Why the Caged Bird Does Not Sing | INFJ Forum

Why the Caged Bird Does Not Sing

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Here's a different type of science for this category "Animal Psychology". This article located in Psychology Today explains perfectly why I work in the field I work:

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings. -William Blake

It is usual and customary these days to forewarn with disclaimers such as "the following material contains scenes of a disturbing and violent nature" and "discretion is advised." What typically follows are scenes of violence and its victims. Yet you will see no such cautions posted in "pet" stores or zoos, for one plain and simple reason: caged animals are socially acceptable and culturally normative. Screaming parrots, pacing tigers, swaying stereotypic elephants, and orcas with vacant eyes pressed to the glass aquarium wall [1] are not considered harmful to eyes and minds of children or others. Bars, glass, and other barriers behind which wildlife are interred are portrayed as only slight alterations of an animal's natural habitat and history... more

Full article here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bear-in-mind/201110/why-the-caged-bird-does-not-sing

Reactions: invisible
Animals are not meant to be locked up, they are meant t be free. Animals are intelligent sentient beings, of course they are going to go stir crazy in prison, I know I did, it's only natural t go mental if your stuck in a box 24/7.

It is why I hated going to zoos and would cry as a child when I saw them in cages.

It's why I hate seeing dogs on chains and horses on ropes instead of in a paddock or pasture. I see this all the time down here.

It's why I hate going to nursing homes and seeing people lying in beds or confined to their rooms denied sunshine and the wind on their faces.

It's why I really don't like Westerners...

Reactions: Rasmus
Yeah it's a shitty world, we've gave our power away to the corporations and now we're pretty much screwed.

I don't think animals should be kept as pets in cages or in zoos. I disapprove of this practice that is widespread in many cultures around the world. I just don't think humans should ever have decided to keep animals as "pets", except for if animals voluntarily come out of their habitat themselves to live with humans (and then they should get to come and go freely like an equal), so that all this wouldn't be so hard to end.