Why do I feel retarded? | INFJ Forum

Why do I feel retarded?

juwmil

Apr 24, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I understand that I am not retarded. I live on my own and go to school with decent grades.

I would say I am more aware than I ever knew was possible. Spiritually, mentally, socially, etc.
I feel like my entire life (before this feeling) I was just there, and didn't really know anything worth knowing.
Today, I realize how bad my memory is, and look back at how unaware I used to be.

Is it possible that I have become so (hesitant to use this word) enlightened that I actually feel like I was retarded? Or am I just retarded? And does my INFJ personality affect this, being that I don't feel like I fit in anywhere, have an intuition out the window but sometimes paranoid, and am incapable of having a normal conversation with someone I don't see everyday?

Let me know if you have any questions..

To restate it: sometimes I feel normal, sometimes I feel like there's no way my mind can handle all of this and everyone is treating me a special way and everyone already knows of the connections that I'm finally seeing.

I don't think it's possible to feel retarded.
I don't even think people who are retarded feel retarded.

I think you're misinterpreting your feelings of something else
as retardation.

You might have some mental problems, though I wouldn't refer
to them as some sort of retardation.

and if you're trolling us, shame on you.

Reactions: hush
I think you are smart enough to understand how much you don't know. Stupid people think they have it all figured out.

I understand that I am not retarded. I live on my own and go to school with decent grades.

I would say I am more aware than I ever knew was possible. Spiritually, mentally, socially, etc.
I feel like my entire life (before this feeling) I was just there, and didn't really know anything worth knowing.
Today, I realize how bad my memory is, and look back at how unaware I used to be.

Is it possible that I have become so (hesitant to use this word) enlightened that I actually feel like I was retarded? Or am I just retarded? And does my INFJ personality affect this, being that I don't feel like I fit in anywhere, have an intuition out the window but sometimes paranoid, and am incapable of having a normal conversation with someone I don't see everyday?

Let me know if you have any questions..

To restate it: sometimes I feel normal, sometimes I feel like there's no way my mind can handle all of this and everyone is treating me a special way and everyone already knows of the connections that I'm finally seeing.

mental retardation is a serious affliction and not to be taken lightly. maybe you should use a different descriptive?

Dude, retarded is not the preferred nomenclature. Developmentally delayed, please.

walter.jpg

Let us dissect the word 'retarded', because that word doesn't seem to be employed in the 'proper' sense (as offending as that word be)

Define retarded and you in 15 words.

Like everyone else said. Stop using words like "retarded" as slang. Don't think of yourself as enlightened in the sense that you are. You're in a never ending process towards it.

I don't understand what's so offensive about the word retarded, it quite literally means slowed.

15 WORD GAME

• I feel different - I do and think weird things and other people do normal things.
  • Completely UNAWARE of and unable to understand the connections everyone else is able to make.
  • Everyone else is at a level of understanding beyond mine and my thoughts are juvenile.
  • I feel that people respond to me very different, talking to someone from another world.
  • My inability to remember things that everyone else can makes me think I'm missing something.
  • Bad memory and inability to notice obvious answers commonly recognized by the average human being.
  • Other's actions make me feel ridiculously foolish and brainless while I think I am smarter.

It's just a feeling that I get sometimes. Never mind it if you don't feel this way ever. I'm interested in those that do.

[SUP]...............[/SUP]
I apologize to those that are offended by the word I used. But seriously that's how I feel sometimes. So like the word or not, that is how I feel. I used that word because it fits. I don't use the word too often, don't worry. Sorry that's how I feel!

Thanks for the input so far though :)

Last edited:
What you described doesn't sound like being slow. It seems more like you're waking up to the fact that humans really don't know what is going on and in general operate in a vast field of ignorance. It isn't that everyone is aware and you're clueless. The problem is that most people are completely unaware and aren't even aware of the fact that they are unaware. Once you realize how difficult it is to understand the world and how inadequate we are at doing so, you're making progress.

15 WORD GAME

• I feel different - I do and think weird things and other people do normal things.
  • Completely UNAWARE of and unable to understand the connections everyone else is able to make.
  • Everyone else is at a level of understanding beyond mine and my thoughts are juvenile.
  • I feel that people respond to me very different, talking to someone from another world.
  • My inability to remember things that everyone else can makes me think I'm missing something.
  • Bad memory and inability to notice obvious answers commonly recognized by the average human being.
  • Other's actions make me feel ridiculously foolish and brainless while I think I am smarter.

It's just a feeling that I get sometimes. Never mind it if you don't feel this way ever. I'm interested in those that do.

[SUP]...............[/SUP]
I apologize to those that are offended by the word I used. But seriously that's how I feel sometimes. So like the word or not, that is how I feel. I used that word because it fits. I don't use the word too often, don't worry. Sorry that's how I feel!

Thanks for the input so far though :)
Great. :) See, the problem is more complex than simply 'retarded'; That's the point of it :D

How old are you?
Some perspective to ponder.

Concerning 'other people';
1) Not everyone is more aware, more understanding, more wise, better, etc, etc-- sometimes they just mask it better than you. Sometimes, they are probably devastated that you -are- better than them, in their perspective.
2) People have their differences. Maybe when you look at them, they are functioning in the areas they're good with. Maybe the people you're seeing are just happened to be talented in that, or more obsessed regarding these things (i.e; I might be better in describing psychobabble mumbo jumbo. But you'll probably never see me talking about football clubs because FOOTBALL WHAT FOOTBALL OOH MUSCLE YUM YUM)
3) Some people 'awake' earlier than others; they are those who people will call 'mature faster than their age.'; in contrast, some people are 'awake' later than others. This is actually a good thing, in certain ways. :)

Concerning you;
1) It's a good thing to think that way, personally speaking. Now you can make steps to improve it. :D
2) In what ways are your thoughts juvenile, compared to others? How different are your understanding, compared to theirs?
3) Consider the possibility that you might just be-- different. And different =/= bad and must be eliminated.

I feel literally the exact same way right now... I don't constantly get this way, it's only occasionally.

For those that wish to argue 'Retarded', challenge accepted. Are you really so angry in your own lives that you imply prideful ignorance of one who is clearly seeking your help? Trifolium - This does not apply to you. You are awesome.

Please avoid further hijacking this thread and challenge me here:
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22333&p=624454#post624454

To juwmil...

I definitely understand this and feel this way. It took me 32 years of life on this Earth before I finally became truly aware. If you'd like to see a unique perspective on the matter, read my thread on the Divergent Thinker vs Society here:

http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320

Last edited:
Reactions: Trifoilum
Congratulations, as @Dragon summarized, you are awakening to life and learning. Keep going and never forget what you know. Enlightenment -- a catchphrase for perfect knowledge -- is a very gradual global effort, dance to your own tune and you'll find a way to contribute something lasting. You are hardly alone among all the people of the world, nor even among this forum.

Welcome to the cave.

Last edited:
I think that not being mentally retarded and thinking that you're mentally retarded is one of the surest signs imaginable that you're very intelligent. Also, it seems like one of the surest signs that you're overwhelmingly INFJ--from what I've read and have experienced, we have a nearly drug-like addiction to second-guessing ourselves.

This is exactly how I've been feeling for weeks now. I didn't realize it could be put into words. :/