WTF Canada?

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
living in a free and just society is dangerous

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...af400369a_story.html?client=ms-android-att-us

After I read this story today I decided it was high time to put a spotlight on Canada's....thought process.
Do you have any stories from Canada?
*Freedom granted to man who beheaded bus passenger in Canada
By Associated Press

February 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM

imrs.php

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — A Canadian man who was found not criminally responsible for beheading and cannibalizing a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus has been granted his freedom."

This is an insanely stupid move. What if he forgets to take his medication? Just because he knows that it will keep his illness at bay, does not mean that he will always do the right thing. This happens often, especially with people suffering with a mental illness. The medication is working so well that they think they don't need it anymore. Next thing you know, they are back where they started. And what he did was extreme. WTF. Bad move, Canada.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
So Canada is bad because they believe more in rehabilitation than just emprisoning people and not helping them with their sicknesses...yeah I get what you mean...it's very bad to be treating human beings as human beings despite what they have done in the past because they were/are sick mentally and need proper help.

Reading the Canadian articles about this, they explain more in depth about what will or could happen after his release as opposed to the fear inducing American article you posted.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3968826?client=safari

So to be on topic you can only contribute stories that make Canada look bad?
Nope. If you can come up with a wtf story that makes Canada look good have at.

So Canada is bad because they believe more in rehabilitation than just emprisoning people and not helping them with their sicknesses...yeah I get what you mean...it's very bad to be treating human beings as human beings despite what they have done in the past because they were/are sick mentally and need proper help.

Reading the Canadian articles about this, they explain more in depth about what will or could happen after his release as opposed to the fear inducing American article you posted.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3968826?client=safari
That's not the only aspect to this story. Apparently it's acknowledged by everyone involved that if this person does not stay on their medication they will revert to the state of mind that allowed them to do this horrific crime in the first place. Now, medication is a funny thing. First you have to acquire It, then you have to take ig at regular intervals. Medication absorption can be effected by things like how much food you have eaten.

And so this person who beheaded and are ate a random passenger on a bus is left to his own devices. Even his own mother argued against letting him free. Free with no supervision, no check ins to see how he's doing ...nothing.
Hey it's cool though. At least Canada doesn't have to pay for all the associated medical expenses anymore.

People deserve second chances. He will keep going to therapy regularly and the rest is in his hands. His chances of killing people are higher than the average person but who are we to judge this. We don't know him personally and don't know what he has gone through during his therapy sessions.

I personally believe he should be in an insane assylum and NOT be released. But hey...I also believe that all killers/rapists should belong there and undergo extreme therapy and only be released into the public once they show a huge improvement but still be closely monitored and forced to go to therapy regularly.

The justice system is very flawed in Canada but it also is in the US...for different reasons.

My husband is better at explaining these things but all I can say is that society goes about it all wrong when dealing with killers/mentally ill people. It's like people get very angry and sickened by these people that they can't even conceive the idea of rehabilitating them because they dont feel like they deserve it for the acts they have commited.

This is the wrong way to go about it.

People deserve second chances. He will keep going to therapy regularly and the rest is in his hands. His chances of killing people are higher than the average person but who are we to judge this. We don't know him personally and don't know what he has gone through during his therapy sessions.

I personally believe he should be in an insane assylum and NOT be released. But hey...I also believe that all killers/rapists should belong there and undergo extreme therapy and only be released into the public once they show a huge improvement but still be closely monitored and forced to go to therapy regularly.

The justice system is very flawed in Canada but it also is in the US...for different reasons.

My husband is better at explaining these things but all I can say is that society goes about it all wrong when dealing with killers/mentally ill people. It's like people get very angry and sickened by these people that they can't even conceive the idea of rehabilitating them because they dont feel like they deserve it for the acts they have commited.

This is the wrong way to go about it.
I suppose my perception is that there are levels. One level being a mentally ill person who has killed someone or multiples and recognizing that if it takes an eternal out of the ordinary force to keep them in check (in this case medication) maybe for all the good intentions humanity has we should still focus on the negative possibilities rather than the positive what ifs. It's ok to be decisive and say that some people are simply not going to be able to live average lives for the good of other people.
In my mind it's not at all about punishing this person. It's about keeping it from happening again to the extent that you can or have control over

I suppose my perception is that there are levels. One level being a mentally ill person who has killed someone or multiples and recognizing that if it takes an eternal out of the ordinary force to keep them in check (in this case medication) maybe for all the good intentions humanity has we should still focus on the negative possibilities rather than the positive what ifs. It's ok to be decisive and say that some people are simply not going to be able to live average lives for the good of other people.
In my mind it's not at all about punishing this person. It's about keeping it from happening again to the extent that you can or have control over
The guy couldn't have reached that age without being aware of his condition. The fact that he chose to go unmedicated in the first place makes me think he cannot be trusted with responsibility.

I don't see this as a rehabilitation issue, but as a case of fatal irresponsibility. I'm surprised that he wasn't jailed for failing to take medications the first time around.