Yet Another INFJ/INFP Dilemma | INFJ Forum

Yet Another INFJ/INFP Dilemma

Dec 5, 2014
MBTI
Unsure
Hey everyone,

So I am yet another person on a quest to determine whether I’m an INFJ or INFP on the MBTI. I’ve tested as both, and I find most online comparisons of Ni/Ne and Fi/Fe to be very vague and ambiguous, so that hasn’t been determinative either. So, as a sort of “last resort,” I’m going to lay out the way in which my intuiting and feeling functions seem to manifest in the real world, and let you judge my type.

Intuition: Unless I’m totally exhausted or totally absorbed in an experience (which can be a difficult but satisfying state to attain for me), my mind is constantly running. I view everything as interconnected, as parts of one integrated whole. My vision of this whole is a constant work in progress, which I’m always revising. As I take in new information, I’m constantly (and often unconsciously) comparing it to the information I already have, looking for connections and places where I can fit the new information in. As a result, I have these sudden flashes of insight where I’ll make connections between pieces of information that might initially appear unrelated. I have a tendency to keep these insights to myself at first, although I will sometimes share them with the people I’m comfortable with. When I do, these friends are often amazed at my insights. I do enjoy a good intellectual discussion, though, and occasionally, when I’m comfortable enough with certain intellectual conversation partners, I can get deep enough into the conversation where I’ll have these insights in the midst of discussion. Usually, they tend to come more within the realm of my own thoughts, however. I can spend hours lost in thought mentally exploring a given topic. I can also think quite analytically, evaluating the logical coherence of my ideas. My mind is perhaps best compared to a giant workshop, where I’m constantly tinkering with ideas.

Feeling: This is where things get messy. I would generally characterize myself as sensitive and empathetic in my relationships with others. I tend to be very sensitive to others’ emotional expressions, and to experience these emotions as my own. If I see someone crying, chances are I’ll cry. Times when I’ve seen others in suffering can haunt me for years. In general, I tend to feel emotions strongly, and have difficulty hiding my emotions from others. In the past, this has created a perverse paradox where I’ll have an emotional outburst that’s disruptive to others’ emotions, and then feel a profound sense of guilt for doing so because of the same sensitivity. I’ve had to learn a lot of self-control in restraining my emotions over the years.
At the same time, I consider myself to be very much a person of strongly held ethics, and very much a perfectionist. I have a vision of how the world should be, and work to implement it, though I usually do so through diplomacy and influence, choosing my battles carefully. At times, I feel that I can compromise too much for the sake of diplomacy. I do have certain hot-button ethical issues, however, which can trigger intense emotional reactions. I’ve come to realize that these emotions are mostly linked to seeing either my self or others suffering in the past. The anger or sadness I feel because of the perceived ethical violation in front of me actually comes from the experience of seeing someone hurt by the same behavior months or years ago.
As a result of all this, I tend to be perceived as very caring and nurturing of others, and I often naturally gravitate toward one-on-one mentorship roles in the lives of people who are my age or younger. I’ve even been described as “fatherly” by people only a few years younger than me. I tend to try to keep a balance between listening and giving advice in such relationships. The secret, “dark side” of this is that I have a strong desire to control others’ behavior, which I’ll often have to either suppress for the sake of best caring for the other person or reconcile with the fact that ultimately people make their decisions. It’s an odd combination of wanting what’s best for people and wanting to hold them to high standards while realizing that often a light touch is what they need the most.

Well, that was an essay of a post. So, what do you think?

As a result, I have these sudden flashes of insight where I’ll make connections between pieces of information that might initially appear unrelated. I have a tendency to keep these insights to myself at first, although I will sometimes share them with the people I’m comfortable with. When I do, these friends are often amazed at my insights. I do enjoy a good intellectual discussion, though, and occasionally, when I’m comfortable enough with certain intellectual conversation partners, I can get deep enough into the conversation where I’ll have these insights in the midst of discussion. Usually, they tend to come more within the realm of my own thoughts, however. I can spend hours lost in thought mentally exploring a given topic. I can also think quite analytically, evaluating the logical coherence of my ideas. My mind is perhaps best compared to a giant workshop, where I’m constantly tinkering with ideas.

Bolded is Ne preference.

You also value Fe over Fi.

Have you considered ISFJ or ESFJ?

So I am yet another person on a quest to determine whether I’m an INFJ or INFP on the MBTI. I’ve tested as both, and I find most online comparisons of Ni/Ne and Fi/Fe to be very vague and ambiguous, so that hasn’t been determinative either. So, as a sort of “last resort,” I’m going to lay out the way in which my intuiting and feeling functions seem to manifest in the real world, and let you judge my type.

Hmmm... I think, like [MENTION=9859]Switchgirl[/MENTION], I feel like this has elements of Ne and Fe. I have a few questions that may help... But first, do you have an opinion on whether you really are an Introvert or not? I think the initial I/E question is the easiest to answer. I'm going to assume that since you test as either INFJ or INFP that you're probably a definite introvert, but I figured I'd ask.

Intuition: Unless I’m totally exhausted or totally absorbed in an experience (which can be a difficult but satisfying state to attain for me), my mind is constantly running. I view everything as interconnected, as parts of one integrated whole. My vision of this whole is a constant work in progress, which I’m always revising.

Do you mean to say that you are always revising your vision, or that you are you trying to revise how you view it? I think the difference is either an active process of trying to build a catalog of what's going on, or passively accepting that things are going on and just watching them without the interest in building anything.

As I take in new information, I’m constantly (and often unconsciously) comparing it to the information I already have, looking for connections and places where I can fit the new information in. As a result, I have these sudden flashes of insight where I’ll make connections between pieces of information that might initially appear unrelated.

How do you feel about these flashes? Are they glorious moments of sudden understanding, or are they more frustrating than anything else in that they reveal more of what you don't know?

I have a tendency to keep these insights to myself at first, although I will sometimes share them with the people I’m comfortable with. When I do, these friends are often amazed at my insights. I do enjoy a good intellectual discussion, though, and occasionally, when I’m comfortable enough with certain intellectual conversation partners, I can get deep enough into the conversation where I’ll have these insights in the midst of discussion.

When you share them with friends, do you expect them to agree 100% or are you interested in their perspective as well? Also, how do you know they are amazed at your insights? Do they tell you so, or do you get a feel from the conversation that your insight has helped them gain insight as well?

Usually, they tend to come more within the realm of my own thoughts, however. I can spend hours lost in thought mentally exploring a given topic. I can also think quite analytically, evaluating the logical coherence of my ideas. My mind is perhaps best compared to a giant workshop, where I’m constantly tinkering with ideas.

Ok. Like my question earlier about the vision, a "workshop" implies you are building something out of the thought exploration, is that right? Or is it more or less this process you can't control and really don't understand much, like a workshop where you have no idea what everyone's role is or what they heck they are making?

Feeling: This is where things get messy.

Haha! Always.

I would generally characterize myself as sensitive and empathetic in my relationships with others. I tend to be very sensitive to others’ emotional expressions, and to experience these emotions as my own. If I see someone crying, chances are I’ll cry. Times when I’ve seen others in suffering can haunt me for years.

In times when someone has a strong emotion and you feel yourself mirroring it, do you think your own emotional response is due to their situation and sympathizing with it, or do you think it is merely an automatic response to anyone displaying strong emotions? Do you have an urge to try to help them? If so, do you help more by trying to understand and fix or the situation (or simply help them look at the situation in a different way) or more by just trying to defuse the emotion with kindness and comfort that does not address whatever is wrong?

In general, I tend to feel emotions strongly, and have difficulty hiding my emotions from others. In the past, this has created a perverse paradox where I’ll have an emotional outburst that’s disruptive to others’ emotions, and then feel a profound sense of guilt for doing so because of the same sensitivity. I’ve had to learn a lot of self-control in restraining my emotions over the years.

Hmm... Ok, interesting. I guess one question here would be the paradox of the one above. When you are suffering and someone attempts to help you, would you rather they try to understand and help you fix the situation, or would you rather they comfort you to help you defuse your emotions?

At the same time, I consider myself to be very much a person of strongly held ethics, and very much a perfectionist. I have a vision of how the world should be, and work to implement it, though I usually do so through diplomacy and influence, choosing my battles carefully. At times, I feel that I can compromise too much for the sake of diplomacy. I do have certain hot-button ethical issues, however, which can trigger intense emotional reactions. I’ve come to realize that these emotions are mostly linked to seeing either my self or others suffering in the past. The anger or sadness I feel because of the perceived ethical violation in front of me actually comes from the experience of seeing someone hurt by the same behavior months or years ago.

Hmm Hmm... One question, when you are in a discussion involving a hot-button ethical issue, are you able to cognate the point of view of the person who disagrees with you? In other words, despite your emotional reaction are you still aware that in their point of view the ethical structure is just different? Or, do you more suspect that those who disagree with you on these issues do so because of some deficiency in their own life, either immaturity or laziness or greed, etc.

As a result of all this, I tend to be perceived as very caring and nurturing of others, and I often naturally gravitate toward one-on-one mentorship roles in the lives of people who are my age or younger. I’ve even been described as “fatherly” by people only a few years younger than me. I tend to try to keep a balance between listening and giving advice in such relationships.

Hmm... How do you know how you are perceived? Is it because you've been told this, or because you see how others act towards you? Also, is this stature a source of personal pride, or is it just a natural aspect of yourself no better or worse than aspects of other people?

The secret, “dark side” of this is that I have a strong desire to control others’ behavior, which I’ll often have to either suppress for the sake of best caring for the other person or reconcile with the fact that ultimately people make their decisions. It’s an odd combination of wanting what’s best for people and wanting to hold them to high standards while realizing that often a light touch is what they need the most.

Hmm hmm... That sounds very authentic and self-aware that you can cognate your "dark side" so well. How comfortable are you with the "reconciliation" about other people's decisions? Does coming to that conclusion haunt you in a similar way as seeing someone suffering does? Or are you able to easily accept, once you make this decision, that you can't help this person for whatever reason and you allow them to do what they do, even if it is bad for them?

It's a real puzzle, from the descriptions you gave. Maybe you really are on the fence between two MBTI types. I've heard others claim that before. Or maybe you are in transition between one and the other due to life changes... You do seem to have a very interesting, non-cut-and-dry personality, whether you take that as a complement or not!

I know it's been said a bit already around the forum, but it just seems like INFJs and INFPs are so different yet somehow they are being easily mixed up and it's confusing the hell out of me.

Granted, I originally mis-typed as INFJ because I was radically using different functions at that point in my life when I tested, so perhaps it is not so strange after all...

ESFJ, maybe ISFJ. Lots of emphasis on people, relationships, "work", "ethics", duty, it seems to convey a self image of being grounded, reliable, and at service to your people, and that fits better with Fe + Si.

Thank you all for the responses. I can say without a doubt that I'm indeed an N. Both times I've taken an MBTI test, I've scored off the charts as N, and when I hear the iNtuition function described, it fits for me to a T.

Dave Fallon, since you put so much work into your post, I'll reply to you individually:

Hmmm... I think, like [MENTION=9859]Switchgirl[/MENTION], I feel like this has elements of Ne and Fe. I have a few questions that may help... But first, do you have an opinion on whether you really are an Introvert or not? I think the initial I/E question is the easiest to answer. I'm going to assume that since you test as either INFJ or INFP that you're probably a definite introvert, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm definitely an introvert. Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Do you mean to say that you are always revising your vision, or that you are you trying to revise how you view it? I think the difference is either an active process of trying to build a catalog of what's going on, or passively accepting that things are going on and just watching them without the interest in building anything.

Definitely the former. While there is an involuntary aspect to the insights that come to me, I'm always active in fleshing them out and seeing how they fit in with what I already think.

How do you feel about these flashes? Are they glorious moments of sudden understanding, or are they more frustrating than anything else in that they reveal more of what you don't know?

Glorious moments of sudden understanding. Although they can be flashes of understanding about how much I don't know. ;)

When you share them with friends, do you expect them to agree 100% or are you interested in their perspective as well? Also, how do you know they are amazed at your insights? Do they tell you so, or do you get a feel from the conversation that your insight has helped them gain insight as well?

I'm interested in their perspective for sure. When I share ideas, I want feedback. They usually tell me they're amazed, although it can show up in their actions too.

Ok. Like my question earlier about the vision, a "workshop" implies you are building something out of the thought exploration, is that right? Or is it more or less this process you can't control and really don't understand much, like a workshop where you have no idea what everyone's role is or what they heck they are making?[/QUoTE}

I guess the best analogy is that the raw materials come through an uncontrolled process, which I then actively craft into a structure of ideas.

In times when someone has a strong emotion and you feel yourself mirroring it, do you think your own emotional response is due to their situation and sympathizing with it, or do you think it is merely an automatic response to anyone displaying strong emotions? Do you have an urge to try to help them? If so, do you help more by trying to understand and fix or the situation (or simply help them look at the situation in a different way) or more by just trying to defuse the emotion with kindness and comfort that does not address whatever is wrong?

Automatic by and large, although if I have past emotional ties to the person's type of suffering, it can increase the effect. I definitely have an urge. With regards to that last question, I guess both? Ideally, you comfort and calm people, and if you can offer actual help, you do so.

Hmm... Ok, interesting. I guess one question here would be the paradox of the one above. When you are suffering and someone attempts to help you, would you rather they try to understand and help you fix the situation, or would you rather they comfort you to help you defuse your emotions?

Same answer for this one. Preferably the latter before the former.

Hmm Hmm... One question, when you are in a discussion involving a hot-button ethical issue, are you able to cognate the point of view of the person who disagrees with you? In other words, despite your emotional reaction are you still aware that in their point of view the ethical structure is just different? Or, do you more suspect that those who disagree with you on these issues do so because of some deficiency in their own life, either immaturity or laziness or greed, etc.

I'm tempted to do the latter, but make an effort to do the former. (Sorry if the former/latter language is getting repetitive here!)

Hmm... How do you know how you are perceived? Is it because you've been told this, or because you see how others act towards you? Also, is this stature a source of personal pride, or is it just a natural aspect of yourself no better or worse than aspects of other people?

Both because of what people have said and how they act. It does feel good to be valued by others, of course, but I try not to translate that into viewing myself as better than others.

Hmm hmm... That sounds very authentic and self-aware that you can cognate your "dark side" so well. How comfortable are you with the "reconciliation" about other people's decisions? Does coming to that conclusion haunt you in a similar way as seeing someone suffering does? Or are you able to easily accept, once you make this decision, that you can't help this person for whatever reason and you allow them to do what they do, even if it is bad for them?

It can definitely haunt me. I hate it when people make decisions that hurt them. I've been learning to let it go, but it doesn't come naturally.

It's a real puzzle, from the descriptions you gave. Maybe you really are on the fence between two MBTI types. I've heard others claim that before. Or maybe you are in transition between one and the other due to life changes... You do seem to have a very interesting, non-cut-and-dry personality, whether you take that as a complement or not!

Thanks! I've definitely take that as a compliment. :)

I'm sorry I hadn't replied earlier, but I wanted to think about this before answering. In a way, I wish [MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION] was here, as she is much better at this. But here goes my opinion, with the usual caveat that I can only guess since I only have this forum and don't know you personally, let alone have access to your personal thoughts and feelings.

I believe you are an INFP. I think it is pretty clear that you are Ne, but upon reflection I think I now respectfully disagree with [MENTION=9859]Switchgirl[/MENTION] about your F. I think it is a dominant Fi, obscured by the fact that you are an introvert at heart (in introverts, the dominant function is harder to see from the outside since we tend to hide them, so sometimes the secondary function is clearer than the dominant). Fi does not mean someone is cold or hides their feelings, just that they tend to be more self-reliant and better able to help others than Fe. I think you may be somewhat of a HSP, which might explain a little of the messiness you described, and you probably have a very well-developed Fi, which is why others see you as a father figure.

Again, I may be wrong. I feel like INFJ types are often colder-looking from without, since they are less in touch with their own feelings and unsure how best to express or explain themselves.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: sassafras
If you feel like your N is absolutely not in question, then in my opinion, you sound like an INFP. The emphasis on your empathy, ethics and how strongly you feel for others suggest Fi, which further compliments your 'workshop of the mind' and 'structure of ideas' that points to Te being somewhere in your stack.

Hey everyone,

Intuition: Unless I’m totally exhausted or totally absorbed in an experience (which can be a difficult but satisfying state to attain for me), my mind is constantly running. I view everything as interconnected, as parts of one integrated whole. My vision of this whole is a constant work in progress, which I’m always revising. As I take in new information, I’m constantly (and often unconsciously) comparing it to the information I already have, looking for connections and places where I can fit the new information in. As a result, I have these sudden flashes of insight where I’ll make connections between pieces of information that might initially appear unrelated. I have a tendency to keep these insights to myself at first, although I will sometimes share them with the people I’m comfortable with. When I do, these friends are often amazed at my insights. I do enjoy a good intellectual discussion, though, and occasionally, when I’m comfortable enough with certain intellectual conversation partners, I can get deep enough into the conversation where I’ll have these insights in the midst of discussion. Usually, they tend to come more within the realm of my own thoughts, however. I can spend hours lost in thought mentally exploring a given topic. I can also think quite analytically, evaluating the logical coherence of my ideas. My mind is perhaps best compared to a giant workshop, where I’m constantly tinkering with ideas.

Feeling: This is where things get messy. I would generally characterize myself as sensitive and empathetic in my relationships with others. I tend to be very sensitive to others’ emotional expressions, and to experience these emotions as my own. If I see someone crying, chances are I’ll cry. Times when I’ve seen others in suffering can haunt me for years. In general, I tend to feel emotions strongly, and have difficulty hiding my emotions from others. In the past, this has created a perverse paradox where I’ll have an emotional outburst that’s disruptive to others’ emotions, and then feel a profound sense of guilt for doing so because of the same sensitivity. I’ve had to learn a lot of self-control in restraining my emotions over the years.
As a result of all this, I tend to be perceived as very caring and nurturing of others, and I often naturally gravitate toward one-on-one mentorship roles in the lives of people who are my age or younger. I’ve even been described as “fatherly” by people only a few years younger than me. I tend to try to keep a balance between listening and giving advice in such relationships. The secret, “dark side” of this is that I have a strong desire to control others’ behavior, which I’ll often have to either suppress for the sake of best caring for the other person or reconcile with the fact that ultimately people make their decisions. It’s an odd combination of wanting what’s best for people and wanting to hold them to high standards while realizing that often a light touch is what they need the most.

I have the same deli-ma I test both. I think I might be infp though. It really seems to sit better with my real personality at my core. The person I really am when I am not shut down. The opening up of myself began with self healing and awareness. It will take time to get yourself figured out. I plan on retesting in a few months...

ENFJ. Fe>Ni.

To clarify, I could live without feelings. I cannot live without my mind.