Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Is your reputation something important?

Does it require much thought/effort?

How does undeserved reputation (good or bad) affect you?

Any other interesting thoughts about reputation?

(These are guide questions only... it's not meant to be a questionnaire... but if you wish to copy/paste/answer that's fine).

Last edited:
* from another thread *
Yes, reputation affects me as it does most people. And I think it should. If you're asking whether reputation stifles me, then I'd say it stifles everyone, however in recent years I've been shedding that. If you're not doing shitty things to people, your behavior is probably okay. The problem with reputation for most people is that they place too much of their ego into it. I don't know where to draw the line exactly, but people conflate reputation with acceptance and approval. You can have a good reputation, but not everyone will like or accept you.
@ruji If people are putting their egos into their reputation, it seems to me that their sense of pride becomes very contingent on some unpredictable factors.

Growing up, most people took pride in their work/achievements... and were the principle judges of the quality of their work: both it's objective quality, and their subjective effort/attention/dedication involved.

Do you think that people are submitting judgement of their accomplishments to others excessively? Is their sense of pride too much subject to the opinion of others? Are people less able, or less willing to objectively recognise their own good work, or have people given up on trying to take pride in their work?

Last edited:
* from another thread *

@ruji If people are putting their egos into their reputation, it seems to me that their sense of pride becomes very contingent on some unpredictable factors.

To clarify, my thoughts were about reputation VS short-term personal concerns with one's image, and how people unconsciously regard them the same.

Last edited:
Yes I believe reputation matters.

4f94ff5f66605b9e3dbe2c6116f98bc4.jpg

You have to work on your reputation. It doesn't come easy. If you want to build a great reputation and you want others to respect you, it takes consistency and hard work. Here is a guideline that I follow.

Practice overcoming hurdles in everyday life
Have a purpose
Accept reality with a positive attitude
Offer constructive criticism but do not complain
Learn how to improvise
Meditate (mindfulness training)
Exercise
Develop an abiding sense of humor
Build strong support networks
Look for role models
Keep your mind flexible
Face your fears
Reframe
Nurture a strong sense of self
Know when to be kind to yourself
Be compassionate
Be honest to others
Be thankful and show gratitude

Trust me I am not always successful following these guidelines but it helps me to see where I am in life and how I am doing. It is a great compass.

Let me give you an example how this works for me. Last year we lost two employees to long term disabilities and it didn't take long for my work environment to become toxic. Co-workers became very negative, started to complain all the time about being overworked and started dreading coming in to work. After a couple of months of this I thought to myself OK I need to take a step back.

The first thing I started to do was meditate because I was feeling stressed out. I also established a regular workout routine so I would feel good about myself. I promised myself I was going to go into work on Monday and not complain, be positive and try to make each person at work laugh at lease once during the week. I was being compassinate to my co-workers because I understood what we were all going through. I accepted my reality and there was nothing we could do about it but make the best of the situation. I started to avoid the people that were always complaining and went to talk to my boss about how I can do things differently and did she have any suggestions to offer me (being honest). It was not an easy time but people started to gravitate towards my positive attitude. I earned a lot of respect from my co-workers and my employers. Late last year a new position opened up and I applied for it and I am happy to say that I start my new role in mid January.

My boss often tells me that it is a joy to work with me because no matter how bad things seem to get, I maintain a positive attitude and I always give my best. I am poud of my reputation but again it is not lucky or accidental. It is hard earned and consistently practiced on a daily basis.

It's not important to me, probably because it's never been an issue. I act in a way that is consistent with how I view myself so my reputation is consistent with that as well. At least as much as I am aware.

No more effort than it takes to blink.

I don't like it when people mention my goodness or talk about me being kind and compassionate. If that happens, which it has, I seek to balance it out by brutally murdering puppies and kittens. That brings my reputation back to the baseline of "blah some dude" because that's how it works. Balance.

Of course. Ones ability to successfully navigate society and the workplace can rely heavily on their reputation. Additionally, children are affected by their parents' reputations so its extra important that I have a positive reputation among the parents of my children's peers so they can be judged by their own worth.

No more thought or effort than I normal exert. I'm very aware of how I don't naturally fit into mainstream society and as such I have cultivated a persona and reputation that allows me to operate at optimal functionality with minimal effort or hiding of my weird self. Plus I'm naturally awesome so that helps.

I am climbing the corporate ladder and reputation can be the tipping factor in getting a promotion or assignment. My reputation will affect which parents allow their kids to invite my kids to hang out. My reputation will affect how the court decides who should be allowed to raise my children.

It is far easier to build up your reputation if you focus your energy on genuinely making yourself a better human rather than simply playing one to earn street cred. A good rep can even allow you to be a harsher individual because it will be perceived as fair vs the same actions done by someone with a bad rep. I mean nobody ever suspects the butterfly...

(These are guide questions only... it's not meant to be a questionnaire... but if you wish to copy/paste/answer that's fine).

980deff8bb8dfd60784c079575f85634.jpg

OK. OK. Flavus Aquila.

We were just having fun.