Creative Types Test | INFJ Forum

Creative Types Test

This is fairly spot-on when describing how I work creatively, except I also have a highly pragmatic side that anchors me and drives my ideas toward my goals.
I'm careful to nurture and protect this side of me because it is my superpower as a creative mind, but I also have a highly practical side. TBH, I think the pragmatic side causes some degree of harm.
The problem with teaming up with innovators is that they always want me to apply my creativity to their ideas, not to truly collaborate. I've tried this so many times.

dreamer1.png

This is fairly spot-on when describing how I work creatively, except I also have a highly pragmatic side that anchors me and drives my ideas toward my goals.
I'm careful to nurture and protect this side of me because it is my superpower as a creative mind, but I also have a highly practical side. TBH, I think the pragmatic side causes some degree of harm.
The problem with teaming up with innovators is that they always want me to apply my creativity to their ideas, not to truly collaborate. I've tried this so many times.

View attachment 85112
I get that when I say my creativity is expressed in madness. But I'm not sure on that.

Madness? You're most creative when you're feeling emotions higher or lows?
Is that what it means??

No idea, honestly. Isn't it a striving towards something, a letting go or an expression of your innermost when you're creative? It'd be hard to do when balanced.

Is that what it means??

No idea, honestly. Isn't it a striving towards something, a letting go or an expression of your innermost when you're creative? It'd be hard to do when balanced.

That's just my interpretation. I know artists who thrive on "madness" and swear that life's lows are the best for fueling great art. I find it hard to accomplish anything when I'm feeling unbalanced, especially during lows.

That's just my interpretation. I know artists who thrive on "madness" and swear that life's lows are the best for fueling great art. I find it hard to accomplish anything when I'm feeling unbalanced, especially during lows.
I suppose it depends on the kind of art, the kind of low. There are gates in our minds that open (more easily) to specific vibes. Whether we are more capable to create that vibe when feeling balanced or unbalanced would depend on the person. I believe the vibe would show in the work of art. An artist might experience a change and take a while to access their creative space with some different vibe on a different emotional frequency, but it would also show, right?

Taking my sewing as example, I can't produce the vibe when my room is messy, not exclusively because the energy that I'd have to spend on it is gone after tidying up.
Or if I'm depressed, I need to take in vibes before I can spend anything, because energy is also low.

I hope I'm not being confusing with that analogy.

I chose method because there is some clarity required for me to envision what the end product will look like and focus on what I'm doing. As within so without and vice versa.

I suppose it depends on the kind of art, the kind of low. There are gates in our minds that open (more easily) to specific vibes. Whether we are more capable to create that vibe when feeling balanced or unbalanced would depend on the person. I believe the vibe would show in the work of art. An artist might experience a change and take a while to access their creative space with some different vibe on a different emotional frequency, but it would also show, right?

There are gateways for me, too. I think something creative people need to do is to curate their work time to support those gateways a trim roadblocks.

Taking my sewing as example, I can't produce the vibe when my room is messy, not exclusively because the energy that I'd have to spend on it is gone after tidying up.
Or if I'm depressed, I need to take in vibes before I can spend anything, because energy is also low.

I like my home tidy, but I only tidy up after the project is finished. I also try to live in a way that is less messy and cluttered. Cleaning is busy work and never finished, so it is easy to avoid meaningful work by focusing on cleaning.

I hope I'm not being confusing with that analogy.

Nope.

I chose method because there is some clarity required for me to envision what the end product will look like and focus on what I'm doing. As within so without and vice versa.

I understand.
As a forward-thinking "big picture" person, I can find it hard to stay focused on my task and not what I plan for the task to look like at the end.
I keep lists to remind myself what to focus on. Do you have that problem?

There are gateways for me, too. I think something creative people need to do is to curate their work time to support those gateways a trim roadblocks.

I like my home tidy, but I only tidy up after the project is finished. I also try to live in a way that is less messy and cluttered. Cleaning is busy work and never finished, so it is easy to avoid meaningful work by focusing on cleaning.

Nope.

I understand.
As a forward-thinking "big picture" person, I can find it hard to stay focused on my task and not what I plan for the task to look like at the end.
I keep lists to remind myself what to focus on. Do you have that problem?
I actually have problems keeping tidy, but I think it has a lot more to do with my rebelling against other people's schedules than my seeming incapability....

I most definitely know the problem you speak of. It's why I can't draw. My inner eye is virtually blind to the end product. The near future (as in, the next step on the list) is much easier to envision. And then when I'm done, it still doesn't look like it's supposed to :sweatsmile: But I'm learning... :relaxed:

Do you keep the lists to work off? Do you sometimes rewrite them when bored??

@Ginny - Hardly anything I've ever made looks as I envisioned but as I continue on the path the vision and the end result get closer. This has a lot to do with knowing myself.
I don't rewrite my lists. I just cross things off as I address the points and add more if needed. I also keep a folder on my computer with all references, sketches, etc, in one spot.
Rush jobs are the most difficult for me because I don't have time to form a vision and have to work through it while I'm executing the piece.

I had the
the dreamer.JPG
, too.

Happy to read this sparked a lot of very interesting thoughts. I had a feeling the test but also the topic itself have a lot to offer to dive into.

[...] but I also have a highly practical side. TBH, I think the pragmatic side causes some degree of harm.
Yeah, this resonates. I was wondering if this side is connected to the Maker, or maybe it is just the feel that I get as if it could cancel out the intuitive feely side.

Honestly, for me so far it worked only when I've been working on a project and the innovator has been working on another project, and when we were just giving each other feedback rounds every now and then when need be or just for the morale. They easily bulldoze one over with their floods of ideas which can be a bit of an overload.

Some creative play in the beginning can also simulate this a bit in the beginning of a creative project, even if it isn't my natural state.

There are gates in our minds that open (more easily) to specific vibes. Whether we are more capable to create that vibe when feeling balanced or unbalanced would depend on the person.
This sounds to me like a holistic preparation to step into the flow state, to be honest, wether these gates are mingled with by nurturing yourself, setting a workplace or surrounding up or summoning a feel etc.
To me dry spells after or during difficult times in life are more difficult to lift.. I think some things just need time for slow processing or before my head can allocate the meaning of it long before any manifestation of a ceative idea.

[...] I can find it hard to stay focused on my task and not what I plan for the task to look like at the end. I keep lists to remind myself what to focus on. Do you have that problem?
I don't rewrite my lists. I just cross things off as I address the points and add more if needed. I also keep a folder on my computer with all references, sketches, etc, in one spot.
The near future (as in, the next step on the list) is much easier to envision. And then when I'm done, it still doesn't look like it's supposed to
Hardly anything I've ever made looks as I envisioned but as I continue on the path the vision and the end result get closer. This has a lot to do with knowing myself.
.. I feel you guys. At some point I try to make peace reminding myself that what is in my head speaks another language then that what is actually formed by the physical world. That what comes out is in fact something else than what is in my mind.
This is why I work best with having a framework to the steps I need to take, having rough collages of scribbles and words or nasty "mockups" inbetween*, and be ok with the fact that my mind will puzzle and synthesize on the whole picture pretty much all the time anyhow.
It's similar with the reference pictures and tools that I gather around me in the middle of a project until the end, which is actually kind of funny.

*I play (with my spirit fox) by switching the "language" so to say which sometimes helps to not get too stuck on what is in my mind. It's basically making sure I don't use only half my brain. :)

So damned accurate, especially the untapped potential...

nWksFtY.png

Cheers,
Ian

Why are the Thinkers not actually posting their description?

Dreamer

Yeah, this resonates. I was wondering if this side is connected to the Maker, or maybe it is just the feel that I get as if it could cancel out the intuitive feely side.

For me, the pragmatic side often feels like those people who say, "Be realistic." I also like more structure than the free-spirited, dreamer, creative stereotype.

Honestly, for me so far it worked only when I've been working on a project and the innovator has been working on another project, and when we were just giving each other feedback rounds every now and then when need be or just for the morale. They easily bulldoze one over with their floods of ideas which can be a bit of an overload. Some creative play in the beginning can also simulate this a bit in the beginning of a creative project, even if it isn't my natural state.

Having a structured or innovative person to review one's work is valuable. That's a good call.

To me dry spells after or during difficult times in life are more difficult to lift.. I think some things just need time for slow processing or before my head can allocate the meaning of it long before any manifestation of a ceative idea.

Hard times are a creative desert for me. It's... nothing. I have ideas but I can't make them happen and who knows if I ever will use those ideas.
Yet, I have friends who thrive during times of sorrow and depression or at least romanticize the concept of the genius mentally ill artist. This is akin to the musicians who think they need to do heroin to be great.

.. I feel you guys. At some point I try to make peace reminding myself that what is in my head speaks another language then that what is actually formed by the physical world. That what comes out is in fact something else than what is in my mind.

So well said.

This is why I work best with having a framework to the steps I need to take, having rough collages of scribbles and words or nasty "mockups" inbetween*, and be ok with the fact that my mind will puzzle and synthesize on the whole picture pretty much all the time anyhow.
It's similar with the reference pictures and tools that I gather around me in the middle of a project until the end, which is actually kind of funny.

Yes! I keep everything in a folder or two. All clearly labeled. References, sketches, colors, everything. The end result may not look anything like the items in the folder, but it helped me get to the destination anyway.

Why are the Thinkers not actually posting their description?

No kidding. I wish more people would post their various results. Thank you for posting The Visionary. Quite a bit of it is relatable. How do you think you could address taking daily action?

The Maker.

This is true for me. "There are few things that bring you more satisfaction than applying your brain power to crafting things and making progress in any form. You tend to excel in fields that blend artistry with business and technology."

maker.png