Things That Freak Introverts Out | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

Things That Freak Introverts Out

A friend inviting me over, "Let me know if you want to come over...."
My reply, "Yes, I do. Is either Thursday or Friday good?"
Friend, "Sure, just let me know!"

Oh no! I am letting you know right now! I already said I could visit on one of two days, please just tell me which day is best for you. I don't want to invite myself over!

Try churning out some of your funny stuff, or cool ideas, or -- ugh -- share too much intimate stuff. Now, imagine an occasional cryptic comment, but mostly silence.

Why do they hate me? Oh, no...you're paranoid! Okay, but no, something is up. Hmm....are you paranoid after all?

Answer: NO

You are joke fodder, dumbass.

Introverts don't enjoy gaslighting.

giphy.gif

Thoughtless surprises.

Over socializing.

My SO has pressured me into going out tonight, even though we went out last night, and are going out tomorrow. My INTJ is broken. Dragging my feet into the shower. LOL

I hate having an invitation for some "activity" just sprung on me, particularly last-minute. I don't like the presumption many extroverts make that one must go out and do things outside the home regularly in order to live a happy and fulfilled life. It's especially irksome when they invite me to outside events with the intent of "getting me out of the house," when I don't want to be gotten out of the damned house. I've already been out of the house the whole fucking workweek. Being in the house all weekend is N I R V A N A so leave me tf alone.

Surprise phone calls, as mentioned in the OP is a huge one, especially at work. In general, I find most business phone calls to be at best inefficient, and at worst excruciating. If you want to know something from me, take 2 minutes to type out a damned email and you'll get a complete, correct and easy-to-understand response in short order. Call me and start asking questions out of the blue, and more than likely I will stammer like an idiot until I can find an opportunity to use the "let me do some research and call you right back" card. I have worked with some individuals for the better part of a decade who still haven't figured this out yet.

@infinite dreams - everything you wrote is 100% accurate.

Things that freak introverts out:

– Sitting at bars "chatting" with strangers, especially strangers we have nothing in common with. (Especially when we don't drink.)

– Being at a crowded event after we "hit the socializing wall" and need to go home. I go from personable and polite, to silent in 3, 2, 1....

– "Well, you're the one who is good with people, so you do all the talking...." I'm good with people because I'm an adult, and polite conversation is a life skill. I'm cringing and squirming on the inside!

– "Let's invite ourselves over..." No!!!

Last edited:
I hate having an invitation for some "activity" just sprung on me, particularly last-minute. I don't like the presumption many extroverts make that one must go out and do things outside the home regularly in order to live a happy and fulfilled life. It's especially irksome when they invite me to outside events with the intent of "getting me out of the house," when I don't want to be gotten out of the damned house. I've already been out of the house the whole fucking workweek. Being in the house all weekend is N I R V A N A so leave me tf alone.

Surprise phone calls, as mentioned in the OP is a huge one, especially at work. In general, I find most business phone calls to be at best inefficient, and at worst excruciating. If you want to know something from me, take 2 minutes to type out a damned email and you'll get a complete, correct and easy-to-understand response in short order. Call me and start asking questions out of the blue, and more than likely I will stammer like an idiot until I can find an opportunity to use the "let me do some research and call you right back" card. I have worked with some individuals for the better part of a decade who still haven't figured this out yet.

Yup! I’m the same way! I absolutely hate last-minute plans, especially when I am just not in the mood to leave outside my house, especially after a long day at work lol... let me be a hermit please!

Phone calls are a pain sometimes lol. I hate making appointments haha, and I don’t enjoy unexpected calls, especially when it’s a small favor from someone—which can be typed down in a brief text.

I don't like the presumption many extroverts make that one must go out and do things outside the home regularly in order to live a happy and fulfilled life.
I think their presumption works rather well for themselves. Social networking can lead you many opportunities... but only if you have that ability which many introverts do not.

Doing things which bring a person success are enjoyable. Fun and play are basically practicing things which sustain your survival.

Fun and play are basically practicing things which sustain your survival.

Yup, which is why play fighting (sports, video games) is fun for a lot of people.

Asa, master of the obvious!

My boss's boss: Introvert employee who deals largely with people on a 1:1 basis, you and your coworkers are now considered to be subject matter experts. Think of something you want to give multiple trainings on next year to roomfuls of people you don't know and we'll start scheduling.

My boss's boss: Introvert employee who deals largely with people on a 1:1 basis, you and your coworkers are now considered to be subject matter experts. Think of something you want to give multiple trainings on next year to roomfuls of people you don't know and we'll start scheduling.

Lol RIP

People who approach me when I’m in my car parked. Wtf?!
WTActualF?

Congrats on being an expert?????
And as Wyote said, RIP.

People who approach me when I’m in my car parked. Wtf?!

WTActualF?

Inevitably accompanied by a very loud "EXCUSE ME SIR!? EXCUSE ME!?"

I literally want to bore a hole straight through the floorboard of my vehicle, through the earth's crust and mantle and onto the other side of the globe.

When someone thinks your silence means keep going, and ignore that your face is saying, don't keep going. :D

When people ask you a ton of questions, as if interrogating you, and don't do any talking themselves. They want you to keep the conversation going. No. Seriously?

@Gaze – I'm so suspicious of people who ask aa zillion question, but don't share. Ugh.
@infinite dreams - Right? I can't imagine.

Completely agree. I realized a few who did this were simply spying for some kind of information for whatever purpose I don't know, but I hate it.

Reactions: Wyote and Asa
I realized a few who did this were simply spying for some kind of information for whatever purpose I don't know, but I hate it.
Yes. Haha. Actually, I usually know why they're doing it. A fake effort to seem like they care about others, an effort to get dirt on us for various reasons (to include us, use it against us, or give that info to someone else), to find out if we're the right kind of person, because they think they're more intelligent and view us as specimens to examine (hello an INTP I know), or to use our interests and experiences to hit on us by pretending we have a 'connection'.

Reactions: Wyote and Gaze
Yes. Haha. Actually, I usually know why they're doing it. A fake effort to seem like they care about others, an effort to get dirt on us for various reasons (to include us, use it against us, or give that info to someone else), to find out if we're the right kind of person, because they think they're more intelligent and view us as specimens to examine (hello an INTP I know), or to use our interests and experiences to hit on us by pretending we have a 'connection'.

Yeah, makes sense. But many don't seem to realize that it only works if you believe they are truly interested. Sometimes, to the person they're trying to trick, the questioning is just annoying and a turn off even if they don't let on that they this is how they feel. I guess people with an agenda always think they are better than or smarter the person they're trying to play. Someone can entertain a conversation with a person even if they know their interest isn't real. They may just go along just because.

Reactions: Wyote and Asa
Yeah, makes sense. But many don't seem to realize that it only works if you believe they are truly interested. Sometimes, to the person they're trying to trick, the questioning is just annoying and a turn off even if they don't let on that they this is how they feel. I guess people with an agenda always think they are better than or smarter the person they're trying to play. Someone can entertain a conversation with a person even if they know their interest isn't real. They may just go along just because.

Yup! Yes. :)

Reactions: Wyote, Gaze and Ren