Cow escapes slaughterhouse

Bird

Happy Go Lucky
Jul 11, 2010
MBTI
-
Enneagram
-
"The story of Molly B lives again in another cow, this time a male in a New Jersey slaughterhouse that somehow figured out how to escape and wound up running across basketball courts in Paterson. During the cow’s run for freedom, spectators gathered and cheered him on. Eventually he jumped in the Passaic River and swam across. (In a rather peculiar coincidence, Molly B also swam across a river to elude animal control officers, but it was in Montana.)

All of the cow’s evasive action defy the stereotype of cows being docile, dumb beasts. Paterson city’s chief animal control officer, John DeCando said he thought the cow must have understood it was next in line for the death walk and was desperate to get away. The cow’s life has been spared by the slaughterhouse owner who agreed to let it be transferred to the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Learn more about “Mike Jr.” (named after his rescuer, Mike Stura) here.

“There is this phenomenon in our society when, where one gets away, everyone wants to cheer for that one animal, yet you might go home and eat an animal just like that one that night and never put any thought to it,” said a worker from that charity. (Source: MSNBC)

This comment is probably true, as such stories are allowed to be emotionally moving, but perhaps next to nothing actually changes in terms of human behavior. For example, when Molly B escaped, her story made the national news and many might have cheered her survival, but did not stop eating cows."

I don't think eating meat is the problem.

The problem is thinking of animals as purely meat and
not as a living, breathing, thinking creature.

The meat industry provides horrible conditions for livestock
and this is the variable that needs to change, not eating meat.

Haha, I love reading stories like that. I'm veg, but not militantly so.

"The story of Molly B lives again in another cow, this time a male in a New Jersey slaughterhouse that somehow figured out how to escape and wound up running across basketball courts in Paterson. During the cow’s run for freedom, spectators gathered and cheered him on. Eventually he jumped in the Passaic River and swam across. (In a rather peculiar coincidence, Molly B also swam across a river to elude animal control officers, but it was in Montana.)

All of the cow’s evasive action defy the stereotype of cows being docile, dumb beasts. Paterson city’s chief animal control officer, John DeCando said he thought the cow must have understood it was next in line for the death walk and was desperate to get away. The cow’s life has been spared by the slaughterhouse owner who agreed to let it be transferred to the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Learn more about “Mike Jr.” (named after his rescuer, Mike Stura) here.

“There is this phenomenon in our society when, where one gets away, everyone wants to cheer for that one animal, yet you might go home and eat an animal just like that one that night and never put any thought to it,” said a worker from that charity. (Source: MSNBC)

This comment is probably true, as such stories are allowed to be emotionally moving, but perhaps next to nothing actually changes in terms of human behavior. For example, when Molly B escaped, her story made the national news and many might have cheered her survival, but did not stop eating cows."

I don't think eating meat is the problem.

The problem is thinking of animals as purely meat and
not as a living, breathing, thinking creature.

The meat industry provides horrible conditions for livestock
and this is the variable that needs to change, not eating meat.

As long as you also think of humans as "food stuffs", then I can't disagree. :)

Reminds me of some story I heard about a bull that put on such a good fight - at a bullfight in Spain - that his life was spared and was regarded as 'legend', insofar as bovines become legends.

this story makes me think from the pov of cows from a particular scene shown in the film, "A Year with 13 Moons". The director forces your direct attention to fiercely detailed slaughters of cows. It is plainly evident that these animals are terrified, in a high state of awareness before being brutally slain. I also am not a vegetarian, and would probably recommend against watching this film if you don't consider yourself entirely "internet proof".

good for the cow, still going to eat beef from wal-mart though

lol im originally from the next town over from there....i just got some crazy visuals.

I read the story. I found it to be lovely. When I'm fully independent, I am going to become a vegetarian. It's a healthier lifestyle (if practiced correctly), and goes well with my love for animals.