Zombie Invasion

dang

LONE WOLF BAD ASS
Banned
Apr 4, 2016
Santa Monica, CA
MBTI
INFP-A
Why does everyone seem to be obsessed with zombies these days? They are everywhere in pop culture. What do they represent? What do they say about the world we live in? How are they connected with geopolitics and the modern zeitgeist specifically? Can they be categorized as an archetype springing out of the collective unconscious? Are they satire, a warning, or merely scary fun? Also why is The Walking Dead so popular? I don't watch that show, but I wonder what, if anything, the zombies symbolize, or if they are merely a device to place stress on people in order to see how they react. And lastly, do you like zombies, or are you getting a little tired of them as I am? Zombies invading our lives. Discuss:

Reactions: acd
They represent our own mortality and have been around since time immemorial, when human's found out that we die and that we will probably be the death of our own species.

They represent easy to kill monsters. I reckon I could comfortably take down half a dozen or so zombies with just a bat or machete etc. This idea/delusion is one of the things that appeals to people.

They have the emotional gravitas of maybe being someone you know.

They are more believable than most monsters e.g. Goblins, dragons or whatever as all you need is a virus. No magic or mythical beasts required.

Also, particularly in america, i think the rapture is meant to have zombies

They represent easy to kill monsters. I reckon I could comfortably take down half a dozen or so zombies with just a bat or machete etc. This idea/delusion is one of the things that appeals to people.

They have the emotional gravitas of maybe being someone you know.

They are more believable than most monsters e.g. Goblins, dragons or whatever as all you need is a virus. No magic or mythical beasts required.

Also, particularly in america, i think the rapture is meant to have zombies

Are zombies inherently Christian? I guess you could argue Jesus was the first popular zombie.

Why does everyone seem to be obsessed with zombies these days? They are everywhere in pop culture. What do they represent? What do they say about the world we live in? How are they connected with geopolitics and the modern zeitgeist specifically? Can they be categorized as an archetype springing out of the collective unconscious? Are they satire, a warning, or merely scary fun? Also why is The Walking Dead so popular? I don't watch that show, but I wonder what, if anything, the zombies symbolize, or if they are merely a device to place stress on people in order to see how they react. And lastly, do you like zombies, or are you getting a little tired of them as I am? Zombies invading our lives. Discuss:

I think that they are being promoted in the media for purposes of precognitive conditioning...

Did you know that the US DHS have actually performed training exercises based on zombie out break scenario's?

Weird right?

Purely speculation, and 'gut feeling' on my part, but I think that the 'zombies' are designed to prep us for the after effects of bio/chem warfare.

Reactions: bolognamacaroni
I think that they are being promoted in the media for purposes of precognitive conditioning...

Did you know that the US DHS have actually performed training exercises based on zombie out break scenario's?

Weird right?

Purely speculation, and 'gut feeling' on my part, but I think that the 'zombies' are designed to prep us for the after effects of bio/chem warfare.

You are freaking me out. Are you serious about all of this? Maybe we should move to Fiji.

You are freaking me out. Are you serious about all of this? Maybe we should move to Fiji.

You have no idea how serious.

Like 28 days later? Could that really happen? Fast zombie people?

I doubt it.

But let's just say that I'm glad that I won't be around next century to see what new they've cooked up.
Having said that, there is a small part of me which inwardly cringes at the thought that some beasts like that may already exist.
Hopefully that's just my Lovecraftian imagination at work.

At the minute, I'm more concerned with just the physical effects modern biochems would have.

Nasty stuff... Skin melting, boils, deformities etc etc... I firmly believe that we will witness large scale biochem warfare in our lifetime..
Speaking on behalf of my generation and younger

Some of the effects make people look like the walking dead.

Last edited:
I doubt it.

But let's just say that I'm glad that I won't be around next century to see what new they've cooked up.

Why couldn't it happen sooner? If everyone were exposed to bath salts wouldn't we all start going crazy?

Why couldn't it happen sooner? If everyone were exposed to bath salts wouldn't we all start going crazy?

Yea spose. I'm just trying to optimistic.

Why does everyone seem to be obsessed with zombies these days?
Everyone sometimes wishes a drastic change in their life, an apocalypse, one that it is relatively possible to fight back against has its appeal.

What do they represent?
A dramatic change in your lifestyle, no more chains to stop you from doing whatever you want to do and a lifetime worth of extreme adventure. (adventures can be horribly swift, but ofc that happens only to other people)

What do they say about the world we live in?
Possibly that a large portion of our civilisation feels oppressed, enslaved and locked into the cycle of everyday life. People are simply not as happy with things as they used to be.

How are they connected with geopolitics and the modern zeitgeist specifically?
I do not think they're connected to geopolitics, however I do see that the majority of people who are into zombies are from "western countries". I noticed they're a lot less common a topic amongst my gaming buddies from countries that do not fit that criteria. I think i answered the time ghost a bit with the previous question though so I will just refer to that as my answer and that perhaps some difference between our societies causes us to feel more attracted to apocalyptic scenarios that would force one to break the cycle of everyday life.

Can they be categorized as an archetype springing out of the collective unconscious? Are they satire, a warning, or merely scary fun?
No, zombies and the resurrected dead is a theme that has long been a popular theme. I think minds dwelled there first as people tried to one up each other with creepy campfire stories to scare each other of someone ate the wrong shrooms or whatever and it began to become a popular theme of the somewhat darker topics.

Also why is The Walking Dead so popular?
I think it is because all these characters have their own pre-TWD stories. they used to be regular people who suddenly were forced to find a way to survive in extraordinary circumstances. This makes them heroes of a sort and the theme of an ordinary person becoming a hero is a rather appealing concept to most minds as can be proven by the overwhelming amount of superhero stuff. TWD kinda has a similar appeal. You get to see ordinary people, put into a situation, they have to survive through it and their attempt at doing so makes that ordinary person a bit of a hero. And perhaps we all kinda want to be a bit of a hero ourselves.

lastly, do you like zombies, or are you getting a little tired of them as I am?
Oh they creep me out, but I love zombie movies. Possibly for the reasons I mentioned before, no more obligations, just surviving the here and now. No more worries about how you'll end up in life etc.

Like 28 days later? Could that really happen? Fast zombie people?
Perhaps a little bit differently, I think dead will truly mean dead. But let's say someone manages to make something that affects the brains and causes extreme homicidal aggression, suppresses rational thought and has an extreme infection rate. Would that not be what defines most zombies ? In that case, does it not sound relatively easy to make a plague that does this ? Perhaps though if it is not it is because all known things that cause these things are incompatible. But we all know that sooner or later someone finds out how to do what we deemed impossible. So it might then become possible at some point to cross vectors that were previously incompatible, and as luck would have it, these days people can make their own pathogens in their basements if they have the know how.

Everyone sometimes wishes a drastic change in their life, an apocalypse, one that it is relatively possible to fight back against has its appeal.

A dramatic change in your lifestyle, no more chains to stop you from doing whatever you want to do and a lifetime worth of extreme adventure. (adventures can be horribly swift, but ofc that happens only to other people)

Possibly that a large portion of our civilisation feels oppressed, enslaved and locked into the cycle of everyday life. People are simply not as happy with things as they used to be.

I do not think they're connected to geopolitics, however I do see that the majority of people who are into zombies are from "western countries". I noticed they're a lot less common a topic amongst my gaming buddies from countries that do not fit that criteria. I think i answered the time ghost a bit with the previous question though so I will just refer to that as my answer and that perhaps some difference between our societies causes us to feel more attracted to apocalyptic scenarios that would force one to break the cycle of everyday life.

No, zombies and the resurrected dead is a theme that has long been a popular theme. I think minds dwelled there first as people tried to one up each other with creepy campfire stories to scare each other of someone ate the wrong shrooms or whatever and it began to become a popular theme of the somewhat darker topics.

I think it is because all these characters have their own pre-TWD stories. they used to be regular people who suddenly were forced to find a way to survive in extraordinary circumstances. This makes them heroes of a sort and the theme of an ordinary person becoming a hero is a rather appealing concept to most minds as can be proven by the overwhelming amount of superhero stuff. TWD kinda has a similar appeal. You get to see ordinary people, put into a situation, they have to survive through it and their attempt at doing so makes that ordinary person a bit of a hero. And perhaps we all kinda want to be a bit of a hero ourselves.

Oh they creep me out, but I love zombie movies. Possibly for the reasons I mentioned before, no more obligations, just surviving the here and now. No more worries about how you'll end up in life etc.

Perhaps a little bit differently, I think dead will truly mean dead. But let's say someone manages to make something that affects the brains and causes extreme homicidal aggression, suppresses rational thought and has an extreme infection rate. Would that not be what defines most zombies ? In that case, does it not sound relatively easy to make a plague that does this ? Perhaps though if it is not it is because all known things that cause these things are incompatible. But we all know that sooner or later someone finds out how to do what we deemed impossible. So it might then become possible at some point to cross vectors that were previously incompatible, and as luck would have it, these days people can make their own pathogens in their basements if they have the know how.

Very thorough and very deep. Nice job. I like your suggestion that a zombie apocalypse isn't merely a dystopian notion but a form of liberation. You can quit your job and steal food and shoot guns all day if you are threatened by zombies. For some that sounds like a nightmare, but for others that could be paradise. It's like a constant noble war where the zombies are always the bad guys and killing them involves no guilt. It forces you to be heroic and to live a life of excitement. So are you saying our obsession with zombies means most people would prefer a life fighting off zombies to a life paying taxes? Are zombies preferable to the IRS? Maybe. I guess a zombie attack certainly forces you to live more in the moment and to be more embodied like our ancestors were. It's like hunting and gathering all over again. No more desk jobs or computers. Just hunting skills and weapons. A zombie invasion as a means of becoming tribal once again? Interesting concept. The complete breakdown of society might actually be a secret fantasy for many. Zombies as salvation? Wow.

So are you saying our obsession with zombies means most people would prefer a life fighting off zombies to a life paying taxes? Are zombies preferable to the IRS?
Yeah think about it, you're bob, you work the floor in retail, mums with screaming kids come in who knock stuff over, you clean up other peoples stuff, you earn shit pay for the thankless job, your supervisor is a jerk who is likely to fire you and you are worried about paying your bills at the end of the month. You kinda earn too little so you do the odd job on the side, you can't even get a girlfriend and the few times you did have one you failed to make ends meet every damn time. Life looks like shit, every day is the same, and your debt just keeps freaking increasing. A debt because you live and got a shit job, not because you're living a fun life in a nice house but in some shitty apartment in a bad place where you expect to get mugged when you come home from work. You make extra hours, the one thing you got is that playstation and telly of yours and a couple of online mates with who'm you can kick back an hour or two before you need to go to bed to get to work in time in the morning. You kinda want to go on a vacation but the best you can afford is the occasional trip to the grocery store. You got no future whatsoever that looks positive for you and fuck it a zombie apocalypse would allow you a chance to just get away from it all.

Now this fictional character called bob might seem over the top, but everyone has their own issues. The thing is the idea of an apocalypse that you need to survive is appealing because it would mean an escape of the shitty situation you find yourself in, in your current life and the expectations placed upon you within society has for you.

A zombie invasion as a means of becoming tribal once again? Interesting concept. The complete breakdown of society might actually be a secret fantasy for many. Zombies as salvation? Wow.
Not necessarily tribal, but simply an easy get away from all the "shit".

And perhaps technology does play a role in all of this. Think about it. You make more hours because we got light if it gets dark early, we do the same things everyday because really, we all work in a pipeline in one form or another. When you don't feel like talking to anyone your phone starts ringing, you get emails or posts on your social media, etc etc. and they all need to be answered. You are constantly hounded by all of this with no real escape from it. So yeah perhaps people do wish for earlier times. Perhaps not consciously but perhaps subconsciously. A world where you can start a new where no one knows you and you can leave it all behind you. yeah. I actually think you might be right on the tribal part to some degree. That kinda begs the question though, does too much technology make us unhappy ?

Zombies represent the mindless drones of society. In other words, the far left of society.

Weird right?

Ummm....

Yeah think about it, you're bob, you work the floor in retail, mums with screaming kids come in who knock stuff over, you clean up other peoples stuff, you earn shit pay for the thankless job, your supervisor is a jerk who is likely to fire you and you are worried about paying your bills at the end of the month. You kinda earn too little so you do the odd job on the side, you can't even get a girlfriend and the few times you did have one you failed to make ends meet every damn time. Life looks like shit, every day is the same, and your debt just keeps freaking increasing. A debt because you live and got a shit job, not because you're living a fun life in a nice house but in some shitty apartment in a bad place where you expect to get mugged when you come home from work. You make extra hours, the one thing you got is that playstation and telly of yours and a couple of online mates with who'm you can kick back an hour or two before you need to go to bed to get to work in time in the morning. You kinda want to go on a vacation but the best you can afford is the occasional trip to the grocery store. You got no future whatsoever that looks positive for you and fuck it a zombie apocalypse would allow you a chance to just get away from it all.

Now this fictional character called bob might seem over the top, but everyone has their own issues. The thing is the idea of an apocalypse that you need to survive is appealing because it would mean an escape of the shitty situation you find yourself in, in your current life and the expectations placed upon you within society has for you.

Not necessarily tribal, but simply an easy get away from all the "shit".

And perhaps technology does play a role in all of this. Think about it. You make more hours because we got light if it gets dark early, we do the same things everyday because really, we all work in a pipeline in one form or another. When you don't feel like talking to anyone your phone starts ringing, you get emails or posts on your social media, etc etc. and they all need to be answered. You are constantly hounded by all of this with no real escape from it. So yeah perhaps people do wish for earlier times. Perhaps not consciously but perhaps subconsciously. A world where you can start a new where no one knows you and you can leave it all behind you. yeah. I actually think you might be right on the tribal part to some degree. That kinda begs the question though, does too much technology make us unhappy ?

You are very bright. Glad you did not choose to ignore me. We both seem to be interested in what is wrong with modern society. Your post reminded me of Sean of the Dead. A bored Brit who becomes a hero due to zombies. He gets to steal nice cars and kill zombies like you would playing video games. His life improves. Until he dies. But he gets to escape from his stagnant life and really live before his demise. I think he enjoyed the whole experience. Have you seen that movie? It is a great example of the fantasy you speak of. So are people really tired of modern life? Do they want to do away with technology and return to the way we lived say 10,000 years ago? Like Freud said in Civilization and its Discontents, society is inherently dissatisfying. Everyone has to make compromises. You have to obey rules. It can be boring and frustrating. With the Walking Dead, if someone threatens you you can kill them without consequence. Today, if you threaten me and I even punch you I can go to jail. So we can never get away with being true to our primal selves. I think everyone at the deepest level wants to be free. But society has it's pros and cons. Society confines us. If you are rich your life is easier. But if you are poor you can almost feel like a slave. How many options do you have? Like you said, you can't go on a vacation, pick up desirable girls, eat at good restaurants, buy nice clothes, go to cool clubs or have much real fun doing anything like going skiing. You are trapped. Perhaps our zombie obsession is connected with our disdain for the trappings of modern life, and how it differs from our environment of evolutionary adaptedness, but also our displeasure with income inequality. If you are a billionaire you probably don't want a zombie apocalypse as much as the guy who works in the convenience store. So this begs the question, will our species create a zombie apocalypse scenario in order to rebel against the status quo?

If a zombie apocalypse is a collective dark fantasy which people currently share, what does that say about how dissatisfied people must currently be with the state of the world? If a nightmarish dystopian scenario is preferable to modern life, how would you characterize our world as it is? Worse than dystopian? Is that even possible? Is security worse than danger for truly enjoying life? Maybe.

Is it possible the zombie invasion has already begun? But not literally but figuratively? When I walk down the street most people don't even see me. They are preoccupied. Lost in thought. Staring at adds. Focused on electronic devices. Unwaware of their surroundings. They seem mindless, soulless. They are like the walking dead. They just keep moving forward with a single minded intent of getting somewhere. No interest in being present, making eye contact, stopping to pet a dog, smile at a baby or listen to music. They are in a cultural trance. They are neither alive nor dead. Just like zombies. They move but they are unaware. They only want to consume and then move on and then consume more. An endless cycle. Living in Venice felt like a zombie movie. Lost souls wandering aimlessly in the dark, searching for humans to prey upon. There was no escape. You had to isolate and hide like a hermit to survive. The apocalypse has begun. People dread something which already exists. Why do we need brain eating zombies when we have distracted, mindless, hedonistic zombies already? They serve the same purpose. They are a threat. They force the non zombies to run for their lives. They dominate the landscape, creating a barren wasteland of paved over opportunity. They keep coming. Will you be seduced? Or will you overcome and transcend your nightmarish scenario? Paranoia is difficult to ward off. Keep moving. Find shelter. Learn to be self-sufficient. The zombies are everywhere. But do not fear. They can not hurt you if you are aware of their limitations. They can be defeated. But first you must realize you have been a zombie yourself all along. Now that you know, you have a fighting chance. Good luck. We are all zombies now. But hopefully that will one day change. I don't want to be a zombie anymore. How about you?