Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Nietzsche describes "the will to power" as the fundamental human motivator. Other psychologists identify "the will to pleasure", and "the will to meaning."

Presumably these have active and passive forms: some people are motivated to lead, others are attracted to leaders; some seek pleasure, others seek to please; still others seek to explain, others seek to understand.

What's the balance of motivations in your life; which are more important, and how do these motivators work together, or contradict each other?

*** DO NOT EVALUATE, OR JUDGE WHAT MOTIVATES OTHERS... EVERYTHING CAN BE USED WELL, OR ILL. THERE IS ALSO NO NEED TO JUSTIFY WHAT MOTIVATES YOU. **

Reactions: Sandie33
I'm not sure what you are asking but I'm just going to say:

Will to peace.

Reactions: j654dgj7
I'm not sure what you are asking but I'm just going to say:

Will to peace.
I'm asking because my own perspective is clear to me, but the outlook of other people is interesting and worth trying to understand.

I am motivated by wanting insight (passive... not so much about sharing my insights). I have a will to power, insofar as when I have an insight, I want to see it actually come to fruition. I want to be moral myself, but the morals of other people doesn't affect/interest me, so long as they don't affect me. Any pleasure-seeking is a definite recreational interest to me... I like to share what I enjoy with people who might enjoy it, but I won't play pop vocal music, if a guest likes it, because I dislike it.

Reactions: Wyote
The will to pleasure sounds like it could be split into more categories, but I think some combination of power/meaning seems appropriate for me. Closer to power.

That said, I am a shitty pursuer of power, so maybe not.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Will to power primarily. I know what I want to happen, and I do not give in until it happens. I can be very strict and regimented with myself to achieve something whether it is personally, professionally, or a health goal.

Then will to pleasure, and by that I mean living in the present and taking time to appreciate and spend time with and be affectionate with others. I can get very hyper focused on making things happen that I don't spend as much time in the present moment enjoying people I care about. Basically I'm trying to find a good work life balance.

In other times in my life, I was primarily motivated to understand and find meaning. I spend less time in contemplation and studying than I would like. But I don't have a lot of solitary free time these days.

It's a fine, easy to understand, philosophy.
I'm not a subscriber, but it's compelling.