Your exposure to mbti | INFJ Forum

Your exposure to mbti

Deathjam

Busy poking things
Staff member
Tech Admin
I was thinking early the only exposure I've had to mbti type stuff is this forum, with most of you lot from America, is it something you start with in school?

In the UK, at least up north where I'm from, when ever i tell people i admin a infj forum, people just seam to stare at me with a blank expression.

So yea since I have little or no exposure to it, i seam to have bugger all clue as to what most of you talk about. :(

i never heard about it until someone i knew posted their mbti on their facebook then i did a test and joined this forum. for months i had no idea what people were talking about when they wrote "Se" or "Ti" etc., it sounded extremely technical to me.

I first found out about MBTI through my counselor last year, after that I was interested in not only how I worked but also INFJ's (with my counselor being one), which lead me to here.

haha DJ. i just don't understand it. i'm just like, what exactly is Indy talking about here? haha. Se is extraverted sensing right? Ni is introverted intuition? oh now i get it, there must be a pattern where the second letter is an e for extraverted and i for introverted! i just realised that. that's the extent of my knowledge. i used to think intuition was the same as feeling. i identify as infj by the descriptions without actually deeply understanding any of these things.

Some guy on an old forum me and Dove frequented posted a test. We both became quite into it. In rl it's very much our thing though. Nobody else I know knew about it 'till I told them, and out of those I've tested only one guy has become vaguely interested.

yea when ever indy is saying his Ni is going wild or whatever, first thing i think of is monty python

The_leader_of_the_Knights_Who_Say_Ni.jpg

That's Ni for you good sir.

When I was in eighth grade, we went over learning styles in English class, and we didn't really discuss MBTI, but we did discuss the Four Quadrants (NF,NT,SF,ST) in deep detail. We didn't really discuss I vs. E or J vs. P that much though.

yea when ever indy is saying his Ni is going wild or whatever, first thing i think of is monty python

The first time I encountered the concept of the MBTI and a personality assessment was about 2 years ago. My sole "knowledge" of any of it comes from interacting with this forum. So - I don't know diddly about Ni, Se, Te, or any of those letters.

And yeh, I feel the same way when Indy starts talking about his Ni...hahahahahahaha.

:lol:

It was online. I did encounter it in school (post-secondary) much later on, but it wasn't through a means all students would have accessed. Because of the timing, had I not known what it was, I would probably not have paid too much attention to it at that point. It wasn't advertised or widely spoken about by any means. So yes, my experiences with MBTI have been self-motivated.

Last edited:
I remember taking a test about 8 years back whilst roaming around the net and testing as an INTJ. I briefly looked into the MBTI then. Then about a year ago I started to read Jung for fun (yea, I know, nerd) which led me to start reading more about MBTI. I have found the information to be facinating because I love to learn about human nature. I also have taken a side trip and learned about the Enneagram theory.

PS. DJ they may stare at you with a blank expression because of the blood all over your face--you know, from smashing your face into the keyboard all the time....just saying...

Last edited:
I encountered MBTI at some point in my distant past, but then again 15 years ago when I was searching out a career change. Following this I ran into it again about 10 years ago as part of a professional training class.

It's good to have a little bit of self knowledge, but I actually use it for very little beyond this.

Last edited:
I was a psych major in college, and everyone in the program took the test in one of the intro courses. It came up again in a couple other classes.

I do too.
But then again I come across many situations in life that make me think of Monty Python. :fish:

I've found that if I mention the MBTI, I usually just get a blank stare in return.

My first exposure was around 1994 when the small printing company I worked for hired a test administrator to join us one Saturday and give us all the test.
The point behind it was to make us aware of the different personality types, and how to recognize these traits in a customer.
Then adjust your approach in how you deal with them.

About 15 of us took the test, and when the results were tabulated I was the only INFJ in the group.
The administrator seemed surprised to find one, "Really?! an INFJ? Wow! I don't come across that type very often. Less than 5% of the population tests as INFJ."
This made everyone turn and look at me like I was some kind of freak. :gossip:
That's how I felt at the time. I hate being the center of attention!

The years passed and I didn't give it too much thought, but kept it in the back of my mind.
During the Summer of '09, the MBTI test was brought up in a conversation I was having, and I mentioned I was an INFJ or something like that.
So, I went online, took a test and came back INFJ.
I took several different tests on several websites and the result I got most was INFJ. The only other result I would get was INTJ.
So, I started researching it more and found my way here.

Last edited:
Never heard of it until college. Even then it was brief and in the text and not even discussed in class (org. behavor).

I always saw silly stuff on personality tests but it never interested me until I read brief descriptions in my textbook and I had to know what I was, so I went online and took it.

Still nobody I know ever knows what I'm talking about when I say INFJ.

I was actually working at a temp job. I'd heard a bit about MBTI when I was in my very early 20s, and I was curious about it. I'd tried a few other typing programs, but I'd always been MBTI-curious.

The temp job had the full MBTI test, and a testing agent to administer it (I worked at a career service center for businesses). Although since I was a temp I couldn't discuss my results, it came up as INTJ. I investigated INTJ and looked into the groups and although I found similarities I saw some really sharp differences (mainly the feeling aspect, and how they interpreted certain situations). So although it almost felt comfortable, it didn't quite make it.

But at the same time I also investigated the INFJ group at the time (yahoo group), and I thought, "what a bunch of crybabies and whiners" (seriously! sorry, folks!). There's another long story of discovery, but suffice it to say my first intro into typing was about 20 years ago.

Hmmm I did some form of this test first during high school for admissions to some other school when we had to complete a whole battery of test from several iq to several personality ones. I didn't thought of it much at that time because the person who was supposed to talk to us about them was our high school psychologist who was an idiot to say at least. Then some time ago I started looking for a job, and at several places they administered those test as well some iq ones, and at one place they treated me like I'm some form of alien species after taking that test, so I had to look into it. This somehow coincided with a very rough patch in my life, when I was trying to understand how I could find myself in a situation in which I was at that time, and this helped me a lot. It gave context and meaning to some of my decisions, to my behaviour that was instinctive and natural to me, but was treated as wrong by others.

So, yea, thank you funny people, and mayer and brigs, and jung of course, and you ignorant people who thought that I was from another planet, for helping me be where I am now.

Reactions: Jana
I was taking some psychology courses my freshman year of college, and it got covered in three different classes.

I went to the career counseling center my freshman year of college and they administered the test. I got INFP then.
I forgot about it. Years later I started dating some guy who after months of not opening up to me I finally said, "I'd like to know you better" and he told me he was an INTJ. I had no idea what that meant so I looked it up and got curious myself and then... I joined this forum.. as after taking an online test I got INFJ.

Most people don't know what it is if I mention it to them. Those who I have had conversations with about mbti knew about it from taking the test for a job or a counselor of some sort.
I never heard about it in any class.

Last edited: