Why do we appear different types to others? | INFJ Forum

Why do we appear different types to others?

NiennaLadyOfTears

Goth Hobbit Lass
Donor
May 9, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was just wondering if you seem to deal with other people in a way that is not your true type. For instance, my husband is an ENFP, and I find myself interacting with him in some circumstances as more of an ISTJ than an INFJ. Sometimes he's alltogether too much head-in-the-clouds to function and I have to weight him down a bit or else he'll blow away. :p

But that said, overall I don't feel that I fit the ISTJ description in any way shape or form, but maybe in interacting with certain people sometimes we have to put on a mask based on what they need from us?

most definitley, i get exactly what you're saying here. based on what outcome i'm looking to achieve, different types translate to different approaches and thus using sometimes less developed functions to get to where i want to go.

i usually become more S'ish around bandmates, it just helps with our communication if they feel comfortable around me so i prove that i can be like them, though it does feel as though i need to reaffirm this fact every time i see them, otherwise they're quiet.

I was just wondering if you seem to deal with other people in a way that is not your true type. For instance, my husband is an ENFP, and I find myself interacting with him in some circumstances as more of an ISTJ than an INFJ. Sometimes he's alltogether too much head-in-the-clouds to function and I have to weight him down a bit or else he'll blow away. :p

But that said, overall I don't feel that I fit the ISTJ description in any way shape or form, but maybe in interacting with certain people sometimes we have to put on a mask based on what they need from us?

great question! here's a theory: our cognitive functions are expressed in direct proportion to the level expressed by those around us~ in other words, even if you're very introverted, an even more introverted person will bring out the latent extrovert in you =P i think it's akin to NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance), how all the electrons orient themselves in random directions in the absence of an external magnetic field, but once one is applied (once the effect of social influence is switched on/increased), they twist and turn towards their polar opposite.

or something like that. im sleepy, sorry if that doesn't make sense!

I'm an infj when I'm alone, or with people I don't know. I'm an estp on places like this forum.

As Indy has stated on several occasions I have a general norm that doesn't change over most interactions. Excessive stress and inebriation cause the most deviation and even then it is subject to what's going on.

These ads are...

Anyway...

I used to be INFJ all the time in every situation. Through trial and error, I have developed a defense mechanism that tends to turn me ENTP in social situations. When I am in an academic environment, more due to the processing of information than hiding in plain sight, I tend to come across very INTx. It takes a great deal of familiarity before people see me for what I am, but when they realize it, it's so obvious they often smack themselves in the head.

To most people I will appear as some sort of IxxJ depending on the circumstances. I am more T like around people I don't know well, or do not like. Same thing with S to a lesser extent. In large groups I can be perceived as an E if I am confortable in the setting. Largely once people get to know me they settle on INFJ because they become more aware of my internal processes.

It also depends on the person. I know some people who don't change much from situation to situation, whereas if I'm going to interact at all, I'll change a great deal.

I can come across very E rather than I. I can use F effectively and just hide/mellow out my T when dealing with others and relate using F. I am horrible with S and usually revert to N in the blink of an eye. S gets me every time and strong Sensors tend to bring out my worse side.

http://www.personalitypathways.com/faces.html

I've appeared quite T-ish or E-ish occasionally. It usually depends on my mood.
If I'm happy, I try harder with people and I come across E.
If I'm depressed/irritated, I can't be bothered with my Fe any more and Ti reins.
I'm not S-ish though, nor P-ish. My N and J functions are very consistant no matter what.
Usually, though, I'm a complete INFJ.

I act typically different according where I'm, what I do.
Typically online I'm much more childish, I wouldn't act like here normally. ( Way too embarrassing... >///> )
At work I'm much more INTJ, and less introverted than normally, but that is just necessary.

Yeah...I seem to have a different mask for every person I talk to. I do it without knowing i'm doing it until I study the actions I would do with another person in the same situation.

Most of my friends seem to be on the same level as me thow, so I can be myself. Which is good Jaa?

Many people once, I get to them better, think that I am extroverted, but all it is is me letting my walls down a bit and opening up.

Usually when I meet someone, I tend to act very ENFJish...I think this is the reason that so many of my teachers tend to like me so much.

When I'm in the gym with my workout partner, I can get very S (ISTJ..aka:getting down to business). In fact the guaranteed way to unleash my inner S, is to make me do some sort of intense physical activity.

I don't really try to hide myself too much though.

I act as an ENTP around people that I know quite well, I'm not afriad to be an extroverted individual.
But generally in public I act my INTP self, I keep to myself and watch the world go by. I have to be careful not to drift off though, its a problem for me at Boxing and Muay Thai. I tend to drift off during training and have a hard time staying focused.

So yeah.

When people are mad at me they accuse me of being INTJ and when I get super comfortable around them they start thinking I'm INFP.

Reactions: sassafras
I feel I act quite E-ish when around those I accept. Strangers are most likely to spot my I-ness.

When I'm around other introverts (especially at work) I am almost forced to become more extroverted. Sometimes I don't mind but sometimes it aggravates me.

great question! here's a theory: our cognitive functions are expressed in direct proportion to the level expressed by those around us~ in other words, even if you're very introverted, an even more introverted person will bring out the latent extrovert in you =P i think it's akin to NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance), how all the electrons orient themselves in random directions in the absence of an external magnetic field, but once one is applied (once the effect of social influence is switched on/increased), they twist and turn towards their polar opposite.

or something like that. im sleepy, sorry if that doesn't make sense!

I agree and I like your theroy.
With years I appear more ES, but it is beacuse in social situations it's easier to put mask and have fun. Plus - little extroversions makes people around happier...
Anyway, I also have different mask for different ocasions. But under all these masks is just me (I mean not our forum "just me":), I mean I)...
But, I feel comfortable in E mood if I don't overact it...

So what is it like when you act like an ISTJ? Please tell this ISTJ all about it.