You have five years left to live... | INFJ Forum

You have five years left to live...

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
You have just contracted a rare, but noncontagious disease, which will kill you immediately 5 years from today. There is no cure and no hope for creating a cure for the next 100 years. You will not get sick before you die, you will just keel over in 1,826 days. You have this knowledge and nobody else in the world does.

What will you do with the rest of your life?
Will the way you live change?
Will you tell people that you are going to die or just live with the secret?
What goals will you have to accomplish before you die?

Why not go with 2 and a half years, and align with the 2012 craze?

1. I want people to think the world will be here after they are gone.
2. I want it to be a significant length of time so that they feel they can actually accomplish something if they so choose to do so.

I will live every moment like a day. This is best constructive and creative way to spend life.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Find a noble cause and where I completely hate the opponent I'd be up against, spend my time bring out as much of their shaddy business as possible.
a lot of shit does not get revealed because people know they will be ruined by it, if I'm dead anyway may as well take it up so something can be done.
Plus, I suppose it will make use of some of my bitterness over the fact that I will be dying soon.
:m122:

Reactions: #@&5&49 and Roger
Find a noble cause and where I completely hate the opponent I'd be up against, spend my time bring out as much of their shaddy business as possible.
a lot of shit does not get revealed because people know they will be ruined by it, if I'm dead anyway may as well take it up so something can be done.
Plus, I suppose it will make use of some of my bitterness over the fact that I will be dying soon.
:m122:

Idea sounds. +10

You have just contracted a rare, but noncontagious disease, which will kill you immediately 5 years from today. There is no cure and no hope for creating a cure for the next 100 years. You will not get sick before you die, you will just keel over in 1,826 days. You have this knowledge and nobody else in the world does.

Well, I'd go ahead and drop out and get my GED. It's not like I'm going to need schooling to help with my career or anything.
Then, I would start traveling. I have so much left to see before I die!
I would get married and bring this person on all of my adventures for the next five years. Hopefully they'd be up for it.
I'd have a child, if at all possible. Maybe not. Would it be selfish to have a kid knowing they'd have to grow up without you?
I'd write a book about everything I did for those last five years, and have it published right after I die. Everything I'd make off of it would go half to my husband and my (maybe) child, and the other half to my parents.
AH, there's so much more I'd do, but I just can't think of it right now.

1. I want people to think the world will be here after they are gone.
2. I want it to be a significant length of time so that they feel they can actually accomplish something if they so choose to do so.
But remember, even in this case they didn't choose it; they were influenced by the circumstances. (your interference)

I would tell everybody, and I would continue what I'm doing.

My goals would remain the same: astronomy, space science, and exploration.

:)

I honestly don't know. I'm not fair enough along in life to have a significant other, no children, no carrier yet either. I couldn't marry someone and have a child only to leave them behind when I die. That would be the worst thing I could do.

Hmmm I don't have a lot of money either. At this time I couldn't do what I really wanted.

1. Quit work. But before I go I'll steal a big bag of candy from the bunk bins and have a party in the back. Byob situation. May involve my work friend getting naked and running around shooting people with a fire hydrant because he's been looking for an excuse to do that for 2 years.
2. I don't WANT to but I'll tell my parents, really not easy keeping something like that from them either. Luckily I don't have much in the way of documents and assets so "preparing for the end" won't be hard. I just give them all my papers and all my stuff at the end.
3. I will not tell anyone else as far as I can get away with. I'm not close to my family and my friends will either feel really awful for it or try and convince me to start a marijuana grow op.
4. Finish setting up my trading account and start growing the savings I do have.
5. Spend as much time as possible with Chaz, every waking moment.
6. Wish that the whole "Ghola" thing in DUNE was real cause then I'd just have myself cloned after my death then get my memories awakened when I'm about 15ish.
7. Work on learning to draw and paint better, and make lots of stuff. When I die it'll be worth a lot more, LOL.
8. Given away my belongings to Chaz, family and friends, sell the rest and give leftovers to charity, or junk em.
9. Near the end, take what money I have and give part to Chaz, and set up a trust fund for my little one. (whom I do not raise)

Thats about it, not too grand. I don't think even death would make me terrible motivated, I think it'll actually make me lazier.

All I would do is cancel most of my long term goals since I wont have time for them. I'm not sure what I would do then really. I'd probably just try to do some traveling to see the world.

I would probably finally go off to some remote wilderness with little or no possesions and live like a hermit.

I would

• Quit school
  • Quit work
  • Become the ultimate hedonist or, indulge in every emotion and sensation without restraint
  • I would stop being so incredibly inhibited and shy
  • Spend time with people I love
I would live in the present. I wouldn't worry about any causes since the world doesn't need me to save it. I would suck the marrow of life dry for myself. I would be utterly selfish, but not in a shitty way. I'd just do and feel and be exactly what I felt like.

I would

• Quit school
  • Quit work
  • Become the ultimate hedonist or, indulge in every emotion and sensation without restraint
  • I would stop being so incredibly inhibited and shy
  • Spend time with people I love
I would live in the present. I wouldn't worry about any causes since the world doesn't need me to save it. I would suck the marrow of life dry for myself. I would be utterly selfish, but not in a shitty way. I'd just do and feel and be exactly what I felt like.

This.

I would probably finally go off to some remote wilderness with little or no possesions and live like a hermit.

One of my old roommates actually did this after failing out of his sophomore year of college. He was a rock climber and survivalist. His mother freaked out when she found out he took off. Ironically he found a girlfriend while he was out in the California wilderness.

I'd take on some major spring cleaning. And try to take care of as much financial stuff as I could. I'd still pursue another degree, finish in 4 years. I wouldn't tell my family because i wouldn't want the sympathy or pity. I'd probably quit my job if i could, and take it easy. I'd probably try to travel to at least two places - visit my home country, and two other places i've been wanting to visit, but stay at home, or go to the country for the last few months. I'd have my favorite songs playing until that last moment.

Last edited:
*I don't know if I'd finish school or not. I would probably work for a year to save up for the next four. I'd continue learning as much as I could during this time. I'd probably go back to the refugee center and teach a few more ESL classes. While I'm still alive I might as well help other people. I'll be no use to them when I'm dead. I'd probably find a cause I really care about and devote a year to it. I'd ignore everything that is holding me back right now and just jump in. I'd get the band back together for a few last shows. I wouldn't run out looking to marry someone.

If I was in a relationship, I'd have a serious discussion with the person. Depending on what they want from the relationship and life, I'd go from there. If we were in love and they wanted to, I'd get married. I'd avoid having kids, because no child deserves to live without a parent. I'd also make it perfectly clear that I'd want my significant other to find someone else in life if that's what they want.

I'd spend the next two years traveling the world. I'd want to meet as many people as possible and experience everything I could. I'd want to make as many connections and learn as much as possible from other cultures.

The last year would be spent with my family and friends. The last 48 hours I'd go off somewhere to be alone (or if I was in a relationship, with my SO if they wanted to be there). The last day I'd watch the sunset, smoke a joint, and stay awake until the last second.
Yes. I'd quit living like I have a future, and instead enjoy every second.
I'd tell my family and group of friends. No one else would need to know. The people close to me deserve to know so they can prepare and tie up loose ends, but no sense worrying people who have no real investment in me
What I set out in the first paragraph.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I did an assignment about this once, so I've put a lot of thought into it. Interesting how it puts your life into prespective, and makes you realize your priorities.
Anyway,
I would tie up some loose ends that I'm faced with right now, and tell my mom, becauce she'd be detached enough to take it well and not overreact, but caring enough to give me advice. I know she'd keep the secret well enough to let it last a long time.
I'm at a great place in my life where I don't have any payments to make, so this year I would devote my time to do volunteer work and save some money.
I don't think I'd still go to college, since I've always had sort of a vision that I'd eventually detach my life from our society's structure.
After spending time with my family at Christmas, I would announce that I would be spening the next year travelling. I wouldn't tell them my situation, because there would be too many contrasting reactions and opinions to deal with. I don't know where I'd go for sure, but just take it one destination at a time.
My life for that year (or so, depending on what happens) would be devoted to seeing the world and having an adventure. I'd help anyone along the way that needed it, and take tons of pictures. I guess kind of like a modern day Johnny Appleseed. I'd spend the next 3 years back at home reflecting, writing, and creating, saving as much of myself for the future as possible in case anyone was interested. I would probably try to learn an instrument. I'd let the rest of my immediate family in on the secret when appropriate. Not too far into my last year, I'd let my family know. It would spread like wildfire, but it would be OK, since by then I'd have hopefully prepared myself.
I'd spend the last year of my life with my family as much as possible. I'd also prepare a letter and a gift for each of my family members and close friends, letting them konw how much they meant to me, let them know what memories we shared and what secrets I always wanted to share with them (but I'd still take most of them to the grave, I'm sure.) After that, I'd give away all that I had, and then I'd be ready to pass on.

I would drop out of college, and run away to Texas to be with my Friend/Ex and just enjoy chillin'.
Perhaps pick up the guitar again, go to a concert, and meet lots of cool people.

I will lively more freely, peacefully, confidently, and pray every day. I would help out anyone
I'd meet across my remaining lifespan.

I'd keep it a secret and just be happy.

Pray more, help people, and enjoy being alive.