A Person

Regular Poster
Nov 3, 2010
Somewhere
MBTI
Artichoke
Enneagram
N/A
What would constitute a perfect working society?

What would constitute a perfect working society?

Utopian doesn't mean perfect, It means nowhere. which pretty much sums up the possibility of a Utopian society.

Reactions: Norton
Utopian doesn't mean perfect, It means nowhere. which pretty much sums up the possibility of a Utopian society.

Excuse my ignorance. The question still remains, what would constitute a perfect working society?

Excuse my ignorance. The question still remains, what would constitute a perfect working society?

Nothing to be excused, it's common terminology. I'm just being picky about words.

Ultimately though, I believe that human nature wouldn't allow us to live in a perfect world or create one. We will always be at odds with one another for the often the most ridiculous reasons.

Nothing to be excused, it's common terminology. I'm just being picky about words.

Ultimately though, I believe that human nature wouldn't allow us to live in a perfect world or create one. We will always be at odds with one another for the often the most ridiculous reasons.

I get this response often and this is how I always reply: if people believe that something cannot be changed would they then never look for a way to change it?
If it was possible what would it be like?

Reactions: bamf
In my perfect world everything would run efficient, there would be no wars because all the land and its resources would be for everyone, not just a few. Money wouldn't exist, and technology would relieve people from bondage of servitude to a job, allowing everyone to pursue their passions. The education system would be based on an individuals strengths and abilities and according to their method of learning best.

There would be no centralized government, but rather consisting of technical people who would be advisors of how we could improve current technology that could sustain the Earth and its people in it. We would try to create technology so great that would allow us to populate other planets so we don't have an overpopulation issue. Science would be the ultimate tool of explaining things, which would take religion out of the equation.

Birth control would be carefully enforced, determining it by the current capacity of the Earth and the resources to take care of bringing newborns into this world. I would allow genetic manipulation only if its for the prevention of terrible diseases, such as cancer or another heritable disease.

The crime rate would be low, due to the fact that most of the crimes are money-based and since money would no longer exist, no major crimes would be reported. And out of those people who commit crimes out of their pure free-will, would be provided with two options: 1.) their own home out of the margins of society, or 2.) Highly capable individuals that could provide therapy for their behavior.

My world would have flawless infrastructure and services, since everything would be run by machines.

That's my vision of a utopia. Of course, there's a lot more I could add to this, but I figure that it would look like an essay rather than a post.

I believe that human nature wouldn't allow us to live in a perfect world or create one.
I certainly agree, but I have also noticed times and places in the past where people got a whole lot right...not perfect, of course, but darn close. These historical moments didn't last forever due to a range of circumstances...if they had the world would be a far better place. Some of these are all but forgotten, and that is sad.

My utopian society would consist of highly evolved humans. Say, 50,000,000 years in the future (after a few bumps in the road during that time). There would be no need for agriculture because those living (having survived a nuclear holocaust) would have evolved through a mutation to be able to produce salty cured meats from their own bodies (in the form of tumors) so there would be no scarcity of food and no need to work for it. We would be a collectivist society that had also evolved to become fully functional intersex specimens. We would have become highly enlightened by then, after abandoning earth (after nearly destroying it) for some newly discovered planet light years away--only to become enslaved and domesticated by a race of superior original habitants who thought we were really cute and helpful. After a movement to re establish human dignity, we would venture back to planet earth only to find that in our 50,000,000 year absence, the earth had replenished itself of resources and species... and that dogs had evolved into highly intelligent self-aware bi-pedal beings which we learn to co exist with peaceably.

Last edited:
honesty

a perfect world... hmm.

If the entire world were made of INFJs, and we were all comfortable enough with each other to come out of our shells and confide in each other... That would make for both a perfect, and BORING world. Come to think of it though, if we were all INFJs, and we were comfortable to be out with our thoughts, feelings and emotions, then we would in turn become Enfjs... and I don't find that to be near as cool.

Perfection? A perfect world I guess, then... would be that we're all just as imperfect as we already are.

Wow!! Looks like we've already made it to perfection. High Five everyone. Give yourselves a big ol' pat on the back.

Reactions: AUM
In my perfect world everything would run efficient, there would be no wars because all the land and its resources would be for everyone, not just a few. Money wouldn't exist, and technology would relieve people from bondage of servitude to a job, allowing everyone to pursue their passions. The education system would be based on an individuals strengths and abilities and according to their method of learning best.

While most of this sounds great, I believe that if we all perused our passions, the rest of what you say would fall into place, and everything would be tended to.

There would be no centralized government, but rather consisting of technical people who would be advisors of how we could improve current technology that could sustain the Earth and its people in it. We would try to create technology so great that would allow us to populate other planets so we don't have an overpopulation issue. Science would be the ultimate tool of explaining things, which would take religion out of the equation.

however, these technical advisors wouldn't be able to agree on everything, so there would have to be a system in place of deciding the what, who's where's and whens... is that not a govt?

And as far as science vs religion... Being able to believe in something on mere faith, is utopia to many.

Birth control would be carefully enforced, determining it by the current capacity of the Earth and the resources to take care of bringing newborns into this world. I would allow genetic manipulation only if its for the prevention of terrible diseases, such as cancer or another heritable disease.

Who would dictate population settings, who may or may not have kids and when? Would this not in itself, be a form of govt?

The crime rate would be low, due to the fact that most of the crimes are money-based and since money would no longer exist, no major crimes would be reported. And out of those people who commit crimes out of their pure free-will, would be provided with two options: 1.) their own home out of the margins of society, or 2.) Highly capable individuals that could provide therapy for their behavior.

So, now we're adding a judicial system into this govtmentless (I know it's not a word... oh well) society. interesting. hehehe Though, in theory, I do like the concepts. And I must admit, that in some religions (which have been deemed unacceptable or perhaps I should say unnecessary in your utopia) the outcast of criminals is expected... however, who would hold the authority over following though on this. After all, there is no govt, no religion, and everyone is busy making the world a better place to live.

My world would have flawless infrastructure and services, since everything would be run by machines.

The sad part about that, is that our machines have dumbed us down. With cell phones in place, hardly anyone memorizes phone numbers anymore. With GPS systems tell us where to turn, most folks take far more trips to and from a location, before actually learning the route.

That's my vision of a utopia. Of course, there's a lot more I could add to this, but I figure that it would look like an essay rather than a post.

Not bad. It was well thought out, regardless of all my comments.

Thanks for sharing!!

While most of this sounds great, I believe that if we all perused our passions, the rest of what you say would fall into place, and everything would be tended to.

Well, let's put it this way. Let's say that your passion is being an astronaut. Even though you might have a natural skill in it, it would still be wise to develop that skill and to learn the concept of being an astronaut. You cannot just go into space without having some sort of training and understanding of what it entails of going into space.

however, these technical advisors wouldn't be able to agree on everything, so there would have to be a system in place of deciding the what, who's where's and whens... is that not a govt?

Good question.

You see, my definition of a government and what I'm developing here in this fictitious utopia of mine is that the government of today are not elected to solve problems; they are not technicians, they are politicians. Today, if you want, let's say, an automobile to be more economical, you don't go to your politicians to solve the problem, you go to an automobile designer to make a model that would encompass that necessity.

With that said, yes, in this society we will have a group of people that will make decisions, but these people will be highly specialized technicians with lots of experience in their chosen field. Unlike today's government, there would be no one with centralized power(such as a president) but a group of highly intelligent people deciding among what's best for that society.

Furthermore, since society would virtually have no wars and money, we would focus all of our energy in improving the planet and making it as efficient as possible. Today, we have way too much invested in military and financial operations and not enough invested in helping human beings.

And as far as science vs religion... Being able to believe in something on mere faith, is utopia to many.

I would rather not answer this part, because it gets many people quite defensive and is a very sensitive issue. Needless to say that I don't find religion necessary for the improvement of humankind.

Who would dictate population settings, who may or may not have kids and when? Would this not in itself, be a form of govt?

Not necessarily a form of government. Again, in this society everything would be run by machines. As so, computerized systems would tell us an objective estimate of how many people are currently living in the planet. Another system would tell us what the Earth's resources are at the time being. By strategically planning the situation, these computers would tell us exactly if having newborns would be a wise idea. These people, again, would be highly specialized in this field, and as a result, we can be sure that their decisions would be of the utmost concern for the society as a whole.

Once again, there would be no hidden agendas or self-interests in this since there is no money involved and the decisions being made does not rest in one individual holding the power.

So, now we're adding a judicial system into this govtmentless (I know it's not a word... oh well) society. interesting. hehehe Though, in theory, I do like the concepts. And I must admit, that in some religions (which have been deemed unacceptable or perhaps I should say unnecessary in your utopia) the outcast of criminals is expected... however, who would hold the authority over following though on this. After all, there is no govt, no religion, and everyone is busy making the world a better place to live.

Again, the government you and me are talking about are different in terms of power. There would be a committee devoted in sociological concerns(yet, another technical field), and they would be trained in this field as to how it would be best to handle these type of individuals who suffer from some kind of pathology that makes them act in a criminal way.

There would be no judge that condemns them to anything, because the people who are helping him/her are caring for him humanely as best as they can. There is no condemnation, but a relief from their suffering.

The sad part about that, is that our machines have dumbed us down. With cell phones in place, hardly anyone memorizes phone numbers anymore. With GPS systems tell us where to turn, most folks take far more trips to and from a location, before actually learning the route.

I don't really agree with this. Are you saying that technology is detrimental? Do you know how much technology has helped us in overcoming so many obstacles that we used to have in the past? People in the earlier days had to go through so much trouble, they were constantly in environments in which was very hazardous to their health and their overall life. Now many people can enjoy so many things, their life expectancy has increased tremendously in this century. Just look at all of our third world countries, look at all they have to go through just to get potable water and their other basic necessities of life.

To me, technology has been the real savior of our times. I wish I could say the same things about other institutions such as politics or religion.

But again, this is my idealistic utopia. I don't think I would be given that kind of power to make what I have written here into reality. Unfortunately for me, it's just an idealistic fantasy.

Not bad. It was well thought out, regardless of all my comments.

Thanks for sharing!!

And thank you for taking the time to read it and ask questions about it. :)

Reactions: daydreamer
Everyone would have one true friend who accepts them for who they are.

That's something I wish everyone in society had.

Reactions: TomarctusHU and AUM
My Utopian society would be a society in which people stop believing in utopias.

Don't have much time I gotta go to sleep but I think two words can summarize it all: obligation and selflessness.

In the perfect society, individuals would be obligated to do what's right for their people and selflessness would give them the strength to do it.

No such utopia exists for me, nor would I want one to exist.

It's more that utopia implies perfection. Perfection does not, and can not exist. I must always strive for perfection, even knowing that it will never be reached. To reach perfection, means that my life would no longer have any purpose or meaning. Therefore utopia would be meaningless and depressing. I can not have such a thing, nor would I desire it.

I must always strive for perfection, even knowing that it will never be reached.

Life is full of paradoxes, is it not? :D

I'm the same, " I must always strive at seeking the truth, even knowing that I never will."

*sigh*