Why Women Are Stripey | INFJ Forum

Why Women Are Stripey

What are men, tho?

Also
giphy.gif

Reactions: BritNi and Infjente
As both X and Y chromosomes are active, i'd imagine a bunch Dots? (dependable on which chromosome pushes the most genes into a specific cell).

https://www.livescience.com/27248-chromosomes.html
In contrast to the large X chromosome, the Y chromosome contains only 26 genes. Sixteen of these genes are responsible for cell maintenance. Nine are involved in sperm production, and if some are missing or defective, low sperm counts or infertility may occur. One gene, called the SRY gene, is responsible for male sexual traits.
So not that many Y dots.

I am Blotch Man

Reactions: Sandie33 and BritNi
Ah no problem, it is indeed pure trivia.

Let me give you the short summary:

- Men are born with an XY pair chromosome combination, women with an XX pair.
- Men use both the XY chromosomes during cell division at birth. For women however only 1 of the 2 X chromosomes in the pair is used / activated, the other is inactivated during cell division.
- The selection of which X chromosome is activated or deactivated for cell division is done randomly.
- As a result women are born with cell groups that have either genetical material from the one X chromosome or the other X chromosome, hence the term "Women are Stripey".

Calico Cats are a perfect visual example of these stripes as you can see these stripes in the patterns of their fur; only the normal female cats do have these stripe patterns (that's the trivia, handy for a quiz).

img_are_there_male_calico_cats_2491_600.jpg

https://www.thesprucepets.com/are-calico-cats-always-female-3384568

Stripey: stretch marks came to mind, but men can have those too.

Wait. So there are no male calico cats in existence?

Mind. Blown. ...I feel kind of dumb, but I'm glad I watched it. Knew info, and glad you shared.

Molecular biology makes me feel really sick to my stomach. But... at least I know that I should only get calico cats in the future.

Wait. So there are no male calico cats in existence?
There actually are male calico's, but they have a genetic mutation. So you don't have to feel dumb :wink:

Male Calico Cats
Calico cats are not always female. Male calico cats do exist and typically have a chromosomal aberration of two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY). Cats with this chromosomal configuration are usually sterile, which means that they are not able to breed. This syndrome is similar to a condition in humans called Klinefelter's syndrome, or XXY syndrome.

Reactions: BritNi and Wyote
giphy.gif

Reactions: Wyote