What's in a name? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What's in a name?

For me, in the Caribbean, my first name has a distinct Irish spelling but in the US, based on pronunciation, people spell it differently. Not that I have to explain too much but people often assume two different spellings commonly used here (not the correct one) unless i'm allowed to write the name or spell it myself. Sometimes, I've gone by my pseudo middle name instead. It's pseudo because I don't have a middle name but my first name is hyphenated, and most tend to ignore the hyphen so the second part of the hyphen is seen as a middle name. Since that's an easy and simple name I will sometimes go by that instead of the first part of the name, so that I don't have to worry about spelling.

Reactions: ThomasJ79
My mom wanted to name me Zoe or Tatianna. My dad insisted I be named Mary Therese, after my grandmothers. And my mom said she accepted it because it's a very Catholic name and if she couldn't name me what she wanted, at least I was named after two of her favorite saints (who my grandmothers were named after.) Though there really are a lot of influences projected onto my name in the hopes of who I would become, I think I've made it my own and it suits me.

Though I imagine that if I were a Zoe I would be an artist and if I were a Tatianna I would be a figure skater.

I am living proof that being named after a figure skater doesn't make you one. I was literally named after a figure skater that my mom liked. She put me in figure skating classes when I was little and I was terrible at it. I'm terrible at skating period, let alone figure skating. I don't think that a name has that much influence. It is more of an influence if you internalize certain stereotypes about your name or if you are treated differently because of stereotypes that others have about your name.

Is the following scenario what does everyone prefer. ..Jack or Captain Jack?

Last edited:
If the following scenario what does everyone prefer. ..Jack or Captain Jack?

How about Jack Mehoffer? If that isn't acceptable then I'll go with Captain Jack.

There is either something going on with spellcheck on this phone or my brain is degrading a bit faster than anticipated. :m083:

The point is, there is something to a name apparently because some names seem to be more pleasing than others.

The reaction of others when I say my name: "___insertmyname___? Wow!" As a younger individual I would normally receive compliments afterward. Now as an adult woman I find that others don't take me as seriously (even though my name is becoming more common with younger generations.) I believe they assume I'm a bit of a free-spirit (unstable or goofy) or perhaps unreliable? Funny thing is: I'm a free-spirit, goofy and totally reliable. I think it would be possible if some people treated me differently if I had another name. As shallow as it seems, it is one small thing that attracted my husband to me (his mother even commented how she knew "I was the one" b/c of my name.) Strange to think about.

I have to agree 100% with [MENTION=4459]Sensiko[/MENTION] regarding anonymity being near impossible when you have a less common name. I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

I am living proof that being named after a figure skater doesn't make you one. I was literally named after a figure skater that my mom liked. She put me in figure skating classes when I was little and I was terrible at it. I'm terrible at skating period, let alone figure skating. I don't think that a name has that much influence. It is more of an influence if you internalize certain stereotypes about your name or if you are treated differently because of stereotypes that others have about your name.
I don't actually believe that I would be a figure skater if only my mother had named me Tatiana. It just sounds like a figure skater's name. I was kidding.

I know some of you have kids, did the impact of their names influence your choice?

I know some of you have kids, did the impact of their names influence your choice?

For both of my boys, I went with names that were slightly different, yet solid and somewhat traditional. It was important that the names flowed well when spoken out loud and they had to sound professional and look good on a business card. So yes, the impact of the names definitely influenced my choice.

My first name means "worthy of love", my middle mean "clear, bright light", and my last means "on top of the hill". So whatever. My first and last name roll off the tongue and even rhyme so it's very hard for people to forget me. Otherwise, I don't think it means much. People assume I'm either Indian or Italian when people see my last name and my first name is Latin.

Last edited:
Reactions: say what
I think its important yeah.

Its important what we call things.

I read a novel once in which peoples available choice of names was restricted at the time when named their child to a list generated by computer to could choose from but it was however a unique name and would permit them to be identified by the name from there on by anyone and everything, no no.s or IDs or passwords required in that world.

Do you think if you had a different name, you would have turned out differently? Do you think aspects of your personality would have changed? Would you have experienced different things?

How much does a person's name make who they are?

Damn fine question. A LOT, I think. I met a guy named Howey, the other day. I forget names like most people, but I won't forget his, ever. It's also kinda a name you wanna say "Howey!" Maybe a little silly, but doesn't that sound like a pleasant guy? As opposed to say, Edgar.

Damn fine question. A LOT, I think. I met a guy named Howey, the other day. I forget names like most people, but I won't forget his, ever. It's also kinda a name you wanna say "Howey!" Maybe a little silly, but doesn't that sound like a pleasant guy? As opposed to say, Edgar.

Do you think your name suits you?

Do you know if you might have been called something different? And if so- have you ever thought about how that might have changed you?

Do you think your name suits you?

Do you know if you might have been called something different? And if so- have you ever thought about how that might have changed you?

Well shit, so much for anonymity. My name's Kevin. I swear, all the Kevins I know, and are actually friends with too, are all a little abrasive at times, and maybe a little angsty, and prone to violence. I am NOT violent towards people (well actually I think I might project it), but I enjoy combat sports. I have NO idea, if this has anything to do with being named Kevin, haha, just sayin' I have noticed some similarities. Like, it kind of has a sharp sound to it.

I think if I had been named, ohhhh say, Duncan. Yes, I actually do believe that would have affected my personality. More importantly, I think it would have affected how people see me and thus, how I see myself. That's why this is a really interesting thread. I mean who doesn't want a friend named Duncan. "Oh hey I'm going over to Duncan's tonight." "Duncan! I love that guy!"

BUT I could be wrong. And I would be exactly the same person.

Edit: Ha, I feel I need to mention, I'm a really kind person, and have NEVER beaten up anyone outside of a boxing ring or cage or jiu jitsu mat. I've come close, but have never been the instigator, and I don't stand down, so that's usually when a street/bar fight diffuses. Said instigator/shit talker, is all bark 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Well shit, so much for anonymity. My name's Kevin. I swear, all the Kevins I know, and are actually friends with too, are all a little abrasive at times, and maybe a little angsty, and prone to violence. I am NOT violent towards people (well actually I think I might project it), but I enjoy combat sports. I have NO idea, if this has anything to do with being named Kevin, haha, just sayin' I have noticed some similarities. Like, it kind of has a sharp sound to it.

I think if I had been named, ohhhh say, Duncan. Yes, I actually do believe that would have affected my personality. More importantly, I think it would have affected how people see me and thus, how I see myself. That's why this is a really interesting thread. I mean who doesn't want a friend named Duncan. "Oh hey I'm going over to Duncan's tonight." "Duncan! I love that guy!"

BUT I could be wrong. And I would be exactly the same person.

Edit: Ha, I feel I need to mention, I'm a really kind person, and have NEVER beaten up anyone outside of a boxing ring or cage or jiu jitsu mat. I've come close, but have never been the instigator, and I don't stand down, so that's usually when a street/bar fight diffuses. Said instigator/shit talker, is all bark 95% of the time.

I pushed a girl when I was in 7th grade. To be fair, she stole my Sailor Moon trading card and called me a chubby loser. SO I PUSHED THAT BITCH RIGHT SOME GOOD! ...except she was 3 times my size and didn't move...then she pushed me and...it just went downhill from there!

I don't think I've ever known a Kevin! I did know a Duncan- nice guy! I think names are more powerful than we think. I think their sacredness and power has been lost...especially now when names are picked more for wowness (e.g., Apple!!?) than meaning!

Reactions: rawr
I pushed a girl when I was in 7th grade. To be fair, she stole my Sailor Moon trading card and called me a chubby loser. SO I PUSHED THAT BITCH RIGHT SOME GOOD! ...except she was 3 times my size and didn't move...then she pushed me and...it just went downhill from there!

LMFAO.

Dare you reveal your own name? You can PM me.

Yeah I agree. I think if I had a kid, I'd put a lot of thought into it. Hell, I already have. Sometimes a safe bet is a classic name like James or John. I know so many Johns, but really, theyre all pretty stand up guys.

And for a girl, I like Masie, or Madeline, or Olivia (but that one seems to be trending).

I woulda considered William (Will) but as my Ancestry.com addiction earlier this year proved, I think every white man alive in the 1800s up to mid 1900s was named William. And I think law required all daughters to be named Elizabeth.

LMFAO.

Dare you reveal your own name? You can PM me.

Yeah I agree. I think if I had a kid, I'd put a lot of thought into it. Hell, I already have. Sometimes a safe bet is a classic name like James or John. I know so many Johns, but really, theyre all pretty stand up guys.

And for a girl, I like Masie, or Madeline, or Olivia (but that one seems to be trending).

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Madeline and Olivia!

For a guy: Carter, Colin, Lucas, Fredrick

For a girl: Olivia, Sophia, Eli

It changes all the time though! :)

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Madeline and Olivia!

For a guy: Carter, Colin, Lucas, Fredrick

For a girl: Olivia, Sophia, Eli

It changes all the time though! :)

Carter?? Ewwwwww! haha That boy should expect regular schoolyard beatings.

Yes to Colin and Lucas. I always thought Vince would be a good name. Who's gonna mess with Vince?

Sophia, yes. I think I just released some dopamine just thinking that name.