INFJ and Low Energy

heiots

Community Member
Feb 12, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Type 4
Does anyone know if there's a correlation between INFJs and low energy? I've been giving this more thought especially after reading this thread, and how INFJs aren't inclined towards sports and more physical-based activities. Do we appear to exert more energy in tasks that come easily to other types? And are there any INFJs here who are low-maintenance, but are also being part of an environment brimming with extroverted S individuals or handling a project/hobby that they enjoy but drains them?

I don't like to use personality as an excuse to avoid an obstacle, but I'm having trouble identifying which are the obstacles to overcome, and which are signs that it's the wrong path, that if you head further down, it's going to take a toll on you. I've been trying to step out of my comfort zone, for example, and getting back in the game since my perfectionist streak kept me from enjoying music after my senior recital. I've been attending musical theatre lessons and tap classes. As much as I enjoy the rhythmic nature of tap dance, attending class week after week once I end work gets draining, in addition to vocal lessons on another weekday (which doesn't take as much out of me).

Contrast it with writing or doing graphics. Those may sometimes wear me out mentally, but not physically as with dancing or theatrical singing, which takes more effort that most people think it does. I know the potential is there, (any skill you learn is an advantage, yea?), and I love those areas of art which require physical exertion. It's exhilarating at that point of time, but they tire me after. Pushing myself just a little more might end up in a crash-and-burn, and it won't be a pretty sight.

Is there a way to work through that? Is it just practice, and the more I practise, the more the body adjusts, and things are good afterwards? Or (and I hate to say this) are INFJs just more suited to a more passive art form?

Advice would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr and Kgal
I'm not that into (active) art, but I do have problemes finding the energy to engage in certain intrestest outside work/school. I often dream about getting more invovled in the work at church, but is almost always end up being just thoughts and dreams due to that I recall that I wouldn't have the energy to last very long. But perhaps that's just the fear of being drained out that's talking? Perhaps we are able to do much more then we think, given the right circumstances? I dunno.

I'm not that into (active) art, but I do have problemes finding the energy to engage in certain intrestest outside work/school. I often dream about getting more invovled in the work at church, but is almost always end up being just thoughts and dreams due to that I recall that I wouldn't have the energy to last very long. But perhaps that's just the fear of being drained out that's talking? Perhaps we are able to do much more then we think, given the right circumstances? I dunno.

I did the dreaming, including the whole getting more involved in the work at church, but I might have taken on too much at once. A little too ambitious, maybe. Thought I could handle it. Whoops.

I think my folly here might be saying INFJs, or even introverts really, are not suited for this because of this. That kind of mindset can really trip a person up. If I had to answer my own question, as a general individual, when it gets overwhelming, it's probably best to step back, let go of some of the activity, and re-evaluate, not just continue barging through life like a bulldozer. Once we've settled into a comfortable rhythm, we can go from there. And if this path is not for me, at least I can say it's not because I lacked trying.

Also, find something to do for the fun of it. Something without a purpose. Something that seems utterly pointless.

I don't think MBTI type is related to physical energy.

Mental energy is obviously affected by MBTI. Introverts need to recharge with alone time. Perceivers are happier with freedom, Judgers with order. Et cetera.

I'm an INFJ and this has been verified consistently through many official and non-official tests over the years. I am not very artistic but I thrive on physical activity. I really enjoy most outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, pond hockey, inline skating, jogging (before my back injury), long walks, windsurfing, swimming, etc.

So I don't think low energy has to do with being an INFJ in this regard. When it come to physical labor a reasonable extent, that's probably a different story. Funny how it works like that for me.

As far as being an introvert, what you might have noticed from my activities is much of them can be done alone - which is usually the case for me.

Reactions: heiots
Try supplementing with taurine and iron? Are you sure it's not a diet/fitness thing? I have noticed that it's not that INFJs have low energy per se, but when they are first getting used to a task they may not be used to regulating their energy expenditure or channeling it.

i think infjs can be dancers. you sound very busy, if you are feeling tired maybe you are just overdoing it a little bit.

I think so too. Ballet and jazz were fine in the past. It's probably a lack of mental focus that's makes me think I'm physically tired? In any case, I'm not attending tap classes for the time being.

Try supplementing with taurine and iron? Are you sure it's not a diet/fitness thing? I have noticed that it's not that INFJs have low energy per se, but when they are first getting used to a task they may not be used to regulating their energy expenditure or channeling it.

Perhaps. I do have a history with anemia and blood pressure that's lower than that of the average person. Not that I have 'low blood pressure,' but that my readings have always been consistently low since young.

Reactions: invisible
@heiots iron will probably make a huge difference. Especially if you are not much of a meat eater. Don't knock it until you try it. But don't take my word for it. You can look it up. Chronic fatigue is a top symptom of iron deficiency anemia. Another factor in chronic fatigue is acidosis.

if I were you I would give a reduction in refined carbohydrates and an increase in iron-rich foods, or perhaps an iron supplement with vitamin c, a try

Reactions: invisible
Your interests overlap too much, most of your energy is laying dormant in unused parts of the body. I recommend some breathing exercises for the appropriate context.

Classic empath symptoms. Small minority of infjs are empaths. Much information is out there about empaths; do research on it. i thought about posting a thread on it but not many may relate so i haven't shared info on it. PM if you have questions :)

I think it depends on the activity

Some activites i can do for hours...all day long, no bother

While some activites rob me of my will to live pretty damn quick

So on top of the usual stuff about having a balanced diet and getting plenty of sleep and pacing yourself i'd say doing activities that energise you

If you are doing whats right for you then things should FLOW

if things are not flowing you might consider what you are doing. Sometimes as we change overtime the things that once energised us lose importance to us. So it becomes about re-inventing ourselves to keep things fresh, flowing and engaging

Also other areas of our life can rob us of energy leaving little left over for other things, so consider that too; so if your work is robbing you of energy leaving nothing for the good stuff in life, it might be time for a change of direction/pace

Reasonably sure extraversion correlates with higher energy levels overall. But it's important to view these things as a loose statistical scale to which there are many possible contributing factors. There's definitely physically energetic introverts out there.

Overall, physical energy and mental energy both can contribute to being outgoing/reward-seeking in a broad sense, and both go well with higher receptivity to positive emotions. Of course, there can be warm, caring, positive emotion experiencing sit-ins who mostly reflect. They'd be introverts who just score well in one aspect of extraversion.

For me, I prefer using my mind over my body for whatever reason. I guess saying that I prefer working with ideas rather than things is a better way of saying it. It may have something to do with Ni/Se, but I honestly don't have a definite answer to even my own questions about this subject. But is has been something that has been on my mind for quite some time.

For example, my mother is an ISTJ and my grandmother (fraternal) is an ISFP. Both of them prefer doing physical work rather than mental and have mentioned that they enjoy working outside, etc.

The only exceptions that I have to this is my martial arts class and the instrument that I play. However, the style that I take (aikido) is firmly rooted in the concepts of anatomy and physics that deal with energy and how your body moves so there is plenty of room for my brain to work during classes which might explain why it keeps me interested. Furthermore even though the instrument I play (drums) is very high energy so to speak and requires a lot of bodily movement, its very heavily dosed in music theory and timing and it's very important that I keep my brain running while playing.

@heiotsif I were you I would give a reduction in refined carbohydrates and an increase in iron-rich foods, or perhaps an iron supplement with vitamin c, a try

Thanks! I'll probably try that change in diet, and do some research for iron-rich foods since I've never been one for taking vitamin pills.

I'm an INFJ and this has been verified consistently through many official and non-official tests over the years. I am not very artistic but I thrive on physical activity. I really enjoy most outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, pond hockey, inline skating, jogging (before my back injury), long walks, windsurfing, swimming, etc. So I don't think low energy has to do with being an INFJ in this regard. When it come to physical labor a reasonable extent, that's probably a different story. Funny how it works like that for me. As far as being an introvert, what you might have noticed from my activities is much of them can be done alone - which is usually the case for me.

I think it depends on the activity

Some activites i can do for hours...all day long, no bother

While some activites rob me of my will to live pretty damn quick

So on top of the usual stuff about having a balanced diet and getting plenty of sleep and pacing yourself i'd say doing activities that energise you

I used to take 2-3 hour walks and hour long bike rides nearly every day in university on the greenway. I still love walks and bike-riding. Those are therapeutic, but there seems to be a difference between those and the more 'high-energy' sports like swimming laps, jogging, and in this case, tap dancing. I've always had a dislike for PE (running in circles, team sports, etc) ever since I started school. For tap, it might be that the whole music/rhythmic appeal that I'm drawn to, but it takes more effort to put in the energy needed for it since I'm usually not that active.

Furthermore even though the instrument I play (drums) is very high energy so to speak and requires a lot of bodily movement, its very heavily dosed in music theory and timing and it's very important that I keep my brain running while playing.

That's an interesting thought. I play the drums on the weekends as well for church (since we lack musicians, that means you usually play nearly every weekend), and it's never worn me out like this. Then again, you do get to sit down, and when you've been doing it for years, your body's used to it. It's second nature. Interestingly, while you prefer to keep your brain running as you play, I go on auto mode, as in I play more based on how the grooves makes me feel (simple rhythms that I thankfully don't have to count). I don't think about anything at all, so playing the drums is actually quite relaxing for me. (And the occasional frisson is addictive.)

It's probably the amount of physical exertion I'm unused to paired with the amount of focus to learn something different in lessons that gets trying. I've got a break scheduled in. :)

Your interests overlap too much, most of your energy is laying dormant in unused parts of the body. I recommend some breathing exercises for the appropriate context.

What I mean by that is singing and dancing at the same time requires enormous breathing control to maintain. Rapid changes in breathing rate can release epinephrine(adrenaline) causing anxiety. They also both require rhythm control.

Sometimes learning similar skills can help you overcome barriers, like if you are suffering from writers block maybe take up painting. But I don't think this is the case here.

It is good to have varied interests so that they can all be practiced harmoniously. I for one like to keep my reading habits spread so as not to exhaust my mental capacities in one field of thought.

What I mean by that is singing and dancing at the same time requires enormous breathing control to maintain. Rapid changes in breathing rate can release epinephrine(adrenaline) causing anxiety. They also both require rhythm control.

Sometimes learning similar skills can help you overcome barriers, like if you are suffering from writers block maybe take up painting. But I don't think this is the case here.

It is good to have varied interests so that they can all be practiced harmoniously. I for one like to keep my reading habits spread so as not to exhaust my mental capacities in one field of thought.

Good point about how rapid changes in breathing rate can cause anxiety. If it mimics some of the physical symptoms of nervousness, could it affect the emotional and mental state as well?

I do other art forms when I get stressed by one particular area. If I get frustrated by a difficult vocal passage, I turn to graphics art to de-stress. When that starts to stress me out, I leave that alone for a while and do some writing. (Don't ask me why the perfectionist bug infects everything that starts to mean something to me. I'm baffled as well. All is well and good when it's just for fun.)

By varied interests, I don't suppose you mean venturing out from the arts? Like...basketball?

Good point about how rapid changes in breathing rate can cause anxiety. If it mimics some of the physical symptoms of nervousness, could it affect the emotional and mental state as well?

I do other art forms when I get stressed by one particular area. If I get frustrated by a difficult vocal passage, I turn to graphics art to de-stress. When that starts to stress me out, I leave that alone for a while and do some writing. (Don't ask me why the perfectionist bug infects everything that starts to mean something to me. I'm baffled as well. All is well and good when it's just for fun.)

By varied interests, I don't suppose you mean venturing out from the arts? Like...basketball?

Do whatever the fuck you like! I'm just here to read. It's too early to be thinking about singing and dancing. Even the bats don't give a fart at this time of night where I'm at. Have you considered something more personal for yourself?

Writing is it. That's what I gravitate to.

I used to take 2-3 hour walks and hour long bike rides nearly every day in university on the greenway. I still love walks and bike-riding. Those are therapeutic, but there seems to be a difference between those and the more 'high-energy' sports like swimming laps, jogging, and in this case, tap dancing. I've always had a dislike for PE (running in circles, team sports, etc) ever since I started school. For tap, it might be that the whole music/rhythmic appeal that I'm drawn to, but it takes more effort to put in the energy needed for it since I'm usually not that active.

I think that motivation comes and goes and top sportsmen/women will tell you this

Their entire career is about trying to PEAK at the time of competition

But anyway...that's competitive sport and activities are not all about competition

I think there are some types that will be drawn more to competition and who will get a buzz out of beating others but i think INFJ's will prefer to be doing things just because they enjoy doing them

So competition requires STRUCTURE and that is perhaps why you are turned off by things like running laps

A competitor might spend hours each week running around the same old track, whereas a non competitive person might still nejoy running but will go and run outside somewhere beautiful and take in the scenery as they do it

So I think for INFJ's it is about listening to our body and listening to its rythms and going with the flow

Structure is for the more robotic personality types.....we might ebb and flow more so why not go with that flow? Don't worry about training programmes, just do what you want as and when you want to do it...a more organic approach is what i mean

If you forxce yourself to do stuff you don;t want to do it sucks the fun out of it; but for a competitive type they don't seek fun in training because for them the fun (the pay off) comes when they compete and try and beat others at something

If you are doing something you enjoy doing it should feel energising and natural, but finding that thing can take a bit of trial and error

But don't get sucked into the obsessive, bipolar world of competitive training etc if enjoyment is what you seek