Xena, Hercules, Stargate, etc. | INFJ Forum

Xena, Hercules, Stargate, etc.

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I miss these fantasy and sci-shows. They had a quality about them which made them interesting, and appealing, especially with how they brought to life the Greek, Roman, Egyptian myths. I don't see shows on tv like this anymore. I know HBO, Showtime have done shows on similar themes but it's always more focused on the soap opera, which can be interesting, but overtakes the entire story. I always preferred the fantasy or magical elements along with the drama. Although I understand that to change things up, shows today address dark themes, but it seems sometimes they are overrun with these dark themes just to keep the audience interest but not really creating engaging storylines which use the fantasy or sci-fi imaginatively and creatively.

Reactions: hush and rawr
Have you ever watched sliders? I used to love that show when I was a little kid! Granted it wasn't much to write home about during the later seasons, when most (all?) of the main cast had left, but during the first set of episodes, it was great. I loved the idea of someone building a portal to another dimension in their basement, and exploring it at their leisure. It's a form of technology I wish existed in real life. I've only watched a handful of stargate, so I can't comment on that one. I rememeb my best friend's mother had a huge crush on Kevin Sorbo (the guy who played Hercules) when it was on, though, haha.

I think I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again: tudors is another favorite of mine. Doesn't hurt that the main dude is easy on the eyes ;) it's the historical aspect that really drew me in though. I'm a sucker for historical fiction.

is the part of the show where we list the sci-fi/fantasy shows we miss?

Reactions: Gaze
I miss these fantasy and sci-shows. They had a quality about them which made them interesting, and appealing, especially with how they brought to life the Greek, Roman, Egyptian myths. I don't see shows on tv like this anymore. I know HBO, Showtime have done shows on similar themes but it's always more focused on the soap opera, which can be interesting, but overtakes the entire story. I always preferred the fantasy or magical elements along with the drama. Although I understand that to change things up, shows today address dark themes, but it seems sometimes they are overrun with these dark themes just to keep the audience interest but not really creating engaging storylines which use the fantasy or sci-fi imaginatively and creatively.

I really loved these shows.

I miss Firefly, Dollhouse, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. FOX doesn't know a good thing if it hits them in the face.

Agree, I also miss Sliders, Firefly and Dollhouse.

Reactions: rawr
Agree, I also miss Sliders, Firefly and Dollhouse.
Firefly was frikin awesome.
thought Dollhouse would be weird, but concept sounded cool. VERY artfully done. t'was the shiz

count me in! Omg I started watching Xena again ahahaha :redface: campy but who cares.

count me in! Omg I started watching Xena again ahahaha :redface: campy but who cares.

what channel is Xena playing? Or are you in a diferent country? *waits impatiently*

Reactions: Azazel
These're classics in my mind, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I bet Netflix can abide.

Well, Hercules and Xena. Saturday afternoons and all.

Never watched Stargate.