WW2 theory | INFJ Forum

WW2 theory

Lets talk about world war 2. What if the Japan didnt bomb the U.S. and so they ended up joining later. What would the turn of the war be?
Well when Roosevelt started lend/lease both he and Churchill were expecting that program to induce an intervention from Hitler, when the war started because of the U.S. embargo of Japan everyone was surprised.

Well when Roosevelt started lend/lease both he and Churchill were expecting that program to induce an intervention from Hitler, when the war started because of the U.S. embargo of Japan everyone was surprised.

Hitler didn't even know that Japan was going to attack the U.S. But the Japanese needed to attack the U.S. while they were strong, since their resources were declining.

Reactions: Reason
It's too easy to lose oneself in what-ifs. One could only hope possibly less death and suffering, that maybe the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have been avoided. If anyone hasn't done much research on that, the documentary White Light/Black Rain is a good one. Heart-wrenching, but good.

Really though, and honestly, it's hard to say. One can only speculate, and nothing can be changed. We can only move forward. What if I hadn't slipped on some ice and hurt my knee this morning? My knee would hurt less, but I can't go back and un-slip. What's done is done.

Not to be a party pooper...

It's too easy to lose oneself in what-ifs. One could only hope possibly less death and suffering, that maybe the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have been avoided. If anyone hasn't done much research on that, the documentary White Light/Black Rain is a good one. Heart-wrenching, but good.

Really though, and honestly, it's hard to say. One can only speculate, and nothing can be changed. We can only move forward. What if I hadn't slipped on some ice and hurt my knee this morning? My knee would hurt less, but I can't go back and un-slip. What's done is done.

Well its always fun to think of what could have been. There are an infinite possibilities in an infinite amount of universes

Reactions: Reason and hush
Well its always fun to think of what could have been. There are an infinite possibilities in an infinite amount of universes

Quite true, I suppose it's simply that for me, thinking about what could have been is fruitless, while there's an entire future of what could be in front of me. Like in a relationship "If I had said something different, would s/he have not left me?" That can't be changed, and we can lose ourselves wondering about what was, what could have been. Hope that distinction makes sense, just my two cents. I'll leave you guys to it. :p

Lets talk about world war 2. What if the Japan didnt bomb the U.S. and so they ended up joining later. What would the turn of the war be?
how do you say "God Save the King" in German?

Reactions: Free

Honestly, a really rude post.

Reactions: Josuah and Reason
I agree with and support people doing alternative hypothetical histories. It's interesting and valuable, it's also a popular genre of literary treatment. It sheds light on the way things turned out and continue to turn out. I think it is a valid sort of intellectual exploration. Like, what if Cleopatra had been successful in conflict against Augustus? She was 1 smart lady. Things would have turned out quite differently in Europe! It's interesting to think about.

Reactions: Josuah and Free

Oliver Stone's Untold History Of The United States for me. 10 hours of vastly informative/vastly depressing information about America and how it's not what it seems to be. Episode 3 "The Bomb" is where they cover how deeply unnecessary the atomic bombings were. Tragic seems too kind a word for it.

Last edited:
Quite true, I suppose it's simply that for me, thinking about what could have been is fruitless, while there's an entire future of what could be in front of me. Like in a relationship "If I had said something different, would s/he have not left me?" That can't be changed, and we can lose ourselves wondering about what was, what could have been. Hope that distinction makes sense, just my two cents. I'll leave you guys to it. :p

On the one hand, true, on the other...

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.".

Reactions: Josuah and Reason
Oliver Stone's Untold History Of The United States for me. 10 hours of vastly informative/vastly depressing information about America and how it's not what it seems to be. Episode 3 "The Bomb" is where they cover how deeply unnecessary the atomic bombings were. Tragic seems too kind a word for it.

From what I have seen/read/heard before, it sounds like they basically wanted to show it off to scare Russia (and everyone else).

I imagine that what remained of the Allies would have been finished due to exhausted resources. The American entrance into the Second World War was a necessary display of fortitude for tyrants the world over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josuah
From what I have seen/read/heard before, it sounds like they basically wanted to show it off to scare Russia (and everyone else).
That was their theory in Untold History, and they had a lot of evidence for it.

Nice to see you out and about in more threads these days, by the way :)

Reactions: James and Faye

That was their theory in Untold History, and they had a lot of evidence for it.

I think the idea was more to demonstrate to the USSR (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the world) that they had The Bomb and were ready and willing to use it on a civilian population. As horrifying as that reality was, it was arguable as a strategic necessity given the inevitable standoff that was already brewing even before the war's end.

Just a clarification but an important one...

Can you imagine that in German schools they still send you on a guilt trip, instead of really educating you in history? After the third repetition of the topic Third Reich I couldn't listen anymore. I learnt on this one page of this single thread more than in school. And that is saying something. Sorry that it doesn't really contribute, but I just thought you should know.

Can you imagine that in German schools they still send you on a guilt trip, instead of really educating you in history? After the third repetition of the topic Third Reich I couldn't listen anymore. I learnt on this one page of this single thread more than in school. And that is saying something. Sorry that it doesn't really contribute, but I just thought you should know.
I believe that history should be thought the way it is. Guilt tripping people about the past is not the way to go. Teaching and setting core values will in essence determine A better future.