Why is monogamy your preferred model for love and relationships? | INFJ Forum

Why is monogamy your preferred model for love and relationships?

StarsPer

Regular Poster
Jan 27, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
i fogot
It seems to me that most people haven't actually stopped to explore this, simply accepting the globally preferred model for romantic love as the ideal, even the exclusive option, without scrutiny or conscious basis. I thought it might be nice to actually hear some articulations on what about it resonates with you, or makes it the only option for you.

As I do not myself participate in monogamous ideology, I cannot contribute my own thoughts in favor of it. Nor am I here to start an argument with anyone who does share their thoughts. I'd just like to start the conversation and listen to what is shared.
:m166x:

Because I want as few women as possible to know how little my pee pee is.

Reactions: Jill Hives
I don't have the energy to focus on more than one person at a time.
I am unable to share myself with another person easily.
Because I crave intimacy, to be known. I don't think you can develop that type of connection by engaging multiple partners.
Because I don't think you can ever "love" more than on person "equally" and someone is bound to get hurt.
Because relationships are messy and complicated and that would be multiplied by adding more people.
Because when I share myself I don't want to do that with a crowd.
Because I would worry that such a lifestyle would put me at greater risk for sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS.

Edit: My morals preclude the idea that I would engage in a multiple partner relationship. I do believe there is something wrong about such a situation which is why I wouldn't engage in one. To be clear though, I do not judge other's how they choose to live their lives, nor hold it against them in anyway if it doesn't fit my belief system. I am willing to state what my values, morals and honor tell me are right for my lifepath.

Last edited:
I am entirely too possessive and jealous for anything but monogamy to be possible for me. I do not want to share, actually, make that I refuse to share. I have never had such an issue pop up in my current relationship with my husband thankfully. In the past though if I even so much as got a hint that my love interests eyes were starting to stray to another, I wanted to go on predator attack mode to eliminate the offending intruders. This is merely my primal desire in such situations. Obviously what would actually happen is a bit different from that. I'm too much of a sissypants. All growl and no bite.

I have nothing against polyamory what so ever. Everyone should love in the way that feels right to them and works for them. I just know if I ever even so much as attempted this, I would end up being that crazy bitch girlfriend who caused way more drama than it was worth...hahaha... D: I've been in crazy bitch land before. I wish not to go there again...

Last edited:
Because you can't fully understand or feel the weight of love by committing to many vs. one. I value the relationship and exclusivity that being with only one person can bring. I am not interested in or believe in this idea that more than one person can fulfill various needs or that you can be in love with more than one person at once. You can love each person differently but not the same.

And I don't think it's fair to share just a part of me rather than sharing everything with that one person. I don't really think monogamy is any less adventurous, curious, or appreciative of different types of people. And I don't believe anyone is more free because they see themselves with more than one person. It's always interesting to see or hear talk about monogamy as if it's an unenlightened position. Being monogamous, however conservative it may seem, is a remarkable and wonderful partnership. It's the people which make the relationship in any case.

Personally, three's a crowd. I don't need to be with more than one person to have a relationship which is fulfilling. Dating or being with many people at the same time has never appealed to me. And I don't think I'm missing anything.

Reactions: Radiantshadow
If you are to succeed in any endeavor you would need to invest yourself heftily in it. That goes for relationships as well, and I only have so much to invest of myself.