Why is it so difficult for parents to understand their offsprings' POVs? | INFJ Forum

Why is it so difficult for parents to understand their offsprings' POVs?

Suraj Z

Aug 18, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
451 sx/so/s-p
As someone who's felt misunderstood (or maybe just flat-out underappreciated) by his parents for basically his entire life, and has acutely felt the harmful repercussions of it, this thread's title's question is of great importance to me.

What are some of your theories or relevant experiences that might serve to properly elucidate this familial phenomenon, at either the sociological or psychological level(s)?

Thanks in advance, for any possible contributions. :)

It comes down to a healthy respect for diversity and individuality, I think. Among many other things, it takes firm empathy to be an effective parent, IMO. Many of the parents I've worked with have simply tried to transmit the beliefs and priorities that worked for them, or even the ones that did not but wanted them to, into their children. For those children this approach does not work for, parents have a few choices. They can either continue to support that which worked for them and hope their kids will eventually "get it", acknowledge the variability within normality and figure out what is meaningful to their kids (i.e, other approaches to living are fine, too), or stop trying altogether and let their children do what they wish without any kind of supervision. If the parents do not alter the way they interact with their children despite evidence that what they're doing isn't effective, then it is my opinion that they have committed an egocentric disservice by not trying to give their kids the support and resources most useful for them. Instead, parents try to make miniatures of themselves.

Often times, parents simply believe they know better than their children and are unwilling to validate another perspective. They may or may not be justified in this belief, given the circumstances. In those situations when the parents' belief and behavior are appropriate, the trick - which I must often teach the parents of my clients - is to let children feel the taste of failure and disappointment and loss on their own within safe parameters. Once they do, good parents will help their kids cope with it effectively so they will make more effective decisions in the future. Bad parents won't, and instead of being helpful will let their kids flounder or gloat about being right.

Imagine carrying something in ur body for 9 months, then it came out of ur vagina, and turns out it was the DEVIL? How would u feel?

Reactions: barbad0s
Imagine carrying something in ur body for 9 months, then it came out of ur vagina, and turns out it was the DEVIL? How would u feel?

152ds1k.gif

Proud, ackshually.

As someone who's felt misunderstood (or maybe just flat-out underappreciated) by his parents for basically his entire life, and has acutely felt the harmful repercussions of it, this thread's title's question is of great importance to me.

What are some of your theories or relevant experiences that might serve to properly elucidate this familial phenomenon, at either the sociological or psychological level(s)?

How do you think you will do as a parent and why?

I think most adults just forget what it's like to be in the same position and don't know how to put themselves in their "offspring"'s shoes. Have you ever been a parent? No. I'm sure you'll feel the same way when you have kids; at a loss of what to do a lot of the time. Also kids spend most of their time at school and the parents don't really have a good idea of what is being taught or not taught to their kids, so they can only assume a lot of the time whilst suffering from the curse of knowledge. Kids don't know jack shit about some areas of life and are learning about all sorts of other things that are getting their hormones in a twist, and meanwhile parents are busy all day long working and trying to provide for the family and in their own little worlds of their own. Of course it's going to be hard to relate to and understand each other's POV.

A parent feels not only responsible for you but love for you as well. It makes you a little like an ungrateful pet.

Parents are people...with their own notions and beliefs about parenting, children, family, life, society etc. They have their own personality, values, skills, idiosyncracies, desires, needs, strengths, weaknesses, aspirations, and past story. They have their own parents to contend with

Much of what people learn is from their parents and other adults in their environment. When they start interacting with peers, they learn new information...but this is often filtered through the information learned from the parents and caregivers. When they are grown, they may not know how much of what they understand as 'real' is because of what their parents taught them, and what they have learned on their own, for their own reasons.

Parents are responsible for the current state of our world. Parents fuck shit up.

In saying that, many parents are simply doing the best they can, according to their knowledge, values, and beliefs.

Caring and providing for a child is, in my opinion, the most difficult and rewarding thing in the world. It is a lot of responsibility to be personally responsible for another's life.

People respond to this responsibility in many different ways. Some ignore it. Some embrace it. Some try to make their kids into themselves. Or into better versions of themselves. Or into what they consider 'good citizens'. Or into whatever their preconcieved notion of good parent/good child is. A lot of people copy what their parents did. Many also do the opposite of what their parents did. Some learn and adapt. Some teach their children mainly how to 'survive' in this dangerous world. Some copy their friends. Some copy whats popular. Others learn everything they can and try to raise their kids in the most informed way they can. Some follow their heart. Some recognise that their children are people too, and try to nurture them in any way they can. Most people do a mixture of all these things. Some people see their children as an unwanted burden, they may verbally abuse then, treat their children as a punching bag, as servants, as enemies. Some see their children as divine beings, and see their care and the relationship as a profoundly creative friendship.

It can be difficult for the parent to see their child as a person, and for the child to see the parent as a person. Recognising this and being able to let go of roles occasionally can be extremely beneficial. Many people are better with their friends and colleagues than they are with their children

There is so much to the parent/child relationship it would be take a book to go through all the pertinent information.
But fundamentally, having a child is creating a person that is born utterly helpless, that you are responsible for, but cannot and do not control, and that other people will judge you for, and that is at the mercy of the world. The parent/child relationship explores just about every aspect of life and human experience because of this dynamic. Children learn constantly, and often parents model behaviour they do not want the child to learn. The child tests just about eveything the parent believe simply by existing. Everything is often seen through fresh eyes when we are responsible for a child. The world starts again. And a new level of fear and powerlessness is introduced. Realationships, partnerships, and friendships are challenged and redefined in the new context. And in many cases, there is a new extraordinary love that is beyond words and a feeling of 'posessiveness' that is utterly overwhelming. The parent is often required to make adaptations, sacrifices, and to a large extent, lose their independance.

The issue of control is very important in this relationship, moreso than in other relationships. Often responsibility/power/control/authority are all interconnected. It gets messy when applied to children, that are essentially innocent and ignorant, and at the mercy of the parents and immediate environment. When teaching their children, many people use the methods that they believe and know, and often the 'easiest'...which is fear, competition, bribery, and punishment. Although positive reinforcement and observational learning are the easiest and best ways to teach information, these methods also require much more self awareness, responsibility, effort, compassion, and patience from the parent. Kids can be difficult, as they are often at the mercy of their emotions...and it can be easy and natural for some people to react in anger or frustration. Which ofcourse then effects/affects the child in various ways. And so it goes. Some parents seem to be literally engaged in a battle of wits with the child, which may further increase the feeling of competition/supression and asserting/losing power and control. It get ugly. Lessons get learned. And then practiced in the school environment. And then these children grow up...and may teach their children the same beliefs and behaviours....And thus we end up with the sort of culture we live in.

In my opinion, i believe that children are innocent, perfect, and have unlimited potential. I dont believe in punishment. Teach through modeling behavior, reinforcement, and logic and reason. Children are extraordinarly wise and have much to teach us. Love, friendship, respect, support, honesty, and guidance is my ideal model for parenting. Love and compassion is everything, and helping the person become independant, capable, responsible....and in the end...simply happy. Its critical to respect that they are their own person, are allowed to make their own mistakes and learn things their own way. And that they may not be like you, they may have different desires and beliefs, and at times they may blame you, and not like you. Honesty and giving children their own 'space' is a vital part of respecting them as people.

A big part of being a good parent is understanding and forgiving your own parents. And becoming your own parent...caring for yourself the way you may have needed or wanted your parent to.

[MENTION=5511]o_q[/MENTION] - hahahaha!

I only understood my parents when I became a parent. I realized that my parents were very ill equipped. If you can, try to see your behavior from their perspective and to see them as humans, not parents. If they aren't abusive and you know they love you but just don't understand you, give them a pass. Honestly, if you are infj, very few people will ever understand you.

Ultimately, you can't change them but you can change how you feel about the way they act.

Parents have a couple of your lifetimes under their belt. They have seen some shit and they have done some shit. Children can only operate within the context of their own experience and their own knowledge. It may be kids feel they deserve higher accolades or that they are "right" and know better than their parents, but usually they're really wrong. Kids have only seen the tip of the ice burg in life and sometimes it's really precious that they think they know it all and that their parents are TRYING to give them a hard time. I mean, abuse cases and such are different, but in most cases parents operate in the much wider and varied context of their experience and also the REAL WORLD where as kids think they know what the fuck is up even though they essentially live in a bubble. A VERY small bubble.

Why do you feel you deserve more appreciation? Are you making their lives easier in some way? Are you providing for them? Are you reciprocating in their lives in a way that would match what they've done in terms of creating you, feeding you, schooling you, sheltering you and clothing you? What is it about you that you think deserves more than you get?

Additionally, do you think your parents misunderstand you because they don't ACCEPT you, or do you think it's because they might actually know better in certain circumstances and you feel cut down? I mean... what are you looking for?

Some good responses, to what was initially a needed (albeit fairly innocuous form of a) vent. Thanks, all.

How do you think you will do as a parent and why?

Can't possibly know the answer to that, without actually being one.

I've been told things along the lines of "you're good father material", but I've never taken such comments very seriously. (Both the complimenters and I were much too young and naive to have been able to know that, with any respectable degree of certainty, and they were too biased toward my good qualities at the possible exclusion of my negative ones.)

Why do you feel you deserve more appreciation? Are you making their lives easier in some way? Are you providing for them? Are you reciprocating in their lives in a way that would match what they've done in terms of creating you, feeding you, schooling you, sheltering you and clothing you? What is it about you that you think deserves more than you get?

To the second, third, and fourth questions: Other than having an income to contribute, and helping with some little things here and there, no, not significantly. (I often serve as a listening ear and neutral-reaffirming bounce-off board for my mom, when she's contemplating weightier considerations such as what to do next in her career, but my dad is very stubbornly self-sufficient.) I foresee myself helping more actively in their much-later age, though that's a certain ways off. Usually, they don't necessarily want my help--it's almost invariably met with a "no", when I ask if they do--or would much rather I simply helped than feel the need to ask.

I believe everyone deserves due appreciation for their positive qualities, and that parents are important figures to receive such early (and sincere) validation from. It means more, coming from them than from others, considering the inherent closeness--whether healthy or not--between them and their kids. So when it's missing, the hole is much more difficult to fill.

Additionally, do you think your parents misunderstand you because they don't ACCEPT you, or do you think it's because they might actually know better in certain circumstances and you feel cut down? I mean... what are you looking for?

The former. As for the second question: Just some objective understanding of a phenomenon that, while undoubtedly still significant, is by no means unique to my own set of life experiences.

Last edited:

I think kids can unfavourably compare their parents to just about everything instead of getting on with what they need to be doing. Unfortunately for the parent this is part of the process of the young person finding their way and breaking away from the security that has been provided for them.

It is quite horrible to experience as a parent but seems to be necessary.

I have been blamed for everything and all my reactions scrutinised since my girls hit puberty. Their favourite thing is to try to guilt trip me; 'oh look I have no money and everything would have been different if I had felt more appreciated'. The reality is they lacked discipline and are having to learn the hard way.

All in all as much as we care about our children the pov is always going to be different. Often parents have to ignore a lot of stuff and simply keep modelling appropriate behaviour until the young person grows the fuck up.

It is endless...

Takes one to know one.

The world changes and different generations face different challenges

generations can rarely appreciate what other generations are going through and someties aren't even that consciously aware of why the other generations are going through what they are going through

22 year old infj,
Why is it so difficult for a young infj to understand his parents?

If you talk like you write then I see why your parents may not want to encourage your being around too much.

As it is known INFx's are the minority of the population the chances of having introverts for parents are small leaving most of us born to Extroverted parents. Right there is the main schism between understanding and appreciating your diversity and shows their drive to mold you in their image. Did you know there are differences in how an Introvert utilizes their brain when pondering a solution to a problem vs how Extroverts use their brains?

Another thing to consider is our society begins molding you into Society's best interests almost from the day you're born. The majority of our society are comprised of extroverts and as such is primarily geared to their way of being....their ways of perceiving....their ways of thinking. Parents are only copying what society teaches them.

Look around in our society. What do you see? Harsh negative consequences for any alleged wrong done by it's citizenry. "Thinking and challenging the status quo" is not allowed for adults - so it's predictable it would occurr in our childhood.

What blows my mind is to see adults my age (58yo) standing around being pissed off at youth because they "don't respect authority" whenever they themselves don't respect it either. [shakes head]

If you talk like you write then I see why your parents may not want to encourage your being around too much.

They don't discourage it at all, really, but thanks for playing.

Last edited:
As it is known INFx's are the minority of the population the chances of having introverts for parents are small leaving most of us born to Extroverted parents. Right there is the main schism between understanding and appreciating your diversity and shows their drive to mold you in their image. Did you know there are differences in how an Introvert utilizes their brain when pondering a solution to a problem vs how Extroverts use their brains?

Another thing to consider is our society begins molding you into Society's best interests almost from the day you're born. The majority of our society are comprised of extroverts and as such is primarily geared to their way of being....their ways of perceiving....their ways of thinking. Parents are only copying what society teaches them.

Look around in our society. What do you see? Harsh negative consequences for any alleged wrong done by it's citizenry. "Thinking and challenging the status quo" is not allowed for adults - so it's predictable it would occurr in our childhood.

What blows my mind is to see adults my age (58yo) standing around being pissed off at youth because they "don't respect authority" whenever they themselves don't respect it either. [shakes head]

I should've mentioned this before, but both of my parents are pretty extraverted (as is my older brother). The I/E divide has probably been the biggest personality factor inhibiting our respective communicative efficacies, though it's been much less of an issue as of late.