Love Often & Absolutely ♡
Retired Staff
Jul 14, 2016
USA
MBTI
INFJ-t
Enneagram
2w1, 2w3
Quite the controversial topic in the news recently.

'A 17-year-old boy whose lungs were irreversibly damaged by vaping received a double-lung transplant at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, a lifesaving measure taken when a patient’s own lungs are diseased or damaged beyond repair and there is no other hope of survival, doctors said on Tuesday.

Without the transplant, performed last month, the patient “would have faced certain death,” Dr. Hassan Nemeh, who led the surgical team, said during a news conference at the hospital.'

The rest of the story here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...health/vaping-double-lung-transplant.amp.html

What are some of your thoughts regarding vaping?

Should notice be taken that individuals are filling these vaping devices with other substances besides the intended oils and liquids?

Should the companys and manufactures be penalised because the users found an alternate use for vaping devices and accessories?

Should traditional tobacco smokers continually be chastised for the "second-hand" smoke? Segregated outside, so others are not affected? Yet, Vapers inhale in stores, resturants, bars, schools, etc.??

Back to the news story about a 17 year old needing a double lung transplant for opting to use the vaping device for something other than its intended use...

Why?

Quite the controversial topic in the news recently.

'A 17-year-old boy whose lungs were irreversibly damaged by vaping received a double-lung transplant at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, a lifesaving measure taken when a patient’s own lungs are diseased or damaged beyond repair and there is no other hope of survival, doctors said on Tuesday.

Without the transplant, performed last month, the patient “would have faced certain death,” Dr. Hassan Nemeh, who led the surgical team, said during a news conference at the hospital.'

The rest of the story here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...health/vaping-double-lung-transplant.amp.html

What are some of your thoughts regarding vaping?

Should notice be taken that individuals are filling these vaping devices with other substances besides the intended oils and liquids?

Should the companys and manufactures be penalised because the users found an alternate use for vaping devices and accessories?

Should traditional tobacco smokers continually be chastised for the "second-hand" smoke? Segregated outside, so others are not affected? Yet, Vapers inhale in stores, resturants, bars, schools, etc.??

Back to the news story about a 17 year old needing a double lung transplant for opting to use the vaping device for something other than its intended use...

Why?
Smoking is a bad and smelly habit anyway. Vaping doesn't change that. One more reason to abandon it.

I'd like to see it barred as illegal. I wonder what that would do to city air.

Smoking is for me the single most pointless thing. If a person smokes, they need to do a looooot to win me over and change my opinion of them.

I have 0 friends that smoke and 90% of them don't drink. Smoking implies a lot about the character and values of a person.

Sorry not sorry to all smokers.

Smoking is for me the single most pointless thing. If a person smokes, they need to do a looooot to win me over and change my opinion of them.

I have 0 friends that smoke and 90% of them don't drink. Smoking implies a lot about the character and values of a person.

Sorry not sorry to all smokers.
Get over yourself.

giphy.gif

As for the story, it's really sad that kid screwed up his health over vaping. But kids don't make the best decisions. Not the company's fault he had obtained it and used it improperly though. Parents gotta keep track! There should be more warning about risks though especially if not used correctly.

Last edited:
Ugh, what's with people wanting to ban everything these days? Vocal anti-smokers are the worst, especially the ones who cough passive-aggressively.

It was pretty short-sighted to act as though vaping was going to be harmless and, whilst I agree that banning smoking/vaping on the premises should be an option for any business, harmful things need to be an option because almost everything is potentially harmful. The machines that make the big clouds of vapour are pretty obnoxious but, again, most things can be done in an anti-social way if you want to. The same people who make the big obnoxious clouds also play their shite music out loud in public places etc. The tendencies toward anti-social and self-destructive behaviour could probably do with being looked in to...but nothing rash needs to be done in my opinion.

OP was talking about vaping, but the thread has morphed a bit.

I used to smoke. For about ten years. It is addictive. It was stupid, but there you go. I did it! What stopped me smoking was the impending birth of my first daughter. I figured I had no right to inflict on her what I was inflicting on myself.

I made an adult choice to take up smoking. I'll live with the consequences of that choice and would still say the same if I was still smoking.

But I disagree that others should suffer for your own personal habits. I'm very much of the opinion that you can make stupid decisions that affect your own life negatively, but only make decisions that affect other people's lives positively.

I agree with banning smoking at the workplace (and for us this includes vaping - thought I am not sure whether that is the legal aspect or just a follow on from the smoking ban we have here)

If you make a life choice and it does not affect others, then I think that you should go for it. You are a responsible person. We cater too much nowadays to the lowest common denominator.

I think smoking in public spaces should be restricted, age restrictions need to remain in force, and I think smoking/vaping needs to come with obvious warning labels, but ultimately, I don't agree with an outright ban and I don't believe companies should be held responsible for consumer misuse of their products. You choose what you put in your body and everything has consequences; google is free.