Why do we appear different types to others? | INFJ Forum

Why do we appear different types to others?

Discussion in 'The INFJ Typology' started by NiennaLadyOfTears, Oct 12, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by NiennaLadyOfTears
  1. NiennaLadyOfTears

NiennaLadyOfTears Goth Hobbit Lass
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    I was just wondering if you seem to deal with other people in a way that is not your true type. For instance, my husband is an ENFP, and I find myself interacting with him in some circumstances as more of an ISTJ than an INFJ. Sometimes he's alltogether too much head-in-the-clouds to function and I have to weight him down a bit or else he'll blow away. :p

But that said, overall I don't feel that I fit the ISTJ description in any way shape or form, but maybe in interacting with certain people sometimes we have to put on a mask based on what they need from us?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bagelriffic

bagelriffic Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    5 sx
    most definitley, i get exactly what you're saying here. based on what outcome i'm looking to achieve, different types translate to different approaches and thus using sometimes less developed functions to get to where i want to go.

i usually become more S'ish around bandmates, it just helps with our communication if they feel comfortable around me so i prove that i can be like them, though it does feel as though i need to reaffirm this fact every time i see them, otherwise they're quiet.

3. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    great question! here's a theory: our cognitive functions are expressed in direct proportion to the level expressed by those around us~ in other words, even if you're very introverted, an even more introverted person will bring out the latent extrovert in you =P i think it's akin to NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance), how all the electrons orient themselves in random directions in the absence of an external magnetic field, but once one is applied (once the effect of social influence is switched on/increased), they twist and turn towards their polar opposite.

or something like that. im sleepy, sorry if that doesn't make sense!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jyrffw54 and Claridon like this.
  4. Saru Inc

Saru Inc Schrödinger's Pussy
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4
    I'm an infj when I'm alone, or with people I don't know. I'm an estp on places like this forum.

5. Kavalan

Kavalan Has risen

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    1W9
    As Indy has stated on several occasions I have a general norm that doesn't change over most interactions. Excessive stress and inebriation cause the most deviation and even then it is subject to what's going on.

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    These ads are...

Anyway...

I used to be INFJ all the time in every situation. Through trial and error, I have developed a defense mechanism that tends to turn me ENTP in social situations. When I am in an academic environment, more due to the processing of information than hiding in plain sight, I tend to come across very INTx. It takes a great deal of familiarity before people see me for what I am, but when they realize it, it's so obvious they often smack themselves in the head.

7. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    To most people I will appear as some sort of IxxJ depending on the circumstances. I am more T like around people I don't know well, or do not like. Same thing with S to a lesser extent. In large groups I can be perceived as an E if I am confortable in the setting. Largely once people get to know me they settle on INFJ because they become more aware of my internal processes.

8. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    It also depends on the person. I know some people who don't change much from situation to situation, whereas if I'm going to interact at all, I'll change a great deal.

9. Nixie

Nixie Resurrected

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I can come across very E rather than I. I can use F effectively and just hide/mellow out my T when dealing with others and relate using F. I am horrible with S and usually revert to N in the blink of an eye. S gets me every time and strong Sensors tend to bring out my worse side.

10. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    uwot
    Enneagram:
    _
    http://www.personalitypathways.com/faces.html

11. laurie

laurie Snowblind in Dreamland

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I've appeared quite T-ish or E-ish occasionally. It usually depends on my mood.
    If I'm happy, I try harder with people and I come across E.
    If I'm depressed/irritated, I can't be bothered with my Fe any more and Ti reins.
    I'm not S-ish though, nor P-ish. My N and J functions are very consistant no matter what.
    Usually, though, I'm a complete INFJ.

12. TomarctusHU

TomarctusHU Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INfJ
    Enneagram:
    9(w1)
    I act typically different according where I'm, what I do.
    Typically online I'm much more childish, I wouldn't act like here normally. ( Way too embarrassing... >///> )
    At work I'm much more INTJ, and less introverted than normally, but that is just necessary.

13. Free Mind

Free Mind I'm a Dragon! Rawr!

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJinity
    Yeah...I seem to have a different mask for every person I talk to. I do it without knowing i'm doing it until I study the actions I would do with another person in the same situation.

Most of my friends seem to be on the same level as me thow, so I can be myself. Which is good Jaa?

14. jyrffw54

jyrffw54 שכינה עוֹלֶה

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Many people once, I get to them better, think that I am extroverted, but all it is is me letting my walls down a bit and opening up.

Usually when I meet someone, I tend to act very ENFJish...I think this is the reason that so many of my teachers tend to like me so much.

When I'm in the gym with my workout partner, I can get very S (ISTJ..aka:getting down to business). In fact the guaranteed way to unleash my inner S, is to make me do some sort of intense physical activity.

I don't really try to hide myself too much though.

15. Matariki

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    I act as an ENTP around people that I know quite well, I'm not afriad to be an extroverted individual.
    But generally in public I act my INTP self, I keep to myself and watch the world go by. I have to be careful not to drift off though, its a problem for me at Boxing and Muay Thai. I tend to drift off during training and have a hard time staying focused.

So yeah.

16. Wyote

Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    When people are mad at me they accuse me of being INTJ and when I get super comfortable around them they start thinking I'm INFP.

sassafras likes this.
  17. 88chaz88

88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I feel I act quite E-ish when around those I accept. Strangers are most likely to spot my I-ness.

18. middle1

middle1 Hellur

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Undecided
    When I'm around other introverts (especially at work) I am almost forced to become more extroverted. Sometimes I don't mind but sometimes it aggravates me.

19. Jana

Jana Searching...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    I agree and I like your theroy.
    With years I appear more ES, but it is beacuse in social situations it's easier to put mask and have fun. Plus - little extroversions makes people around happier...
    Anyway, I also have different mask for different ocasions. But under all these masks is just me (I mean not our forum "just me":), I mean I)...
    But, I feel comfortable in E mood if I don't overact it...

20. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1

So what is it like when you act like an ISTJ? Please tell this ISTJ all about it.