Sinead O' Connor, 5w4? | INFJ Forum

Sinead O' Connor, 5w4?

Umai

Community Member
May 6, 2023
MBTI
xxxx
I always went along with Riso and Hudson's typing of her as a 5w4, but her social media pleas for help made me question it. Wouldn't unhealthy Fives (esp. with a four wing) become intentionally isolated and minimalist, seeming outwardly ....reserved I suppose?

I don't know much about Sinead O'Connor's personal life apart from a quick look on the internet. I'd say from the sort of emotional kick she puts in her music, which sounds as though it's more than an act, that shes E4 not 5 - very possibly E4W5. That would be more consistent with the sort of breakdown she experienced and what she said in public - at least from the little I've seen of it. I think you are right about the way E5's break down - we tend to do a hamster thing and hide ourselves away while our world goes to hell. I do seek help myself quite earnestly when in trouble, but this has been under great stress as a carer for someone close to me who suffered from episodes of a very distressing psychological illness.

Hmmm. I though her plea-for-help videos just seemed... 6w7. I never considered Four and I would need to know more about that types disintegration patterns. Thanks.

I always went along with Riso and Hudson's typing of her as a 5w4, but her social media pleas for help made me question it. Wouldn't unhealthy Fives (esp. with a four wing) become intentionally isolated and minimalist, seeming outwardly ....reserved I suppose?

I'm not sure. I can't give a confident answer without thinking about this for a while. My immediate reaction was that she was more likely a 4x5 than a 5x4. I'm not familiar enough with every enneagram to suggest different combinations.
She is often typed as an INFP. When INFP is matched with 4x5, though, her hard edges and politics dissolve.
Singer Aurora is the best example of a performer who is INFP, IMO. She and Sinead seem nothing alike. While I know typing is about cognitive function and not outward behavior, we must also consider that songwriting is an emotional art by default, and most types are more emotional when producing this kind of art than they would possibly be when they step away from the craft. (Anger is an emotion, too, so this includes angry music.)

She was also bipolar, which would influence her behaviors and possibly lead to mistyping. A trait of BPD is poor emotional regulation, for example, which would make her appear more emotional than her possible true type -- either in Enneagram or MBTI.

Maybe people who study the Enneagram system more extensively or have a different type will weigh in.

Finally, per my joke post above, I can verify that 5x4s intentionally isolate.

She did write many of her own songs, but many of her hits were written by others. For example, Prince wrote her most famous song ("Nothing Compares 2 U.") He was ISFP and is often typed as an Enneagram 4.

I heard from someone who served her at a bar in Dublin that her behaviour was... objectionable... all night and the behaviour reminded me exactly of a 4w3 I once dated. But... all the 4s I've known personally and oline seemed to have too much a sense of inherent dignity and self-worth to even dream of making those sorts of cries-for-help. That just makes me think 6w7.

I heard from someone who served her at a bar in Dublin that her behaviour was... objectionable... all night and the behaviour reminded me exactly of a 4w3 I once dated. But... all the 4s I've known personally and oline seemed to have too much a sense of inherent dignity and self-worth to even dream of making those sorts of cries-for-help. That just makes me think 6w7.

That doesn't surprise me.