Working memory fault as a cause of psychological dysfunction | INFJ Forum

Working memory fault as a cause of psychological dysfunction

dogman6126

Community Member
May 9, 2014
MBTI
ENFJ-wasINFJ
First, let me say that I had this thought randomly while working on a paper for my philosophy class that I want to finish within the next 2 or 3 hours :)m097:...:mk:). I can't spend much time here posting the thought, or putting much thought into the concept.

So to get to the point, in cases of psychological dysfunction, such as severe depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, etc. I've heard there is evidence for a positive relation between these disorders and higher IQ. Well, because IQ is directly related to working memory capacity, I'm wondering if it might not be related. In thinking about it, I was wondering if a part of working memory might have the capacity to work unconsciously on tasks separate from other parts of working memory. Say a person has a capacity of 5 parts working memory. I'm wondering if, part of the working memory, say 2 parts, might fall on a kind of circular problem. Each repetition reinforcing the pattern in the unconscious. If this is about maybe a negative conclusion of ones self worth, I wonder if that might cause depression. Or, maybe one part focuses on negative self worth, and another on extremely positive self worth, which then is constantly fighting itself. Leading to a bipolar cycle? Further, what if one part of the working memory separates itself from senses of reality. Perhaps it could feed false sensory inputs if it is wired correctly...schizophrenia? Maybe a separation of working memory more drastically can lead to multiple personality disorder?

I don't know, this is probably all wrong for a reason I cannot see right now. But I want to think about it later. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks! :m118:

Reactions: invisible
So I've thought about it, and I'm pretty sure this idea is wrong. Working memory is a capacity of attention, and attention is a function of awareness, therefore it does not act unconsciously. I still wonder if some sections of the brain might in some way separate itself and create outputs that conflict and harm the conscious parts of the brain, but I have no idea how, why, or if there is any evidence to support this. And because school is seriously picking up, I don't have time to research it :noidea:. Oh wells...