Baby the stars shine bright... | INFJ Forum

Baby the stars shine bright...

James

Infamy, infamy.. they've all got it infamy
Retired Staff
Dec 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Does anyone on the forum like astronomy ? I saw this today and really loved the pictures of Jupiter from the hubble telescope.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...jupiters-auroras-revealed-by-hubble-telescope

I have a small telescope myself, which I haven't used in ages. I'm going to dig it out tonight and try to get it set up. It's not powerful enough to really see a great deal, but you can clearly see surface detail on the moon, and see far more stars etc. If I can sort things out, I will save up and get something better. I think there is something quite amazing about astronomy, just seeing the vast beautiful scale of things. I used to be friends with a member on here who was an INTJ and she was quite into science. Her husband had died some years before, I tried my best to console her and make her laugh, she was a lovely person. She was very insightful and helped me think things through at times.

I remember telling her about the transit of Venus in 2012 and initially she did not have any interest in it, I think she was probably just too down. I watched it all through several websites and I loved seeing it, even if not through my own telescope. Later on she told me she had changed her mind and did watch it herself, and I was pleased as they really are 'once in a lifetime' events.

Here in Britain we had a partial eclipse in March last year, and I made sure to buy some proper glasses to use to watch it. My ex had similarly no interest, but I bought two pairs anyway. On the day, suddenly she was interested, and it was amazing (to me anyway) to watch the thing unfold. It must have been terrifying in history when these things happened and people had no idea what was going on. The whole street seemed to want to see it, and I noticed a lot of people outside across the street but none of them had any glasses. As ever I was reluctant to approach them, but I persuaded my ex to offer to let them use a pair of our glasses so they could properly look. They looked thrilled, and shared them among the group.

If I ever get a lot of money together (never) I'd really love to sort out a well equipped mini-observatory of my own. What a way to say goodnight to the world, to be able to gaze up at the stars, instead of just watching TV. It does really make me wonder what is out there, and whether as a human race we can stop trying to argue, kill and enslave each other long enough to get out there and find out. I think that would be kind of cool.

Im pretty much all about space and whats in it. So I read the latest scientific articles associated.
These days though the pointlessness of existence is weighing heavy on me. So I am a little enthralled than I used to be.
Still if you want to strike up a conversation about anything like say... the object they just found thats only 10 miles across but is putting out the light output of the Milkyway x 50... I can do that.

Thank you for this thread, James! The other day I was wishing there was an astronomy thread here.
I used to very into astronomy. (I strayed from most of my hobbies while working on a career project that took my full attention.)

My FIL worked for NASA, so our conversations revolve around physics and astronomy. I usually read all I can about current topics so we can discuss them each time I see him.
I do not have a telescope, currently. We have one in my family's cabin in the mountains, but I only visit once a year, usually during the Perseids. When my SO and I move out of the city a telescope is one of the first non-essentials on my list to buy. :)

These photographs of Jupiter are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I also get 'Space Weather' and NASA's picture of the day in my email inbox.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for your replies. [MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] I'm sorry to hear you are feeling existence is pointless, I've thought that at times, but now (even though I'm not great at the minute) I think life is brief and very precious because of it. It's a bit cloudy and overcast now but hopefully it will clear later. I'm really looking forward to it. [MENTION=14092]Asa[/MENTION] the cabin in the mountains sounds amazing. It's difficult if you live in a big city, with light pollution etc, I'm lucky to live in a smaller town, that's isn't so bad.

A friend I used to work with had grown up in Australia, and he used to tell me that the skies were so clear and amazing there. I'm laughing as if my ex were here, I'd probably be told it was a waste of time, followed by a list of household chores I should be doing instead. Today though I have already tackled them all, the laundry is done, I've sorted the kitchen, cleaned the bathroom and hoovered the whole house. So I've earned a little star gazing I think...

I'm very interested in astronomy. A few years ago I bought a second-hand telescope, but sadly it didn't work. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a new (working!) one in the future.

Also, seeing the Milky Way in person is on my bucket list, but I'll have to travel for that since you can't see it from where I live.

I'm very interested in astronomy. A few years ago I bought a second-hand telescope, but sadly it didn't work. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a new (working!) one in the future.

Also, seeing the Milky Way in person is on my bucket list, but I'll have to travel for that since you can't see it from where I live.

Errr...so what, you going 10 light years out?

It's still too cloudy really - sigh. Oh well tomorrow's another day.

Just remembered this - music of the solar system, check it out if you haven't seen it before I think you may like it. I like to think of the universe being like this a gigantic opera playing out it's melody. Lastly the title of this thread ? It was an album by Everything but the Girl...

http://whitevinyldesign.com/solarbeat/2010/

Astronomy is too exciting for me to even handle. Like I'm getting chills just responding to this thread. When I was little I had access to some relatively high powered telescopes and that shit blew my fucking mind. Seeing depth on the Moon's surface makes it so much more real holy shit. And rings on those tiny fucking dots in the sky. Damn. If you don't love astronomy you probably do love huffing paint. Ok I need to leave this thread before my heart explodes. I'll always love you, Pluto.

Astronomy is too exciting for me to even handle. Like I'm getting chills just responding to this thread. When I was little I had access to some relatively high powered telescopes and that shit blew my fucking mind. Seeing depth on the Moon's surface makes it so much more real holy shit. And rings on those tiny fucking dots in the sky. Damn. If you don't love astronomy you probably do love huffing paint. Ok I need to leave this thread before my heart explodes. I'll always love you, Pluto.

Get a room.

i think that like me, most people avoid thinking too much about space. it makes you feel small and hopeless. that being said, i think its beautiful and uplifting to know that we inhabit a small rock in a massive sea of rocks and gasses. were lucky to be here.

Perseids!
Where are you watching them?
(I'm not sure yet. I can't see them in the city. Not sure if I'm going to see my dad.)

They peak August 12th (11th - 13) this year and we're supposed to be able to see 150 to 200 per hour. (It's usually 80 meteors per hour.)

If you've ever felt like you're "alone on this planet", here is something far sadder. Good thing the Curiosity doesn't actually have feelings! The Curiosity rover sings "Happy Birthday" to itself every August 5th while it ventures across Mars all by itself. :(

gallery_walle__0003_04_a6dc7f64.jpeg

Anyone hoping to see this ? I will be searching the sky - with my telescope.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37050631

Jupiter gravity push sets up 'meteor storm' on Earth

_90610712_99f63b02-f01d-4df3-9c04-5ac9df1485d3.jpg

Observers are looking forward to an annual event that's expected to turn into a "meteor storm" on Friday morning.

The Perseid shower occurs every August but this year scientists say a gravitational push by Jupiter will make it more intense. Some researchers are predicting up to 200 meteors per hour in the night sky at the shower's peak. The best time to view the event in the UK will be the early hours of Friday. The Perseid meteor shower is caused by a trail of debris from a comet called Swift-Tuttle which orbits the Sun.

Anyone hoping to see this ? I will be searching the sky - with my telescope.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37050631

Jupiter gravity push sets up 'meteor storm' on Earth

_90610712_99f63b02-f01d-4df3-9c04-5ac9df1485d3.jpg

Observers are looking forward to an annual event that's expected to turn into a "meteor storm" on Friday morning.

The Perseid shower occurs every August but this year scientists say a gravitational push by Jupiter will make it more intense. Some researchers are predicting up to 200 meteors per hour in the night sky at the shower's peak. The best time to view the event in the UK will be the early hours of Friday. The Perseid meteor shower is caused by a trail of debris from a comet called Swift-Tuttle which orbits the Sun.

Oh awesome... this is perfect timing.. I will be at the coast this weekend... we're supposed to have high pressure push in and that will push out the cloud cover. plus the northwest coast has very little light pollution-- it's rural and super dark except for the stars and a little over half a moon tonight. I wonder if the Milky Way will make an appearance too. going to reinstall my Sky Map app immediately =D