Your ESTP shadow. | INFJ Forum

Your ESTP shadow.

This

Banned
Oct 16, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
I personally have some flirtations with my ESTP shadow side from time to time, (Which I'm sure it loves, because it loves to flirt ;) ) I'm curious if any other INFJs have slipped into some of these behaviors when under a lot of stress some of the ones listed at the bottom I can relate to when I'm in those phases, some I can't but I haven't heard much talk about this here so I thought it would be interesting to see what behavior others have adopted when in this shadow state.

When I am in these states I become pretty extroverted but in an artificial kind of way, It's almost as if my body goes into auto pilot and I stop thinking about what I'm doing and just do it. Like say I'm engaging in small talk with someone, I will say what I say and communicate with subtle body language without thinking about it, it's just automatic like I'm just in there in an empty vessel spouting what I know will get the job done.

Also in these phases money becomes completely worthless and trivial in my perception just worthless pieces of paper that I can throw at whatever impulse I find compelling at the time.

Some addictions also crop up in these phases and I also gain an overwhelming work ethic during these times interestingly.

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

-acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through

-doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising

-being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything

-being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning

-acting in a very materialistic and selfish way

-cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values

Citation: http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/myers-briggs/infj.htm

So have you guys ever experienced your ESTP side?

Reactions: Sandie33
It's definitely been out and about quite a bit in the past few months.

ESTP shadow still sounds like a less of a nightmare than having an ESTJ shadow following you around..

Very intimately in fact. Taken it out to dinner, flirted with it and had sex with it...

Oh, so that's what it is? I just thought I had a sort of strange dualistic personality where I'd flip between extremes.

I go into shadow mode a LOT. I would almost say that I am in shadow more often than not. Now that I know what it is maybe I can tame myself a bit.

Yea, and it always makes me laugh afterwards. Like, damn dude you went totally psycho for a minute there. Like I just tried speedballing for the first time.

Funny you posted this, as I've been thinking about these things often lately...

I am thoroughly acquainted with my shadow self, and the negative ESTP traits describe her quite well, lol! In social situations I become an outrageous, flirtatious extrovert and react impulsively. It's my autopilot function when I'm around large groups of strangers and I feel uncomfortable in my own skin.

I'm usually a hoarder when it comes to money, and when I spend it, it's usually on others. I do have my moments where I'll spend too much on stuff for myself, but I am most selfish about the way I spend my time.

I had some of those traits come out at work for awhile also (the impulsiveness, being hypercritical and obsessed over trivial little shit, and cutting corners crap); too many deadlines, not enough time to do the perfect job I wanted to do. My shadow girl is very exhausting and definitely doesn't make the best choices.

Interestingly enough, my husband tests as ESTP... so his shadow would be negative INFJ. Scary!

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

-being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning

-cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values

Wow, I relate to all that list when I'm unhealthy. Like right now. Especially that about acting impulsively, I still can't account for that.

I personally have some flirtations with my ESTP shadow side from time to time, (Which I'm sure it loves, because it loves to flirt ;) ) I'm curious if any other INFJs have slipped into some of these behaviors when under a lot of stress some of the ones listed at the bottom I can relate to when I'm in those phases, some I can't but I haven't heard much talk about this here so I thought it would be interesting to see what behavior others have adopted when in this shadow state.

When I am in these states I become pretty extroverted but in an artificial kind of way, It's almost as if my body goes into auto pilot and I stop thinking about what I'm doing and just do it. Like say I'm engaging in small talk with someone, I will say what I say and communicate with subtle body language without thinking about it, it's just automatic like I'm just in there in an empty vessel spouting what I know will get the job done.

Also in these phases money becomes completely worthless and trivial in my perception just worthless pieces of paper that I can throw at whatever impulse I find compelling at the time.

Some addictions also crop up in these phases and I also gain an overwhelming work ethic during these times interestingly.

Citation: http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/myers-briggs/infj.htm

I find balance in not always being a goody goody...

No really I think it is fun to be impulsive from time to time... and breaking silly rules it's a must!!:mhula::mhula::mhula:

I've experienced the full extent of the ESTP shadow and have done things I never imagined I'd do. I think I might be shadowing again....

Check.

Definitely check.

I am always critical.

I don't really understand what this means..
Would this be like... turning on and off the light switch 85 times before leaving a room? Because I don't do things like that.
Examples??

Check.

Check..

I just want to remind you guys that your "shadow" functions would be that of an ENFP, not an ESTP.

Ni -> Ne
Fe -> Fi
Ti -> Te
Se -> Si

I just want to remind you guys that your "shadow" functions would be that of an ENFP, not an ESTP.

Ni -> Ne
Fe -> Fi
Ti -> Te
Se -> Si

No.
According to beebee's shadow theory it's more like Ni -> Si, Ne -> Se, etc.
But i don't really agree with it anyways

The "INFJ shadow" is them becoming more Ti/Se-like in an unhealthy way, hence the impulsivity, materialism, etc.

Well, as long as we're being anal about terminology: it should be "INFJ Shadow". "ESTP Shadow" would imply the INFJ part of ESTP. Regardless of which, an unhealthy INFJ could never be confused for a healthy ESTP and vice versa. It's more like "INFJ segueing into batshit insane territory", something I'm thoroughly familiar with from my brief flirtation with INFJs on other forums.

On topic:

-acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through [Yes, and I strive to do this more often.]

-doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising [All of the time.]

-being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything [I just demonstrated this above.]

-being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning [All of the time.]

-acting in a very materialistic and selfish way [All of the time.]

-cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values [Sometimes.]
I don't think these are unhealthy characteristics necessarily.

Well, as long as we're being anal about terminology: it should be "INFJ Shadow". "ESTP Shadow" would imply the INFJ part of ESTP. Regardless of which, an unhealthy INFJ could never be confused for a healthy ESTP and vice versa. It's more like "INFJ segueing into batshit insane territory", something I'm thoroughly familiar with from my brief flirtation with INFJs on other forums.

On topic:

I don't think these are unhealthy characteristics necessarily.

Not really, because it's the ESTP Shadow of the INFJ. ESTP describes the shadow. ESTP's shadow or Shadow of the ESTP (starring Harrison Ford) would be about the ESTP.

Perhaps I could have worded myself a bit better. For clarity here is what is said about an ESTP slipping into their negative INFJ "form" I guess you could say.

From the same site:

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the ESTP's shadow may appear - a negative form of INFJ. Example characteristics are:

-going quiet or withdrawing from people

-having a gloomy view of the future

-having intense negative feelings towards others, which may be openly expressed

-ceasing to adapt to changing circumstances

like, i say yes to all of these but ..............................................

when i was in an estp mode i stole a masserati and then used it to rob a bank and then used that money to gamble to a million bajillion dollars with which i paid back the bank and car dealership and then spent every last penny except for $1.02 paying the courts to not send me to jail thne when i went to taco bell to spend my last amount on a taco with fire ol