Recognizing Social Dynamics | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Recognizing Social Dynamics

How well are you in recognizing social dynamics within a group? And do you like doing so?

As in, determining the alpha, or the omega, or the advisor of the group, and where the rest of the group go in the group placements. And how the group goes, their values, their interactions, and so on.

Something I just randomly wondered...

Yea, i read into group dynamics very quickly and thoroughly. To a point that i forget i am part of the group. It is quite limiting in making new friends and also puts me off from joining any groups. Its the reason why i could never be part of a group in high school or cliques. Its so innate that sometimes i don't like reading into things too much and being right. In some instances ignorance is bliss; especially when it comes to interpersonal relationships. Combined with the J function; its not a great combo.

But yes, i do like reading into it.

Reactions: Siamese cat
I am very good at determining this and I enjoy it. It's natural for me and even when I'm not focusing on it I still notice it.

How well are you in recognizing social dynamics within a group? And do you like doing so?

I think I'm pretty skilled at recognizing social dynamics.

I don't usually engage in it as amusement. I tend to do it as defensive self-preservation.

I enjoy observing social dynamics more than another social activity, especially looking at communication styles and the power dynamics among the group - who is acknowledged, how, and comfort level each person has with everyone else. But I think that the evaluation of what is seen or observed can be tricky because it can often be biased, since it's based on subjective perceptions. We may think we can truthfully interpret what's happening but may not be correct.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is that relational dynamics are interesting because interaction changes depending on the persons socializing. I'd rather be an observer vs. a participant any day.

Agreed about the bias.

As in, determining the alpha, or the omega, or the advisor of the group, and where the rest of the group go in the group placements. And how the group goes, their values, their interactions, and so on.

Something I just randomly wondered...

Im very good at it and I credit Ni :)

I recognize social dynamics. It's kind of something you can't miss, I presume. You know who people follow, who leads, who people seek council with and all that The thing is, I don't particularly care most of the time and it's constantly changing based on the situation. People who seem like betas, follow the group, and all that can quickly change when they are placed in a situation where they need to be the leader. People who seem like leaders can quickly back down when threatened by a seemingly beta type individual. I think observing this information is fun but, ultimately, not useful. It's biased because we are perceiving what other people are perceiving about...other individuals.