Your favorite thinkers plus quotes | INFJ Forum

Your favorite thinkers plus quotes

Tom

Jan 19, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I am thinking, wouldn't it be fun to share some of our favorite thinkers, philosophers or just random people, and see what they had to say ?? (Admin please kick my a* if this has been done before)

I'll try and get us started ...

Mark Twain, author

mark.jpeg

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Epictetus, philosopher

epictetus.jpeg

"People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them."

Pope John XXIII

pope.jpeg

"A peaceful man does more good than a learned one."

Hans Kung, author

hans.jpeg

“There's no use casting doubt on (scientific) results with some little problems, as the intelligent-design people or the creationists do. What's there is there. A theologian should not cast doubt on a scientific consensus, but see how he can deal with it.”

Lowell George, musician

lowell.jpeg

"To tell you the truth I can't listen to radio. I'll turn on FM and search constantly for a station that I can listen to from one moment to the next and I can't do it so I always wind up back on KFAC because I know I'm going to be put to sleep."

Reactions: Gaze
shakespeare.jpg

"To thine own self be true."

Mark Twain

google-doodle-mark-twain-301111.jpg
(loved this Google doodle!)

"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."

Billy Connolly

Billy+Connolly.jpg

"Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on!"

Jim Morrison

Jim.jpg

I'm rather partial to Spinoza and Kant. The Greek philosophers are always great to read. Plato sucks though lol.

Dostoevsky.jpg

"Beauty is mysterious as well as terrible. God and devil are fighting there, and the battlefield is the heart of man."
Fyodor Dostoevsky

edgar-allan-poe.jpg

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true."
Edgar Allan Poe

220px-Vladimir-Solovyov.jpg

"As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence. Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do. And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure."
Vladimir Solovyov

Robert Pirsig.jpg

"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling."
Robert Pirsig
"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands."
also from Robert Pirsig

There are more, but I would not fill up the page.

Reactions: Gaze
richard_feynman.jpg

Richard Feynman.

"We can't define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers

Reactions: Radiantshadow