT.
In fact, I am a very nonlinear thinker. I can certainly “do” linear thinking but it is not the way my mind naturally works to solve problems while designing machines or their parts.
My thought process:
I begin at what the best(insert criteria here) solution might be and solve backwards to solve problems. This is always an iterative process and there is never only one way to solve anything; there are only alternative options vs trade offs.
As you might imagine…
This has never been smiled upon by
my linear thinking colleagues. I am just more out-of-the-box thinking, in my solving process. Say, we are tasked with getting downtown: they want to get downtown, via a long circuitous route, on surface streets taking hours through traffic. I ask why? When we can use a helicopter. There are always options vs trade offs.

Have you ever been seen as different because of the way you think?

This is a very interesting thread. What is my thinking style…?
The list of boxes are fun, but I find myself difficult to place. Those boxes: each one is loaded with a stereo type and requires more context to decide. I can say this about myself.
I have an old degree in Automotive Services so rational, detective…. which paid for a degree in Mechanical Engineering, (after repairing many many Fiats & Alfa Romeos). So some inventor, strategist, & coordinator.
The odd thing is: one would think after all that math, science, & engineering, I would be very logically minded and a very linear thinker… because that is the stereotype, right? I AM NOT.
In fact, I am a very nonlinear thinker. I can certainly “do” linear thinking but it is not the way my mind naturally works to solve problems while designing machines or their parts.
My thought process:
I begin at what the best(insert criteria here) solution might be and solve backwards to solve problems. This is always an iterative process and there is never only one way to solve anything; there are only alternative options vs trade offs.
As you might imagine…
This has never been smiled upon by
my linear thinking colleagues. I am just more out-of-the-box thinking, in my solving process. Say, we are tasked with getting downtown: they want to get downtown, via a long circuitous route, on surface streets taking hours through traffic. I ask why? When we can use a helicopter. There are always options vs trade offs.

Have you ever been seen as different because of the way you think?
what did you think of the questionnaire?

https://www.clearerthinking.org/post/whats-your-thinking-style-test