Praefect

Sparkles
Oct 15, 2010
MBTI
Infj
Enneagram
type 9
http://en.vidivodo.com/188787/first-cyborg-of-the-world

This really creeps me out. Not because of the whole machines taking over thing, but what kind of existence is that? Without food or sex, what makes this brain want to get up in the morning? To me it seems like being trapped in a nightmare, no way to do anything other than (and I know I am anthropomorphizing) run around in circles screaming.

Edit: That title was supposed to read "Worlds first cyborg" obviously. :m192:

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is, is it alive?

By any definition of the word, I hope not.

Me too.

Edit: I'm all for stem cell research ect. But this just seems to be technology for the sake of it. What use is a cyborg over a normal machine other than for us to point at?

Last edited:
i generally feel fairly interested in artificial intelligences, but even trying to think about this thing gives me the creeps! i don't know why, it's totally irrational. i couldn't even watch the video all the way through.

I didnt see any rat brains, wonder if its fake, wouldn't be the 1st time the English lied about scientific achievement lol.

I've seen this before. Maybe its just the background music, but the poor thing seems upset.

I'm rather looking forward to it, myself... spending a few hundred thousand years exploring space as a self-conscious probe, possibly to be re-constituted in the flesh on select preferable worlds before becoming the probe again to move on. There's so much more to live for than food and sex.

How real is this?

:m077: Ugh. I hate that we use animals for scientific research. Poor things. :m033:

well time to appease our soon to be rodent overlords...
cheese_oh_cheese.jpg

Ok, that does freak me out a bit and the first time I watched it I didn't have the sound on.

What they SHOULD do is hook up the brain cells to a human-like robot and see what happens.

Now that would be a site!

Edit: Also, we should really be worshipping mice for "taking one for the team" for the last few hundred years.

Last edited:
I'm indifferent. I understand what they're trying to do but I don't see a huge rat invasion happening soon.

Reactions: Odyne
interesting, yet a bit creepy.

What they SHOULD do is hook up the brain cells to a human-like robot and see what happens.

Now that would be a site!

Edit: Also, we should really be worshipping mice for "taking one for the team" for the last few hundred years.

I would be down for a national day of mice :)

Dolly is better than any Cyborg.

Unless they made Dolly a cyborg and then
I would probably piss myself in excitement.

Very creepy. And I guess I'm missing the concept: The rat is alive, but are they connecting electrodes to its exposed brain? Is it "seeing" in two places at once? What will they do to poor Gordon after this experiment? Does he keep his brain? The brain "dies" in three months...does the rat die?

No, no. I do not like what this does.