why typology? | INFJ Forum

why typology?

Dec 10, 2014
MBTI
INXX
Enneagram
4/5w5/4
Why do we use typology to find ourselves when its all just a theory?

I dont know why but im having a lot of trouble finding ny type and the term 'theory' worries me. It feels as though its not.. really there. Not so reliable.

Oh btw. Help type me if you dont mind. I have been searching for answers since day 1 and havent found one. Ive relied on people but they always let me down. Now ill try again. Please help type me.

You will hear different answers on this, OP. There are people who lean more that you should look for the right way and have more of an established, settled way of doing things. Then there are those who see MBTI theory as more fluid and changeable.

I think the bottom line is that theories take some noticeable patterns and rigorously axiomatize them. That's how it is going from physics to the equations describing physics, but as most know, reality doesn't behave equations in a simple and predictable way necessarily.

My advice is to move away from what in the theory tries to be too discrete, meaning, define you by "you are this or that" and instead pursue the line that says you have a degree of all the temperaments/types, and it is the pattern which closest fits that you should take.

It may interest you to know that not even the founder of this theory is someone whose type all the experts agree upon (that's right, Mr. C.G. Jung himself). Mr. Jung typed himself as a thinking dominant with auxiliary sensation at first. Then, he later in life changed to thinking he was more of an intuitive. Professional Jungian analysts do not agree whether he is an intuitive dominant or a thinking dominant. And Mr. Keirsey types him as a INFJ, as do various internet forum members.

So there is uncertainty in the mix. Some are more comfortable tooting that they found "the right way" to type people. I am not, and I think you should find some perspective that matches you closest, or decide typological models aren't for you, which is a perfectly natural decision for some.

Overall you sounded to me in your type-me as some kind of INF. I lean INFP.

The least sound part of MBTI theory I know of is the correlation between the MBTI dichotomies tests and the so-called cognitive functions. It is not sound theory that INFP are necessarily introverted feeling dominants. However, you do sound like you're both NFP over NFJ, and also introverted feeling over extraverted.
What this means is your feelings seem to be much more closely tied to an inner worldview that is hard to touch by the outside. Intuition is a lot more like gut hunches, patterns, and inner associations you perceive that aren't necessarily rich in feeling content, and the prototypical NiFe combination tends to seek to explore these outside oneself -- in other words, to pursue those intuitions within for instance the social sphere.

The reason I say NP over NJ is nothing much about you seems to have the theme of a certain deliberation to bringing forth a wisdom -- you seem more like you want to passively see things as they are, like an observer (I am the same for instance) and let them take their course and watch and discover more than reform and bring about.

The correlation Myers observed between this INFP and the Fi with intuition pattern seems to be that when feeling is introverted, it is more noninvolved somehow, and as if your purpose with reflection isn't to affect something so much as to reflect further inward into its significance to you -- which fits less with the NJ task-orientedness.

An individual in your type-me thread seemed to suggest your not being sure what to feel about yourself is Fe...I think reading between the lines, it might not be that you're focused outward with your feelings so much as you might over-reflect or be reserved about assuming something about yourself, but your feelings still vibed to me as coming inward. This is tricky though, and you ought carefully consider if what I am saying resonates with you, feels like it's hitting something key about you on the head, and so forth.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions, and my recommendation is to stay flexible with your type journey.